Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

How do I write Normal characters with normal personalities?

:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Every time I crate a character they always turns out really weird and have too much personality and development.

I would like my characters to be normal and not over the top. I've been reading a book on how to keep your characters "monotone," but I don't think i'm really grasping the concept. I hate having to go back and get rid of character details, but sometimes they are just too developed and I don't want readers to get overwhelmed.

Maybe I should just write it all in dialogue.....

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfanaticalpublishing:
FanaticalPublishing Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
Write long stories, or even series: that way you can start out giving people a basic description of the character, and as the story develops you can add all the details. Spaced out, as it were.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Professional General Artist
It's natural, in my experience, to really develop characters. No one is technically "normal", as we all have our quirks. Now, if your characters are exploding with emotion like rabid anime characters, then there's reason to tone them down, but besides that, so long as they can have a moment where they clearly are just a human being like everyone else, they should be fine.
:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I....oh my.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well how about picking what makes them too strange and taking those qualities out?

I'm sure you'll be fine. All my characters are weird, so I make the rest of the people strange as well. Better to have every character be strange in some way than have strange MCs and everyone else be perfectly normal Joe.
:iconaghorishaivite:
Aghorishaivite Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Writer
There is no such thing as a normal character.
:iconwerewolfferret96:
Werewolfferret96 Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
define normal
:iconkohou:
Kohou Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Character and normal are antonyms.
:icondoodlescribble:
doodlescribble Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student General Artist
Personally, I wouldn't think of making "ordinary" characters, since someone's flaws/weaknesses/strengths/talents make them less than ordinary. That said, never aim for making "ordinary" in anything, since that's nigh impossible.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Make sure they have extra flaws so as to appear inferior to your main character.
:iconmaiquelin:
maiquelin Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
hmmmmm...
normal....
normal people is mostly like cows, the only function is to eat grass and make a lot of poop, the "weird" people normaly is the best for a character
Add a Comment: