Closed to new replies
February 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Revisions.

:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Writer
Looking for different ways to approach editing and revising for my new collection of poems.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013   Writer
good luck
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional General Artist
How do you usually edit?
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Writer
Usually I edit for flow first (rearrange, add/subtract), then focus on how to better articulate the piece. I'll usually do that by expanding on ideas or metaphors (I use them a lot). Lastly I go over it a few more times to make sure it's concise.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
I honestly not know how else you could change your approach, other than giving yourself time away from the piece. I don't write a lot of poetry myself, but the processing of revising never changes much for me. I don't see why it would need to. :shrug:

I guess if you're having trouble with a piece, you can stick it in a drawer, or do what I have done on occasion--make a cut-up out of it. Or you could write it in another style, etc.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Writer
Reading your work aloud is a great method for revising (especially poetry). Your ear will pick up on mistakes that your eye might easily miss.
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Writer
You know, some people have said that but I've never really tried it. I'll give it a go. :)
:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
What hasn't been working for you previously?
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Writer
It's not necessarily what hasn't been working, I'm just looking for ideas. Usually I'm only editing one or two poems at a time and will mill on them for a few days.
:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well one, I would suggest edit them for a short period then put them away for a few days and then go back. In that time you'll be able to come up with new ideas. Also you can ask other to take a look :)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
What do you have so far?
Add a Comment: