Details

Closed to new replies
February 19, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63
:iconamour-raven:
amour-raven Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student Writer
I have hit a major wall in a story that I'm writing. My dialogue seems unrealistic and very choppy. I am wondering if anyone has some tips on how to write fluid dialogue. :aww:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconchristiana-rink:
Christiana-Rink Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Oddly enough, I've found watching youtube videos to be MOST helpful here! When people are recorded in a natural setting as opposed to a movie or an instructional video, you get a great look at word choice and body language. In fact, I just posted a snippet of dialogue from my in-progress novel on my blog. [link]
amour-raven Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student Writer
I never even thought of doing such a thing, that is a great idea!
Thank you! It can't hurt to try. :hug:
:iconchristiana-rink:
Christiana-Rink Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
not a problem, I am happy to help!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Who gives a...?
amour-raven Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Writer
Well, a few others people...but, I'm disregarding you.
Thank you for your time. :hug:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Oh, my dialogue is unrealistic and choppy." Tell me when you have heard a conversation that was realistic and smooth. I will tell you where you have - in the movies.
I completely understand that. It is just when the dialogue becomes too much or when it doesn't sound like an actual conversation. I'm working around the issue, reading and rereading my previous text to assure myself that it doesn't sound, well...too choppy or just bad dialogue. In this case the old cliche comes in handy, "practice makes perfect."
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'd have to look at it to know what is really wrong, but in the meantime don't be too hard on yourself. Dialogue is supposed to be natural, and there is such a thing as divine madness.
Yes, yes there is. :hug:
Thank you very much and I understand that it is irritating to hear about such petty issues that entail common sense, but I just was hoping to get a correlation that might hold some cipher to a hidden chasm of literary knowledge or, you know just some positive advice. :stinkeye:
:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Speak your dialogue out loud before you write it.
Add a Comment: