February 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 124

Libraries: Have they had their day?

:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
I admire this gent's balls anyway.

Deary is calling for a public debate around libraries, and for an end to the "sentimentality" he believes has framed the issue so far. "Why are all the authors coming out in support of libraries when libraries are cutting their throats and slashing their purses?" he asked. "We can't give everything away under the public purse. Books are part of the entertainment industry. Literature has been something elite, but it is not any more. This is not the Roman empire, where we give away free bread and circuses to the masses.

What say you? Looking at this not only as a writer but also as an artist who may wish to gain financially through your craft (and also as a taxpayer supporting libraries) does this man have a point?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Professional
I agree with his point but with the prices of library memberships in Canada these days I'd argue they ain't giving anything away. :/ I haven't been able to afford a damn membership since college when it was free.
:icon3lano:
3lano Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I've always like libraries because I don't need to buy anything in order to enjoy a good book. Not to mention, they hold a lot of activities I can get involved in. I've always loved the library.

I don't think this guy really understands what he's talking about. I mean, you may not be able to afford books. I know a lot of the elementary schools around where I live are really poor, and have old, old books, only getting new ones every now and then. Not to mention the fact that as some people have already said, it can lead to purchases. Some books you just can't live without! I've never thought of libraries as a bad thing in this way. :c Not to mention libraries have many old books and records from a long time ago. I go there when I'm researching a topic, or looking for something interesting.

But in short, I disagree with this guy a lot.
:iconmaiquelin:
maiquelin Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
that guy isn't a writer, a writer wants to make books and if he gets money for that better, but in certain way that part is secondary.
also the libraries are a part of the society, you can go and find a little diamond there if you are lucky
:iconlittle-wild-one:
little-wild-one Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
So I loan his book from a library, he feels cheated because he earns less money than if I'd have bought it? But take away libraries, he doesn't get any money at all from me, because I wouldn't buy it. I think he's a greedy piece of shit who just wants to make more money. Hell, I like making money too, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of libraries and people who use them. The library in our town is great. I'd have more books than I have space for if I bought them all. Why should I have to limit the amount I read because of money and space issues, when I can use a library instead and take them back when I'm done?

Anyway, that's what he gets for writing educational books. People always loan them from libraries instead of buying them. Just like people buy more dvds of movies than they do documentaries. He wouldn't make half as much money as he has done if there were no libraries. Asshole.
:iconnycterent:
nycterent Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Writer
Getting books at the library was my gateway to being a reader - and eventually - a writer. And I still use libraries, though now I tend to use its online counterpart more. 

This depends on jurisdiction, but every so and so number of lends, an author received a check in their mailbox from libraries. That, and books sold to libraries do make a difference, especially for those authors who have not made it superbig.

Libraries are also community hubs that offer a lot more resources than just books. 
:iconpolaroidred:
PolaroidRed Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My mother is a reference librarian for a public library, Library's do more than just loan out books now a days, my mother basically has to answer any question the public can come up with, they also teach courses on computers. They are also a good resource for collage students to find answers for their classes. My mother doesn't just deal with elderly people that haven't adapted to new technology. Library's are still very busy. Maybe in the next 20 years they will be obsolete but for now they are still working okay.
:icontuesdaynightcompany:
TuesdayNightCompany Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
I think that guy's thinking is pretty flawed. He's bitching about potential lost profits and such. But frankly, about 50% of the books I own I read first in a library, for free. It's free promotion, in my opinion. But the non-fiction is invaluable. My researches have always been supported by the printed books in libraries. I think libraries, along with roads and defense of one's country, are the most valuable things a government can operate for it's people.
:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I see that there's a decline in libraries but once technology is incorporated, they'll be back and better than ever.
As a matter of fact, I work as a librarian's assistant. Before we introduced new tech systems into the place, we were doing alright. Slow days here, busy days there. Patrons of all ages coming & going. But once those new technology programs were incorporated into the library, we've been busier than ever! More people now come in and take part in the many features we have to offer!
:iconbarbecuediguana:
BarbecuedIguana Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
First off, go watch the movies Robot & Frank pronto! Especially you Jay.

I don't agree with him. Not everything in the library is donated, libraries actually buy many many books. And taking stuff out of the library has led me to make actual purchases. It's better than nothing.
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
Wow, I never heard of that. Is it streaming anywhere?
Add a Comment: