Details

Closed to new replies
February 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Introducing The Main Character

:icontigerfey:
Something I want to ask in regards to meeting the main character.

Is it wise that the main character isn't introduced till the second chapter? In my novel, supporting characters such as supporting heroes and the villains are introduced in the first chapter but the real main hero isn't met till chapter 2. Chapter 1 is more to set the world we're in.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaircatskylion:
AircatSkylion Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Do what you like and if it works then it doesn't matter if it's 'right' or not.
:iconmondu:
Fine. Just don't do it the way Clive Barker does. Sometimes he introduces the main character a couple of hundred or so pages in. Kinda annoying because the character in the previous pages just dropped out of sight.
:iconnishi:
I think it's fine. 8D Heck, you could probably focus on the villains for half a story before coming across a hero that'll get rid'a them. The reverse happens plenty often too.

I just hope it's not that kinda cliche thing where a story focuses on some scene where the viewer has no idea what's happening or who's who, and it's all basically just stuff that won't make sense until later - and theeeeen the next part has a proper introduction and story. 8D
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There's nothing wrong with waiting a bit until we meet the main character. However:

Chapter 1 is more to set the world we're in.

THIS is a problem.
:iconmemnalar:
Yeah, that should really be done in the prologue.

::runs, hides::
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:iconhulksmashplz:
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As long as it works, whatever.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Do you need a whole chapter to set the stage? Is there a reason it's not done from the MC's perspective?

Bulgakov pulls it off in 'The Master and Margarita,' but I think that whole book is fairly unique.
:iconcindertwig:
Isn't a set the stage chapter called a prolouge?
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It can be, good point!

Cf. discussion on how prologues are usually unnecessary. :B
Add a Comment: