Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Should I keep working on this or give up?

:iconmsbananananner:
MsBananaNanner Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I started a fanfic (eragon series) but I need someone who has some sort of writing experience or has written something themselves to tell me if its worth even putting forth effort to keep working on... ( and know the series of course)
As of now I've written almost 15 pages which is really only the beginning of the story, but I don't want to write a whole thing if its just "another fanfic" and isn't interesting at all... I don't have it on deviantart, as it is a rough draft (like...really rough.) and I'm self conscious of it, but if anyone is interested in helping, you can pm me your email and i will send you the file and a quick synopsis of the rest of the story :)
If you helped me I would freaking love you forever!!! (Srsly guise I need help so bad D:)
Any questions just ask :)

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lock: If you want feedback on your work, you can post it to the site and then share those thumbnails in the Deviation Thumbshare or Monthly Critique sticky within this forum. If you'd like to specifically find a beta reader to give you feedback, I recommend posting in the Projects forum or going through an Eragon group (probably a more appreciative audience). :)

Please see the forum sticky for more information - [link]
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I came here to say what ~saartha said. Write. Even if no one else ever reads it, write. Every writer you see here has files and files full of stories that no one else is interested in reading. That's how they got to the point where they can write so that it's worth someone else's time.

Learning to write well takes practice just like any other art.
:iconsaartha:
saartha Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Even if the story sucks, if you don't write it then how are you supposed to improve? It's fanfic, so it's just for entertainment anyway. If you're having fun, then why not?
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
If it is just for fun (as fanfic are), don't do what you don't want to do.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Writer
you are the one doing the work.  you are the one who can answer that question.
if you love what you're doing, keep doing it.  if you hate it, stop.  it's that easy.
learn how to work these things out for yourself.
:iconmsbananananner:
MsBananaNanner Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I see what your saying, it's just that I don't want to take all the time to write it if no ones going to read it or enjoy it when I could just as easily just keep it in my head. Basically I want someone's opinion if it has a chance of turning out decent/understandable or if its just another typical story :/
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Writer
what do you mean no one's gonna read it? if you're posting it here and are promoting yourself and your writing, it will be read. you have to keep in mind some things -- you are competing for the attention of people and there are millions of things they could be doing instead of reading your writing (or mine, or anyone else who posts writing here), and i'm not just talking about dA. they're eating, sleeping, studying, playing games, watching movies, working, being with friends, being otherwise occupied with their lives that you can not control. so come to terms with that real quick.

also, consider your goals. if you just want people to read your work but don't want to write unless people will read your work, what is the point? i've been here for 10 years and somewhat "known" in the lit community but that doesn't mean anyone reads my work either but does that stop me? no. because i like writing. it's fun for me. that's why i do it. if it wasn't fun, i wouldn't bother. but if just a few people take a look at my stories, that makes me happy.

you are at a point where you've got to practice for your own personal benefit and improvement. you can't make people do what you want so if you are relying on them to make you do something, why bother? and i don't know what "another typical story" means. you can only control your abilities -- only you can know whether or not what you're writing is understandable, whatever that means, too.

how often do you read books/stories for enjoyment? how long have you been writing?
how often do you read other writers at deviantART? how often do you critique?
how often do you give back to this community? do you take more than you give?

stop worrying about what other people are doing and do this for yourself first. if it's something that they want to read, which you also can't control, they will come. but until then, learn and practice.
Add a Comment: