Closed to new replies
February 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 246

Why do you poem/prose?

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Okay, for those of you who generally write in one over the other: why? I know a fair amount of us dabble in multiple formats, but in general people tend to do one most, and the question here is - why?

Oh, feel free to mention what it is you tend to do. Novels? Flashfic? Tanka? &c.

Fair warning, there are two common responses I can imagine that will make me bring out the :icondickkickplz:.

THINK IT THROUGH.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcamelopardalisinblue:
camelopardalisinblue Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I definitely write poetry more often than anything else, though I do write other things sometimes.

To be honest I'm not sure why I write poetry more than any other style -- maybe it's because other styles tend to require more forethought or time -- I write in a single sitting, most of the time, and I write straight from the gut with no real idea of where the piece is headed. I know you can do that with prose, but I tend to start a prose piece and then walk away from it, leaving it unfinished. ;) Perhaps it's just that writing poetry requires less patience (for me) than prose does!

I'm very curious what the "dick kick" responses were, will you enlighten me? :)
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
OH NO YOU FOUND ONE. :icondickkickplz: insufficient motivation to write is a terrible reason! Also, not planning. :P (On the other hand, actively not wanting to, I can live with that. We're not all hellbent on pro-ness.)

Anyway, the other one is 'poetry is the only way to get my feelings out.' Don't tell anyone.
camelopardalisinblue Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*giggles* I'm so glad I'm a girl then! :p

It's not exactly insufficient motivation to write, though. I have plenty of motivation to write, I just don't like revisiting things -- I'm fickle! ;) I also have a personality disorder that contributes because I find it difficult to find the 'pace' where I left it, which means if I return at a later date, I'm likely to completely jump moods, which is very offputting (to say the least).

As for planning, I can plan, I just don't like to. ;) I suspect I get 'bored' with things when I know where they're going, which contributes to not finishing things. My last NaNo attempt was quite well planned out into a notebook! (But yes, it's still unfinished. :p)

Really though, I'm still giggling over the dick kick. I promise not to tell your dirty little secret to anyone! ;)
Getting kicked in the pelvic bone still hurts like hell :P

Hmmm, why not write it all and then go back and edit it into something closer to seamlessness? People's moods do change from scene to scene, too, so the trick may be writing stuff out of order.

Doesn't matter :stare:

Woo!
LOL, this is true!

I do do that sometimes, but mostly it just works better for me to concentrate mainly on poetry. Also, editing is revisiting, too. Fickle, I tell you! ;)

Another possible reason is that mostly I write short moments rather than more in-depth stories. Again, can be achieved through prose, but poetry is more often how it appears. ;)

Please don't think from this though that I only write prose when I have to -- for me they're just very different campsites, and I visit them for different reasons. ;) I might camp more often beside a river, but I can still appreciate the beauty and fun of camping on the beach, too.
Srsdude.

Hence the dick kicks! Don't make me bring the boob punch out.

I did read a book that's a series of vignettes. It was good, it's called 'Ru.'

I'm cool with that last view :nod:
:D

That book sounds interesting, do you know who it was by?
Kim Thuy
:iconstellar-queen:
stellar-queen Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student Artist
I like writing poems but most of the time I end up writing prose. I still get the two confuzzled sometimes lol
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, what do you read more of?
Definitely poetry. I like when a poem really makes me think. It could have various meanings from complex language, and I find when trying to write poems when not getting it confuzzled with prose loljk that it puts my chaoticness in perspective.
Interesting perspective on it :O Ever read more literary fiction?
Seldomly now, but when I was a teenager I was a Harry Potter addict. From Harry Potter I got into reading some other young adult novels like A Series of Unfortunate Events, I want Candy, Heavy Metal and You... Since I started going to art school I have less time to read but it's still fun getting lost in a book and reading for hours on end. How about you? :)
That's not literary fiction though, it's genre. Literary's more like 'hey let's explore characters and ideas and stuff...oh, plot, you wanted a plot?' :lol:

Haha, I used to save Sundays in college for books. When I didn't have any exams coming up or my friends hadn't gotten new videogames, anyway.

I read a lot, but it's mostly nonfiction nowadays.
:icontheknottedpoet:
TheKnottedPoet Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student Writer
Poetry. It's the way I think.
Could you explain that more?
Yep. When I get angry at someone or something, my mind begins to think in short "scentences", much like the poetry I write. When I'm mad, I'll sit down and write exactally what comes to mind, which is often in the form of a poem. Rather than trying to make sense of all that in my mind and turn it into comprehensable scentences, I turn it into comprehensable phrases and lump them together. I feel it makes more sense for the reader and it's slightly less work on my part ;)
I don't see why that would be poetry and not prose though ^^;
To be totally honest, prose makes no sense to me. I write poetry because it makes sense to me, in my mind, like I explained above. If I were to write something that didn't make sense to me, I'd be no good. If you were to read one of my poems that is exactally what was running through my mind when I wrote it. I added or took away few words only to make it flow more easily. If you look at a poem or two of mine it can't be prose because of the style it's written in. I don't know how else I can explain it unless you read one of my poems. Sorry, this isn't a very good answer :(
I think studying prose and poetry more indepth would help that :hug: I mean, an academic whatever isn't the end-all, but it does help with the language. :)
:iconmackwrites:
mackwrites Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
What about you?

Look at me, not answering the question :giggle:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.... You'd better answer, too! :p

I write prose, I'm uncomfortable with poetry because of my inability to analyze it (lack of academic background) and also I can't hear meter.
mackwrites Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
:P

Well I normally do prose because I like telling stories and poetry has a much small scale for story-telling!
Epic poetry! :P
mackwrites Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
Ain't nobody got time for that!
:lol:
:icongentlemananachronism:
GentlemanAnachronism Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Prose, because I enjoy telling stories (and, I have to admit, screwing with people's emotions. It's always gratifying to get someone going 'this made me cry' and not referring to the quality). And hell, with a head full of very vocal people, it's write prose or sit there having conversations with them all day, and only one of those gets you looked at as being completely cracked.

I'll write poetry to unwind or as a challenge, but I can't use it to play on people's emotions the way I can use prose, and it doesn't stir stuff in me when I'm writing it - even the darkest and most ohgods poetry I write has never left me actually shaking the way ending up in someone's headspace to write prose for them does.

My prose writing's clunky, beige, fairly boring - is because it's a vehicle for the characters and the narrative. With poetry, I get to play with words a wee bit more, actually start making them colourful.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That's interesting, I'd think of it as the other way around: use poetry for the emotions and get overly detailed in prose! :P
:icongentlemananachronism:
GentlemanAnachronism Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
XD The styles of poetry I can write don't lend themselves to that, sadly - I'm happiest with Kipling/Service-esque rhyme, which takes anger and satire fairly nicely but is more tricky to fit softer emotions in (they could do it, I'm nowhere near that skilled).
Ahhhh.
:iconthe-monoblos:
The-Monoblos Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Writer
For me personally it's Prose-Novels, usually fantasy though I have at times really wanted dabble in other genres.

For me, I love intricacies in stories; lots of little points in intricacies I guess but they all add up. I love creating lots of characters (probably too many), giving them each their own stories and then being able to weave them all together over the course of hell knows how many words. I guess I also like trying to work who will like what storyline, who will take some things well or some things not so well in real life. It's kind of fun having lots of fun with characters and then three years down the line having people say "That's a cool character doing some cool stuff with dragons at the end of the wor..." (SPOILERS!).

It does also just give me a really nice sense of accomplishment every time I do actually finish an absurdly long project. I feel good most times I do stuff on short term bases but when stuff takes up to a year to do, sometimes more, including releasing it, getting lovely feedback - it does to me feel more rewarding this way.

I guess a lot of it does come down to me actually having an interest in world building as well as just novels - with something like fantasy you can't really write a novel without creating some world in your head - or at the very least looking at the existing world(s) and turning everything on its head in some form or another. They go hand in hand.

I probably could go on and continue to romanticize novels but ... I really ought get to back to it. I do need to finish my current manuscript pronto... :D
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"It does also just give me a really nice sense of accomplishment every time I do actually finish an absurdly long project." - I personally think a good epic poem would be even more satisfying, if only because I've managed to finish three full manuscripts solo and can't get past the tenth line of a poem. :P

But yeah, novels are much better for world building.

GO!
:iconthe-monoblos:
The-Monoblos Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Writer
haha - I do have a response coming on the retrobates prosetry - I am just swamped to finish up right now
:giggle: fair enough!
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Writer
I write prose because it is what my muse inspires me to write and it is how I express to and connect with the world and the stories I write just have to be written! It's like they already exist in the universal subconscious and with muse I am just channelling them onto the page!
Well played, sir. :iconlazykickplz:
:iconapocalypticangel4792:
ApocalypticAngel4792 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Writer
I definitely write more prose than poetry, but that's mainly because it's easier for me to write prose. Poetry has so many rules, and every single word carries a huge weight. Prose just flows for me, and I can spend hours just writing prose: If it doesn't flow, I can fix it later. Poetry, for me, always gets thrown in a drawer and forgotten: I don't feel like slaving over it to make it better. Do I get on poetry kicks every now and then? Yes. But I'll always prefer prose, especially novels.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
" Poetry has so many rules, and every single word carries a huge weight."

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

:B

Anyway, I wouldn't rely too much on it always flowing. There are times when you need to write stuff - just because it's normally easy doesn't mean it's a good idea to not develop a technique for making it happen when you have to.
ApocalypticAngel4792 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Writer
Yeah, I'm taking a class on poetry, so we've had that concept driven into us over the past few weeks. Hmm...it's actually been a month now. What happened to this semester:faint:

I've found that I enjoy doing acrostic poems for some reason, and you can make them work with any form if you try hard enough. I don't know about doing an acrostic sestina or anything, but I could make it work in a pinch. It's easier for me to write out a page of prose in a few minutes still, but judging by some of the horrific stories I've seen here and on fanfiction.net, anyone can do that.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:giggle: it's scary how much time flies!

Oh yeah, so `zebrazebrazebra got me onto the mesostic, and it's almost the only type of poetry that doesn't give me sads. Mostly because I've been using it as an excuse to stick dirty words into otherwise innocuous looking things. :B
ApocalypticAngel4792 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Writer
Ooh dirty words:mwahaha: Poetry allows you that sometimes, especially since many curse words are one-syllable and start with various letters (which helps for acrostics). Hmm...I just thought of a good poetry challenge for myself: Try to write a poem with as much smut as possible while sticking to a traditional form. I'll let you know how it goes.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I need to see this. :eager:
:iconsilverinkblot:
SilverInkblot Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I try not to limit myself, but I've come to specialize in flash fic more than anything else. I used to write short, drabbly bits back when I did a lot of fanfiction and accidentally trained myself into brevity. So much so that it's very difficult for me to write anything longer. I like building images and letting readers extrapolate a story from that. There's something really satisfying about fitting a lot into very little.

And now that I'm working on a book of the stuff, I have more reason to keep my focus there :B
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Brevity is a wonderful thing :nod:

Ha, seriously!
:iconemmyisazebra:
EmmyIsAZebra Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Novel writing. The simple reason, I'm more comfortable with the long term commitment. XD But the more complicated reasons (and try not to :icondickkickplz: me for this) are that I've always wanted to write Christian friendly fiction that wasn't so... stinking... CORNY and unreal. Like, I would be comfortable if some of my Christian books were actually banned from Christian book stores. ;p

Seriously, have you ever picked up a book in the Christian fiction section? Most of them are horrible romances mirroring principles that a nun would live by. I kind of wanted to have more realistic portrayals of what the Christian walk is really like (and it's not always a stinking hallmark special) but in order to get there I need to learn how to write and keep my audience interested. It's not that I always want to write Christ themed books either, since the majority of my stories are about serial killers and how to kill them. I also feel like I have a lot more studying in the Bible to do before I even touch christian fiction, so I mainly just write and try to have fun while I'm learning how to write and most importantly try to write stuff that I would want to read... which is always easier said than done.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That's awesome! :iconepichighfiveplz: I don't read Christian fiction for the very straightforward reason that no one in my family has ever touched a Bible (well, maybe a few in motel rooms), but I've noticed they have this tendency to be like SLAP YOU IN THE FACE WITH JESUS—or just be really really self-helpy. I think it's worth noting that people can write books influenced by religion without religiousing everywhere, too. ('Twilight,' hello.)
EmmyIsAZebra Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Oh yes, exactly. I think that's all I really want to do- to be able to write fiction passionately, realistically, but clean and fun to read and without having people notice the difference. I think I'm too nervous to write boldy about biblical things right now. The SLAP YOU IN THE FACE WITH JESUS thing is something I know TOO MUCH about. I live in the Bible belt where a lot of churches "trick" the public into evangelical events. I think it's really stupid so I don't want to be writing something and then tricking my readers into a sermon. Gah, that would just piss them off... heck it'd piss me off depending on how it was done. If I'd have Jesus in the story, it'd be blunt but hopefully realistic and at least people would have a warning. XD
Awesome! (Except for being scared of writing about Biblical things, ever read *TarienCole's stuff, btw? He's not bad at it.)

Oh maaaan lame.

Also BTW I totally want an expansion of that response to your pastor.
EmmyIsAZebra Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm working on that fear! Lol, it's just really easy to offend people on the internet period and I just want to work on my communication skills a little more. XD

Hahaha! The justification notes? XD I'm working up one on sanctification but it's taking a little longer, so many things to say!
:giggle: The trick is differentiating when it's them being ridiculous - 90% of the time, honestly - and then something you need to change. Some people look for excuses to be angry.

oooooh!
Add a Comment: