Closed to new replies
February 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 246

Why do you poem/prose?

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Okay, for those of you who generally write in one over the other: why? I know a fair amount of us dabble in multiple formats, but in general people tend to do one most, and the question here is - why?

Oh, feel free to mention what it is you tend to do. Novels? Flashfic? Tanka? &c.

Fair warning, there are two common responses I can imagine that will make me bring out the :icondickkickplz:.

THINK IT THROUGH.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcamelopardalisinblue:
camelopardalisinblue Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I definitely write poetry more often than anything else, though I do write other things sometimes.

To be honest I'm not sure why I write poetry more than any other style -- maybe it's because other styles tend to require more forethought or time -- I write in a single sitting, most of the time, and I write straight from the gut with no real idea of where the piece is headed. I know you can do that with prose, but I tend to start a prose piece and then walk away from it, leaving it unfinished. ;) Perhaps it's just that writing poetry requires less patience (for me) than prose does!

I'm very curious what the "dick kick" responses were, will you enlighten me? :)
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
OH NO YOU FOUND ONE. :icondickkickplz: insufficient motivation to write is a terrible reason! Also, not planning. :P (On the other hand, actively not wanting to, I can live with that. We're not all hellbent on pro-ness.)

Anyway, the other one is 'poetry is the only way to get my feelings out.' Don't tell anyone.
camelopardalisinblue Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*giggles* I'm so glad I'm a girl then! :p

It's not exactly insufficient motivation to write, though. I have plenty of motivation to write, I just don't like revisiting things -- I'm fickle! ;) I also have a personality disorder that contributes because I find it difficult to find the 'pace' where I left it, which means if I return at a later date, I'm likely to completely jump moods, which is very offputting (to say the least).

As for planning, I can plan, I just don't like to. ;) I suspect I get 'bored' with things when I know where they're going, which contributes to not finishing things. My last NaNo attempt was quite well planned out into a notebook! (But yes, it's still unfinished. :p)

Really though, I'm still giggling over the dick kick. I promise not to tell your dirty little secret to anyone! ;)
Getting kicked in the pelvic bone still hurts like hell :P

Hmmm, why not write it all and then go back and edit it into something closer to seamlessness? People's moods do change from scene to scene, too, so the trick may be writing stuff out of order.

Doesn't matter :stare:

Woo!
LOL, this is true!

I do do that sometimes, but mostly it just works better for me to concentrate mainly on poetry. Also, editing is revisiting, too. Fickle, I tell you! ;)

Another possible reason is that mostly I write short moments rather than more in-depth stories. Again, can be achieved through prose, but poetry is more often how it appears. ;)

Please don't think from this though that I only write prose when I have to -- for me they're just very different campsites, and I visit them for different reasons. ;) I might camp more often beside a river, but I can still appreciate the beauty and fun of camping on the beach, too.
Srsdude.

Hence the dick kicks! Don't make me bring the boob punch out.

I did read a book that's a series of vignettes. It was good, it's called 'Ru.'

I'm cool with that last view :nod:
:D

That book sounds interesting, do you know who it was by?
Kim Thuy
:iconstellar-queen:
stellar-queen Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student Artist
I like writing poems but most of the time I end up writing prose. I still get the two confuzzled sometimes lol
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, what do you read more of?
Add a Comment: