Closed to new replies
February 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

How To Snag A Publisher

:iconvampobsessed:
VampObsessed Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I just signed a book contract! That's right, folks! My novel will be seeing the light of day after all! I got an amazing offer from some amazing people that I just couldn't turn down. They believe in my work just as much as I do and are very supportive. After a hundred rejections, I managed to snag that one yes! The one that counted!

I never thought I'd say it, but I understand what every author says now. I was told that there's only one publisher for your book and you have to drown in the muk before finding the gem. It's true. I got turned down by a lot of publishers and agents that I really had my heart set on, but I wouldn't trade my publisher for any one of those others. I'm glad they all told me no or I never would have come across my new friends.

I'd like to share a few tips I picked up over the past six months.

Getting published is hard! I know that's what everyone says, but having firsthand experience, I can now say it personally. Getting published is hard! With that said, I'd like to also say that it is by no means impossible. If you have something good, self-motivation, and belief in your work, it will happen. I will say this, though, you will not find a publisher or agent without putting in hours and hours and more hours of work. You need to research which ones are looking for manuscripts like yours and don't stretch it. If you have to fudge it a little then they are not right for you and you will receive that dreaded rejection.

Don't get discouraged when you do receive a rejection; yes, they are all generic. They will not tell you what was wrong with it. Don't take it personally, keep going until you find the right one. You will find the right one; if you don't, you didn't work hard enough.

Show the professionals that you are ready to help promote you book, that you believe in it with every fiber of your being. Start a webpage, discussions on a blog, a Facebook Page, get interested fans before it even exists. If you have prospective buyers before you're even published, it's impressive. They love that you can get people interested in something that doesn't technically exist, yet! Send them a promotional proposal, an outline of your plans in helping make sales; let's face it, even if they believe in your book, they and you, want sales!

One last piece of advice for now, do not come off as 'pathetic'. You can be courteous without sounding like they are doing you the biggest favor in the world. If you get signed or asked to send a full manuscript in, simply say thank you. Do not go on and on about how happy you are they're taking the time to read your book and blah blah blah. You need to be confident in your manuscript. If you sound like they're doing you such a big favor in giving your manuscript any time at all it sounds as if you don't think your book is worth their time. Remember, your book deserves the highest priority and that's what you need to make it come across as!

These are just a few tips on how I landed that publishing contract! Good luck and keep with it!

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lock: While this is totally exciting news, this is better suited to your journal as it doesn't start a discussion. (You may want to look at #TheShelfLife, by the way). If you would like to talk about your experiences with publishing or answer questions, you can start a thread focused on discussion although there is currently an active topic about all things publishing-related - [link]

Congrats! :excited:
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Feb 4, 2013  Professional Writer
Congrats! Small publishers can be wonderful! My first novella was published through a small publisher and they worked very closely with me and my agent to get my book ready for the release date. I'm sure your publishers and agent will do the same.

I wish you the best of luck through the whole process! It takes a long while and a lot of work, but it's going to be worth it in the end ;)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
A small publisher is still a publisher. Congratulations! This is a huge step, and you have every reason to be proud of making it!
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Feb 4, 2013   Digital Artist
I have a question, maybe three: Why would people be interested in a book that doesn't exist? Did you get any 'fans' who don't know you? Does that sort of Facebook thing really help? Is the promotional proposal something you work on with your agent?
Add a Comment: