February 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 253

Confessionals!

:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013   Writer
Hello all!

Welcome to the confessional box! In this thread, it is time to admit your literature based confessions!

The Rules

:bulletblue: Don't post "all my writing is about my innermost feels" Why? Because duh, usually that is obvious and not exactly a confession! Plus, if you've been here a while, you'll realise we don't do sympathy.

:bulletblue:  If you have a response/solution to some of the confessions, feel free to respond!

:bulletblue: This is about your WRITING confessions, not about your dA issues. (So don't confess to us you're obsessed with favourites or images of grumpy cats).

My confessions

Forgive me all, for I have sinned...

:bulletpink: I didn't know how to use a semi colon until I joined dA. I was 21 at the time.
:bulletblue: I used to use the structure of famous poems to structure my own- just changed the words!
:bulletblue: I still have unfinished scripts I started 8 years ago that I swear I am going to finish, but still they remain open- and I'm not even sure if the original drafts are on a usb stick.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
OK OK OK I CONFESS!

- I failed NaNoWriMo each time. Even the camp ones.
- I am horrible at poetry.
- My short stories turn into super long ones
- And when the teacher gives us a writing assignment, I write much more than what was asked for. I turned a 2 page assignment into a 17 page story. Well....it got a 110% but it put her behind in grading other kids papers, set the standards too high and other kids hated me in that class.
:iconsaxonpride:
SaxonPride Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013
Here's my confession - I have no talent. None. Zero. I mean nothing as a human being and my writing means even less.
No one cares what I write, no one gives a shit and no one will remember me when I'm dead because I won't even have the smallest book left to mark my time here. I'm a hack, a charlatan and a nobody.
Once I enjoyed writing, but now every time I write a story I'm reminded that no one will read it and if they did they wouldn't give a flying fuck.
My spirit was shattered into a million pieces a long time ago and no one ever thought to try and piece it back together. I try to write human characters but I'm fundamentally inhuman and empty - so I have nothing of any worth to share with you.
I'm just a waste of skin and bone, I shouldn't have even been born for all the good I've done.
:iconjeffandwilbur:
JeffandWilbur Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013   Writer
I can't write for more than a few minutes without somehow spiraling into a rant laced with anti-catholocism and misogyny. Don't know why.
I also tend to be very punctual in my writing. It always makes me angry that the writers I read can describe the most mundane things in tens of pages, while I struggle to stretch a long journey into three.
:icondesert-druid:
desert-druid Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I still haven't completed writing a full length novel. The one I've done the most work on is probably between 70,000-80,000 words.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student General Artist
I fail at not writing run-on sentences. I also fail at using semi-colons. :stare:
:icondoodlescribble:
doodlescribble Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student General Artist
Just a few:

1. I've never really wanted to write a whole novel, per se. I've always leaned towards wanting to make short story compilations, since I work best at worldbuilding/characterization through short stories.

2. I cannot write villains that are so far into "complete monster" territory. Maybe it's because I still struggle with putting conflict with characters I love or I just don't know how to write evil people.
:iconchangealex:
changealex Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
The priest and penitent are in separate compartments and speak to each other through a grid or lattice. A crucifix is sometimes hung over the grille. The priest will usually sit in the middle and the penitents will enter the compartments to either side of him. The priest can close off the other compartment by a sliding screen so that only one person will be confessing at a time. Kneelers are provided in the compartments on each side of the priest, sometimes a prie-dieu style kneeler, or sometimes a diagonal kneeler built into the walls of the confessional.

Beccalicious Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013   Writer
what?
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol: totes a spambot.
:iconpanzerknacker73:
PanzerKnacker73 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I write commas all the time and mostly unnecessary ones.
:iconmaiquelin:
maiquelin Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
-i make use and abuse of comas and italic, a lot.
-my cats usually convert a part that i have selected by pressing a random key at the exact time.
-i cant make original characters!i have been "seriusly" writing for a short time, but it still bothering me
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Writer
I am a poor speller of words. :D
:iconchristiana-rink:
Christiana-Rink Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Here goes nothing...

1.) I am horrible at writing villains, not because I can't think of what to do with them but because I feel queasy whenever I place an emotionally damaging obstacle in front of a protagonist. For a moment, I forget they aren't real and I feel like an ass for putting them through traumatic life events.

2.) I think I abuse and misuse commas. I am sure I abuse and misuse commas. I know I abuse and misuse commas. (admitting it is the first step, right?)

3.) I struggle to find a balance between description and dialogue. More often than not, I'll find myself completely engrossed in one and ignoring the other, to the point where I start to second guess the entire piece of writing.
:icondoodlescribble:
doodlescribble Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student General Artist
Ditto on writing villains. I just don't know how to write evil people, methinks.

And there's always that fine balance between description and dialogue; I think I've tipped the scales more than once already =P
:iconsnowchime:
snowchime Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Writer
I get so jealous of great writers (Tina Fey, Neil Gaiman) that I can't read/watch their work, thus impairing my own! (The best way to write is to read.)
:iconinnercartwheel:
innercartwheel Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student General Artist
I can't write anything. Therefore, I write little. Therefore, I can't write anything.
I haven't properly finished anything.
My writing sounds like bad poetry because my flow of thought has a cadence and translates to paper as terribly jagged prose.
I make myself a minor character in some stories.
My plots have loopholes. Huge ones. Thus interrupting the story and putting it on hiatus, where I pull my hair out trying to figure something out. And then I get distracted by another idea.
:icondreamworld88:
Dreamworld88 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Writer
I have written three Mary Sues, and not for parody either:rip: (Luckily, I've learned to give my characters flaws and not give them everything want.)
I have plagiarized characters I am writing now from stories I wrote that I never finished.
I haven't submitted any stories here because I'm scared I'll never finish them, which has happened a lot.
:iconafterthenonsequitur:
AfterTheNonSequitur Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I never write chronologically.
It really annoys me when people use free verse as an excuse to write a poem however they want, so when someone negatively critiques their poem they say, "OMG IT'S FREE VERSE THAT MEANS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT!!!11!" And yet... nearly all my poetry falls under the free verse category. :iconhypocriteplz:
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
:bulletblue: Although spelling is my strong suit, there are some words I still don't know how to spell (that some argue I should know by now). Same thing goes for definitions of words.

:bulletblue: I think the dictionary is fun to read.

:bulletblue: Looking back, I realized how much stories I wrote always have two people (as main characters) and the plots are the same. Been tired of making expies and have tried to work away from that.
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I shall confess my sins...

1) I am terrible at proof reading. I just don't have the patience to sit there reading a wall of my own sloppy text! I usually just lazily skim over it.

2) When I write stories, I have a habit of changing from first to third person narration suddenly.

3) I spend a lot of time designing and developing characters, but never seem to find a way to use said characters
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I always start writing something and then I leave it for a while, telling myself I will get back to it.....but more often than not, I never do...
:iconimaginative-lioness:
imaginative-lioness Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I do this all the time!
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know!
And then, you end up with all these half-stories and random paragraphs floating around.
:iconvigilo:
Vigilo Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Writer
:bulletred: I can't spell aforementioned. :stare:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It looks like you can now :)
:iconliliwrites:
LiliWrites Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Forgive me, Mrs. Blakemore, for I have failed you. (She was my 10th grade English teacher.)

1. I almost always mix up "to" and "the" when I'm typing. And spell checker doesn't catch it, so I have to be extra careful to proof-read before I post anything. You can always tell when I've been lazy about proof-reading because there will be sentences like "She looked him in to eye before she spat in his face." 

2. I over-use italics, especially in poetry. :ashamed:

3. I get cramps in my wrist and fingers if I write by hand so I only hand-write letters, and they usually take about a week to finish. :facepalm:

4. I am awful at writing villains. They always come off like cardboard cut-outs of Dracula and Freddy Krueger's secret love-child.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh man I have the cramps issue too D: like Scott McCloud says, respect those wrists!
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Forgive me Cthulhu, for I have sinned...

1. I'm not one to misspell words often (i.e. they come out right the first time I type them) but I always fuck up words with "const" in them. "Constitution" and "construction" being the main examples--I always either forget the "s" or the last "t", or both. Contrucion. (There is one exception: I always seem to get "constant" and its derivatives right every time)

2. The only piece of literature that I have actually posted online that I will readily own up to is a Metroid fanfic. (It's not a slash fic, in case you're wondering)

3. I use commas more than I should, and also semicolons; after all, the usages of both can be bent so effectively, you know?

4. I don't read many novels at all. The last one I completed willingly (i.e. not for required academic reading) was the Maximum Ride main trilogy... back in 2006.

5. 99% of my characters are male; 99% of my female characters are background characters (i.e. they don't really serve the plot all that much); 100% of my female characters are insanely underdeveloped.

6. I am lazy as hell.
:iconsurrealcachinnation:
SurrealCachinnation Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013   Writer
1. You know the saying, "You're your own worst critic?" That describes me perfectly. Everything I ever write, no matter how proud of it I am at the time, sometime down the road I end up ripping apart. Nothing ever feels good enough.

2. To this day, I second guess myself about commas. There are so many dang rules. When I was in high school, I'd sometimes make B's on papers just because I used commas in places that didn't need them, even when the content was great. Sometimes I comma splice, sometimes I use them gratuitously, sometimes I sit there for like ten minutes trying to figure out if it needs to be there.

3. Sometimes I totally lose sight of why I started writing in the first place: it's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be entertaining. It's supposed to be a way to create something. But I get caught up in worrying whether or not other people like what I write. It's not so much that I'm obsessed with popularity... I just want to know someone thinks what I wrote is good. Even if it's just one person. And that one person can't be my parents, my close friends, or my husband. It has to be someone I barely know, or better yet, a total stranger. Best of all, someone whose writing I respect. But that really shouldn't matter to me as much as it does.

4. I don't even know how many unfinished short stories I have in my folders on my desktop. Sometimes I think I should go back and finish them, but it never happens. Some are only a few months to a year old, others I started writing years ago and abandoned. Most of the unfinished ones never made it past a page or two.

5. In addition to never finishing half the stories I start writing, I never finish projects. It has not happened once. I'll set out to do a month-long writing project, like NaNo, NaPo, or FFM, and I NEVER get it all done by the end. I'm trying to remedy that by really sticking with the Glory Be Project this year. So far, I'm doing well. There was a short period in January where life got NUTS and I just couldn't summon up the will to write every day for a while, but other than that I've stuck to it. But knowing me, I'll slip up somewhere down the road and abandon it. I hope I don't. But we'll see.

I know there are more, but those are off the top of my head... Yay, confessionals! :w00t:
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Student General Artist
Ahf. Okay.

1. Writing a short story per week? Did I say that? 'Cause, right, that didn't happen. It'll happen starting today, though!

2. I'm such a hypocrite when it comes to revising poetry, because I always call people on submitting rough drafts, and then I hardly do for my own work. Then I keep saying things like, "One of these days I'll put a chapbook together," and then I look at all my crappy 1st-draft poems and I'm like, "...later."

3. I couldn't even begin to list me commonly misspelled words. "Frustrated" is up there, anything with ie like "deceive" where apparently it's swapped (it legit just auto-corrected for me). I have spellcheck installed on my Google Chrome so I can edit all my comments before I post them, which is totally cheating.

4. So behind on #Writers-Workshop critiques that I literally bribed group members to fo my job for me this morning.
:iconnoah-kun-666:
Noah-Kun-666 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
1. I have thousands of great ideas that I feel could be possible novels, but I don't want to write them. I just get so wrapped up in other things that I feel like my writing is unimportant.

2. I've always read at two grade levels higher than what I'm supposed to(i.e when I was in the first grade, I read at a third grade level, in the second grade I read at a fourth grade level and so on) but I often write the way I talk, personally, and it really hurts my stories because I have strange speech patterns and I sometimes get too far off track.

3. I become jealous of other writers and poets far too easily, plain and simple.

4. I don't like to write with female characters. I go out of my way to make sure they don't appear in my stories more than a few times.

5. I've gotten so far into male/male romance, that I find heterosexual/lesbian relationships to be boring. I normally make only male characters for original stories, and if I write fanfiction, I "gender-bend" the female characters to male. I'm fine with straight and lesbian couples, but they're just not my thing.
:iconsadisticicecream:
SadisticIceCream Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   Writer
I have two big ones, and I am ashamed of my laziness:

1. I'm really horrible at actually sitting down to write. I have a bank of like 30-some ideas and I'm always like, "Well, I have too much homework" and then I wind up dicking around on the internet. :|

2. I hate editing and revising, mostly because I feel like I'm somehow not doing it right (also, see #1 for paltry excuses). So I'll get a critique and thank them profusely and think about all the glorious things I can fix in whatever piece it is -- and never do it. Also see #1 for how lazy I am.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
#2 - FO SHAME.
I know! :no:
:iconsnapperz:
Snapperz Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   Writer
1. It is pretty much luck if I spell "necessarily" right the first time. (Whoot! Got it this time!)
2. For someone who calls herself a writer, I feel like I've written embarrassingly little compared to most writerly people on DA. I also upload virtually everything I've written (and completed) so it's not like I have fifty short stories lying around that I just don't like enough.
3. I feel like I have a limited vocabulary, and I roll my eyes when I see someone going out of their way to rape the thesaurus.
4. I suck at pitching. I actually had a teacher tell me I should insist on producers reading my writing before I attempt to pitch anything, because I risk ruining my own ideas by trying to explain them. :bucktooth:
5. I like sentence fragments. Too much.
6. I can't do extensive editing without at least a couple beers. :drunk:
#2 = story of my life. :|
:iconsnapperz:
Snapperz Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   Writer
:no:
Methinks you have nothing to worry about.
SadisticIceCream Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013   Writer
I'd have less to worry about if I could get my ass in a chair and write. :lol:
:iconphydeau:
phydeau Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I got about 20 pages into a novel when I was 21.  I'm turning 40 tomorrow, And I don't even know where I left the only copy.
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
I somehow end up changing between past and present tense. A lot.

I abuse my thesaurus. Poor thing. :no:
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm too brief.
:iconmaxnort:
maxnort Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013   Writer
ugh.

1. capitalization is my biggest sin. I capitalize "I" but not sentence starts. I have my reasons.
2. not doing revisions is my biggest sin. by and large, I simply don't do them. I have reasons.
3. I created grammar nazis. it was the 60's at Berkeley, and we were all exploring new things. I corrected someone's email and sent it back, but sent to all, anonymously, by mistake. It took mere hours before everyone was doing it. ok. fine. I lie sometimes. but they're good lies.

no cap's or revisions is because it physically hurts to type. I lie for fun.
and yes, those lines are all that length on purpose.
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013   Writer
What reasons?
:iconmaxnort:
maxnort Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   Writer
neuropathy. damaged spinal cord (actually, damaged root nerve).
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional Writer
Undead Necromancer Librarian Prophet, forgive me, for I have sinned. I have not been writing that much at all, I have been sitting around playing video games, doing something called "home work", and making strange music. I have put the letter "a" in existence more times than animals have crapped on the floor of this house, but that's over now, a habit as dead as the silent formations of calcium, which put the dusty tomes away in the grotesque ruins you call home. For me to write at the same ridiculous level I once was, I may need to start drinking a little more often; you should understand.. you have that worm problem.
:iconart-of-the-seraphim:
Art-of-the-Seraphim Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
ok let's see....*cracks fingers, sips coffee*

1.) When ever I write, I usually start off with a very non-sequitur scene to catapult my creativity. Afterwards I can revise it and make it more understandable but I felt it was/is a great way to pump the blood to my brain. It also helps when I'm at a mental road block on the intersection of the I35-Brainfart Rd to I'm-at-a-total-loss Station.

2.) If I ever base a character of of a real person I know, or better yet actual put one of my friends in the story without there consent, I make an Anagram out of their name.

E.x.-- my name is Trevor Gates, so then it would be Garret Stove in the story...if I wasn't me and the person who I was wanted to use my Friend who is Trevor as a character...ummm...yeah

3.) For pacing and structure ideas, I take a break from my literary muses and go outside to different influences. I'll watch a David Lynch film and try to imagine how I would describe and narrate the flow of what was happening. It adds a different perspective to traditional storytelling.

4.) If I'm serious about a story or writing project, I'll work hard on a music playlist to listen to while I work. I'll think about all the scenes in my head and the narratives; the people, the themes, the setting and the conflict and find songs/compositions/film scores that mirror those ideas. While writing, a certain song will play and help me finish a passage. It would be like scoring a film, but in an odd, reverse order.

5.) I make it a habit of making sure my dialogue is realistic. Some people stammer their words. Others, mispronounce names. Others cut people off, some are racist, some are crude, others speak at a mile a minute. Some talk with such spontaneity, that it could only come from them. I like to recycle real conversations with my peers and try to incorporate them into a story. Sometimes while I'm out ,I'll take a tape recorder or notebook, just to see what someone will have to say. Their response could be priceless :)

6.) I have no problem causing serious trauma and pain to my beloved characters.

7.) I actually take criticism very well. I'm like the only one I know personally that does.

8.) I have a habit of wanting to use semi-colons everywhere; like now for instance. Dammit!

9.) I have one book finished and out, but I'm having so much trouble deciding on what my sophomore release should be. While deciding, I have over four possible projects to do. Do I do a fresh story or do I finish the sequel to the first book? I know I can't be the only one who has trouble with that. Everyone says getting the first book done is the hardest, but what about after that?.

10.) I give my real dreams to my fiction characters.
:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
What is this list for?
Art-of-the-Seraphim Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
ummm my writing. literary confessional? did I do it wrong? i dunnno ...
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   Writer
yeah, you did it wrong.  if you have to ask how...
Art-of-the-Seraphim Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
how what?
Add a Comment: