Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63

One more question, this is for anyone who's either worked on a story or is currently working on one.

:iconneutrastaff:
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
How long does it take you to make a chapter for one of your stories, on average how long does one chapter take for you? I am attempting to figure something out, which is why I'm asking.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxaudienceofone:
xAudienceofone Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
My chapters have an intense range in size. The smaller size would contain about 3000-4000 words, while larger chapters can contain up to 11000. Some take a few days, other about 1 or 2 weeks. When I'm busy elsewhere and have lack of ideas, it can take a month. Size and time spent depend on the content and the writer's mood for me.
:iconcheshirelies:
CheshireLies Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
My chapters average between 2500 - 4000 words, and once I actually get into working on them (usually takes a couple hundred words or so) I can finish a chapter up in a couple of days, or hell a couple of hours if I'm really into it. It depends on the content, and how into it I am.
:iconfranklinstudios:
FranklinStudios Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
the time i actually work on it, then 12 hours atleast but i only work on it once in a while
:iconvenom34:
venom34 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well I'm making a manga but about 2 months per issue if I don't have any distractions!
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Writer
For my Sci-Fi novel it took me like a month. But I was getting fairly detailed.
:iconkythkyn:
Kythkyn Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student Writer
For me it depends. Anywhere from an hour to a few days, depending on how long it is, what needs to be said, how clear the chapter is before I start writing it, how much I hate my writing that day. A bunch of things. But there really shouldn't be some sort of belief that a chapter has to take (or shouldn't take) X amount of time.
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
I see
:iconthenimster:
TheNimster Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It takes me anything from a couple of hours to a few months even.I belive in not rushing it ,but then again everyone has his own pace and manner of writing.
I think that you need to be satisfied with how the story flows and disregard time as a factor.
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
I kind of feel better now. Guess it's true what they say about quick and easy being wrong (course I already knew that, but this just reminded me more of it). You know something, thanks for that. I shall be more patient.
:iconglowstck:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Writer
A 4,000-ish word chapter takes me about 2 to 3 hours, but why do you ask such an odd question?
1/4 curious and the rest for my own reasons I can't mention.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Artist
You take it at your own pace, trying to reach a specific length or time limit is only valid when you've got a job that requires it be done in a certain time. You also can get faster with practice.

And yes, I'm working on more than one and have written a good number of them.
:iconconcaholic:
concaholic Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
I suppose it would depend, based on the writer and the story.
:iconwolfos96:
wolfos96 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
If the idea is good enough, I can pump out a short story within a few hours. Sure, they end up being revised multiple times, but the basic idea is out there pretty quickly.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
What are you trying to figure out, anyway?
That's confidential:p Needed to see something.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist
It's hard to give helpful advice on something you've revealed little about.
Does it help if I tell you I don't bite:p
merrak Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist
:confused:
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
whatever, it's hard to believe especially online like this, but I'm not a bad guy.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'll jump back in and say that's not the issue, it just seems kind of one-sided to want openness from people and not explain why. Also if I knew what you were looking for I could actually respond with it straight off the bat - you're having to ask a lot of people for clarification right now.
Not really, I'm getting what I asked for.
(1 Reply)
Also hard to take an interest in it. :shrug:
Never mind then.
:iconmasqueradeofthenight:
MasqueradeOfTheNight Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Timing always depends on me. There are times when I can push out 10 pages in one day, and other times when I only get half a page at most. I think anyone who has written a story has gone through writers block as well as other things that keep their mind occupied with something other than the story. As it stands right now, I'm finding it difficult to even work on short stories.
Ah, so motivation holds back your potential(hate when that happens:p)
MasqueradeOfTheNight Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It goes in spurts. But I find it better to not force it, since when I go back and reread, you can tell where I had to trudge through it. It doesn't flow as well. I have been told by numerous teachers to write something every day, even if it's just a few lines in a journal. I don't keep a journal, but I do type every day so I guess that's pretty close.
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
I've noticed that we me as well. When I write something and if I just rush through and put down the basic ideas without expanding on it to help it make more sense, you can tell it is rushed. That's why I began to rewrite a lot of things over again. As for me, I write down the dreams I have daily when I have one after I wake up. Hope that's a good substitute for a journal.
MasqueradeOfTheNight Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I would think so. Revisions are always good. I've had go to back and expand my stuff as well. So I feel you there. Writing down your dreams means recalling something that flees quickly after you wake up. So I think it's a really good writing exercise, especially if you like to write down the little details. Either way, I say just go with the flow. My muse is always torn between writing and drawing. So for me it'll either be, I spend all my time writing, and when I try to draw nothing will come out looking right, or I'll spend all my time drawing and nothing I write seems good enough. So I've just stopped trying to force it.
Excellent advice, go with the flow:) Many a time, I had been attempting to force the ideas to come to me as I want to hurry up and get the story out of my mind but the pieces don't usually come when I want it to. Only at certain times do they come together and come out right. I will do the best I can to do more of that, course honestly it's not always easy.
MasqueradeOfTheNight Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I feel ya. I've got three completed stories under my belt. There are times when you feel useless because you want to write, but nothing is coming out right. It's a process, and as with any process, there will always be times when you simply can't do it. You just got to sit and wait sometimes. :3
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
I understand:)
*matter

Last time I use the mobile version to post on the forum..
Even for one person the timing is not necessary consistent. But, like was said already... it doesn't Matterhorn. Take as long as is needed. No rush :)
Hm
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Most of my chapters take less than a day, I do that on purpose because it's a lot easier for me to pick up writing from the end of the chapter rather than the middle.
I guess my follow up for this is, how long are the chapters you make?
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student General Artist
That varies a lot based on what I'm writing.
:iconsaints-fan-12:
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I t usually takes me a few days leading into a week, until I get over my laziness and do it.
Oh
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah, but I'm sure you can get it done in 2 to 3 days.
Yeah but here's the thing: I have big ideas of major events that will happen in the story. The problem is how to bridge those ideas together, how to go from this big action to get to the next big action later in the story. I usually have to put a lot of filler in the middle until the next big event comes, and you don't know what the characters should say or what they should do sometimes, uhh I hate it:/
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Just take your time and think about it when you get there,taking breaks often helps.
Yes, this is true. Earlier today, I just found it's best not to always force it. After all, stories are works of art and art can't be rushed. So I will start doing this.
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Good :)
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
However long it takes.  Ultimately, it depends on the motivation and drive of the writer to get things done, but it can also depend on length of chapter, complexity of story, etc.  Giving yourself a specific time table for each chapter is probably not the way to go.  Giving yourself a set time to work each day or a specific amount of pages or words is more realistic.  For some writers that can mean churning out a chapter a day, for others a scene.  Try a few approaches, see what works for you.
I'll do that. But like the other person said, some days just aren't writing days and you find yourself stuck(your willing but your mind is weak). So much you want to tell, but the day and your mind just don't want to cooperate sometimes.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I've actually found that if you make daily (or almost daily) writing a habit, it becomes easier to produce something each day. You just can't go in expecting it to be on-point everyday. You also don't have to use that time each day to write if you're not up to it. Spend the time with research or planning, or work on revising an old story, write a short story, etc. If you look at the work habits of most professional writers, writing daily seems to be the most common, so there is a practical logic to the recommendation.

Of course, if you're not up to writing one day, that's OK. Just be careful not to let that one day become 6 months. I can tell you from my own experience how easily this can happen.
Yeah, the more I began to write, the more I feel I can do it more often. I just feel bad about those type of days:p (basically it's like 'all this time I'm wasting resting, I could be out making more of the novel) but yes you do need those days to take a break. I had a migraine yesterday which is why my answer said that (as yesterday was one of those days) I take time to plan out, spending days doing bubble graphs on paper of what I want to happen and how does it happen. I use to write the entire story on paper first then type it (which took waayyy too long so I stopped and do it all by typing now)

For me, I like to stay focused on the most important story I'm working on during the time before moving on to the next. I sure hate to have writer's block for that long, I mean it took me eight months to write a novel but to get stuck like that...But don't worry, I have way too many ideas in my head to get stuck like that:)
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
Eight months to write a novel isn't that bad, really. I've taken longer than that, but mostly because I've allowed huge gaps in work time.

Anyway, I think it's normal for your brain to want some downtime, especially if you've got a migraine.
Add a Comment: