Details

Closed to new replies
January 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Creating Evil Mary Sues?

:iconex-cirkuu:
I was thinking of writing a fic that would portray a Sue's effects on the universe he or she steps in; one idea was that a small group from an OC universe chases down a villain Sue so she won't come back to their universe more powerful than ever. Or destroy some other universe (depends on who you ask).

One problem: the Sue

I've created OCs before for fun, and I think there are a few overpowered characters relative to the others, but I have a hard time coming up with stuff for him like a stereotypical Sueish name (that doesn't involve my name) and a motivation.

Then again, if the person in question has to see the powers to use them, has pride as a fatal flaw, and cannot affect at the least two people in a given universe, does that still allow him to be a Sue?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconisho13:
Isho13 Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think pride is an acceptable flaw. I'd say a fatal flaw for a Sue is something like "he/she has gorgeous blue eyes, and the rest of the world hate him/her for not having brown eyes like them", if you get what I'm saying. =D
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm kind of confused as to why you'd want to.

But the person is a hero in their own eyes, so making them a "sue" shouldn't be particularly difficult :shrug:
Eheheheh... it IS a weird idea now that I think about it. The whole idea was to basically have the Sue do his/her own thing while one of the characters on his/her bad side watch and fight as the whole world slowly falls apart.

Right now, I wanted to start the story with the Sue having one universe under his/her belt and stumbles into another world. Live the fantasy and take it with him/her.

TL;DR, typical Mary Sue story except from the "bad guys'" POV. Then again, fanfic is a bit... stupid in a lot of eyes.
:shrug: It's not a matter of stupid so much as 'is this gonna come out interesting'. I don't personally see the appeal in reading a story that deliberately features a perfect villain, but presumably you know who's going to read this.
I hope it would be interesting.

To be honest, I really like writing out random drabbles to blow off some steam. Heck, this is just supposed to be a throwaway fic. I think the idea is decent, but I'm scared to screw it up (partially because this would be my first impression here and fans are really elitist sometimes).
Okay, so you like the idea, you think you can make it work, and you're still worried? Seriously, stop worrying and write.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't think a character constructed along the lines you have in mind can possibly be a genuine Sue. At best, she's a Sue parody, which would work just fine for the purpose, I think.
I'm fine with a parody Sue. I just want the character to come across as a Sue. Considering I want to tell a Sue story from one of the unaffected characters' point of view (namely the main characters from a certain series), trying to sell the idea to audience would be a bit difficult.
:icondreamworld88:
Dreamworld88 Jan 24, 2013  Student Writer
Unfortunately, unless the Sue never pays for it, having a fatal flaw is something most mary sues lack. However, I think one of the biggest signs of a Mary Sue is how the other characters react to her (or him). Nobody is indifferent to a Mary Sue. Everybody loves or hates her. If your character does all the damage by himself, is almost invincible, and nobody is neutral to him, I'd say you got a Mary Sue.
Sue names: Marcus (Warlike) Aaron (Strong) Kana (Powerful. It's a Japanese unisex name. According to Mary Sue tests, Asian names for non-Asian characters are sueish traits.) The Mary Sue character I made by accident when I was 12 name was Estella (Star.).
So what you're saying is that even if most of the universe hates her/him, if she "wins", it would count against (or in this case, for) her/him, right? Taking a worst case scenario: Sue gets the girl, then annihilates a bunch of overpowered characters in almost an instant.

One of my old OCs that I keep tweaking is Cyrus Soldati (sun; soldier). Yeah... he was definitely a Mary Sue when I came up with him (Pokemon fanfic, natch).

And crap... I named one of my OCs Kana.
Add a Comment: