Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 31

Free Verse poems

:iconttfnjinx:
TTFNJinx Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Right now in my class we are going over transcendentalism and the poets Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman. I love poetry but sadly these two famous poets don't inspire much muse for me and I cant seem to understand why. I can pick up the hidden meanings but with Whitmans free verse poems I'm completely lost.

My real question is are there any other poets with more interesting free verse poems? (And why school has to ignore them is beyond me.)

(Sorry for the long intro)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Writer
The Surrender Tree is a poem collection by an author whose name slipped out of my mind. The basic story is Cuban history after the Spanish took over the place. Very awesome.
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Would you be open to spoken word poetry? Because if so, go listen to Andrea Gibson, Buddy Wakefield, and Shane Koyczan! :la:
:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
All the poetry I write is in free verse and in a mode akin to stream of consciousness.

Poetry is a voice I use to write about images or ideas of a spiritual, metaphysical and even transcendental nature that I come across from time to time.

I'd have to say that one of the most inspirational free verse thinking writers who really inspires me to dream and write about what I see, would have to be Clive Barker, who has fantastic breadth of imagery that really pushes the bounds of the accepted generic normality of perceived existence.

I'm not famous or anything, and doubt I will ever be mentioned in a school classroom, as a cause of study, but if you'd like to see my work, please feel to browse.

As Doug Bradley once said: "We have such sights to show you."

:)
TTFNJinx Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Interface Designer
I love reading poems :)
:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013   Writer
Perhaps a little Ginsburg will help cure your Whitman ills.
Ok thanks!
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional General Artist
Which Whitman did you read?  Honestly, I've always been a fan of the guy, but I can see where he might miss for some.

And I dunno, free verse runs a pretty huge gamut.  Are there any particular poets you currently like?  Any themes, subjects, forms, that interest you?
Read read three different poems by him one about astronomy.

I like a lot of poems preferably with a metaphor or more and rhyme schemes. I like writing in many different styles.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional General Artist
"When I Heard the Learned Astronomer" I assume. Not a bad one, but I would rather go with "I Sing the Body Electric" or "Song of My Self." Much longer poems and much looser structurally, but they're more groundbreaking and better highlight what made Whitman so great.

If you're more familiar with poetry that utilizes set meter and end rhyme schemes, it may just take more exposure to free verse to get more comfortable. Also, the more you read, the more you'll find free verse poets you can tolerate. As far as other free verse to read, I would suggest looking at the early 20th century Modernists, like Eliot, Pound, or H.D. Odds are you might like Eliot, since he actually did make use of end rhyme free of a strict metrical scheme and was adept at working in meter if he wanted. Wouldn't recommend "The Waste Land" to someone just starting with free verse, but you might dig Prufrock: [link]
TTFNJinx Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Okay then thank you! ^_^
Add a Comment: