Closed to new replies
January 19, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Learning about the craft vs. Learning the craft

:icondoodlertm:
doodlerTM Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Writer
Learning about the craft: Reading books on how to write, books on publishing, books on editing. Studying these books and then going forward and writing.

Learning the craft: Reading books, actual books, in the genre (poetry/prose) that you write. Finding authors you enjoy and who are able to influence your work. Reading other works by people here on dev or in real life. Finding a critique partner that will kick your butt into action and vice versa. Constantly editing and always admitting that you can do better.

:icontealdeerplz: - Learning about the craft of writing isn't the same as getting your hands dirty. This is true of every art form on the planet. Any artist/writer/film-maker can pick up a how-to book and get a little bit of info. But unless they engage the world around them, they are not learning the craft, they are merely learning ABOUT it.

What do you guys think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthe-golden-knight:
The-Golden-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Filmographer
There is wisdom in your words. Right now, my brains are figuratively oozing out of my ears, which is making it hard for me to work. HELP?!
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
I think it's almost a "mind versus heart" dichotomy.

Read writer's blogs, "how-to" books, exercises and critical essays because you want to think about writing.

Read novels, plays, poetry, stories, and whatever else you want because you love reading, because that's how you spend most of your free time anyway, because you tuck books into your purse and jacket lining and ipod when you walk to class, because literature is beautiful and sometimes it's deep and profound, and sometimes it's funny, and sometimes it's profoundly irritating, but regardless, you've found that reading makes you more human and you can't stop reading because maybe you wouldn't die, but you'd lose your fucking soul.

^^;

Someone who's been a voracious reader since childhood still might not be able to make the connection in their own writing, so strategy books might help. I know some well-timed advice from the book How To Write Fantasy and Science Fiction by Orson Scott Card helped me improve my writing greatly.

Someone who reads once in a while...why even bother? Even if you assign yourself to read a book a week, if the passion isn't there, if there's no love for the art, maybe you're just not a writer?
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Professional
READ ALL THE THINGS. :iconjihadplx:
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
I dunno, I don't think what you call "learning about the craft" is all that bad.  In most cases, people have read enough fiction that they probably have "learned the craft" to some extent.  But I also notice that people don't always try to analyze what they read in terms of craft, so reading books of the former variety can be helpful for learning how to think more in those terms.  It can also be difficult to learn proper grammatical rules/conventions just by reading fiction.  I did that for many years and got a lot of things wrong that I had to learn how to identify and correct by...reading about grammar and style.  On the other hand, you may not realize the rules can be broken unless you read a writer who breaks them.

Personally, I have read very few books about writing, especially compared to other writers.  But I think you've got to learn some of this stuff in order to figure out how to edit or different ways to think about and analyze writing.  To be honest, I've gleaned a lot of this stuff from English and creative writing classes, and it surprises me how rarely people consciously apply this knowledge to their work.

I guess what I'm saying is here that both types of experience and knowledge are useful.  Emphasizing the latter ignores the value of the former, and vice versa.
:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I've always held the opinion that if you're going to consciously follow literary rules, then you need to read a rulebook. If you're going to break rules, you can also make use of guides and references, so you know how to break them. If you want to emulate a successful form, then you have to immerse yourself in it.  If you are interested in none of these, and you want to find and develop your own method, then I think neither rule applies.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Okay, so also thinking about when we did read advice from published authors in class.

BASICALLY NONE OF IT IS UNIVERSALLY TRUE.

That is all.
:icontotallyuncreativeme:
TotallyUncreativeMe Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
True, but some people really do need to learn how to write. I'm talking about capital letters and apostrophes and all that boring stuff which people forget about. I don't think anyone should be allowed to jump into a story or poem without an official certificate of general grammatical knowledge.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013   Writer
I agree with virtually all of this. There are people who still make the same handful of grammatical errors all the time (I consider myself a part of this group), and many of these people can tell a really good story. Then there are the people who might be telling a really good story, but you can't tell because you have absolutely no idea what they're trying to say. You think it involves a spaceship and Whoopi Goldberg, but you can't be sure.

Really, the only thing I disagree with is the certificate of general grammatical knowledge. I learned to write largely by producing stories, and I imagine that's true of an awful lot of people. But there are stories that need need the attention of other writers, and there are stories that need the attention of an English teacher. :p I feel a little sad when I see people who have written the latter and assume it's ready to be the next Harry Potter: no edditing or nuffink!

Fun fact: the online game Kingdom of Loathing requires you to pass a basic English test before you can use the chat function. :giggle:
:icontotallyuncreativeme:
TotallyUncreativeMe Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well I was exaggerating a little about the certificate. And I don't expect perfect English - I can't write like that myself - but you wouldn't pick up a book in a shop to find it's full of mistakes.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013   Writer
True. I was thinking more about stuff on this site. I'll happily read something here and offer feedback even if the grammar etc. is pretty bad: the main things I want to see are that the story is interesting, the author wants to improve, and that it's a matter of fixing specific mistakes rather than teaching the author English. A handful of repeated errors can wreck a story, but it's much easier to offer advice on those than it is to deal with someone whose writing is wildly inconsistent.

Admittedly, books in shops tend to have had serious editing by serious editors. But for self-published books, I still have very little patience for bad grammar/spelling. Any book should meet a minimum standard of quality--especially if you're asking people to pay for them--and the fact that it's usually impractical to get an editor just means you should pay even more attention to basic proofreading.
Add a Comment: