Closed to new replies
January 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

What keeps you modivated?

:icontigerfey:
TigerFey Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
What keeps you going in writing your novel/poetry? How do you keep yourself working on what you want to do?

For myself, in regards to my first novel, what keeps me focused on it is why I started in the first place. It all started with a detailed dream I had about a scene and then that same day, my horoscope said something along the lines that an idea would come to me and I would presue it. Then with that scene, I started to work a story with it and keeping up, I was able to work out a complete story for it. My modivation went a little stronger at Christmas time when I opened a fortune cookie and it said "Look for the dream that keeps coming back. It is your destiny." I kept the fortune strip for modivation.

Honestly, I don't expect my first novel to be a bestseller cause even just one person, not including friends and family, liking it will make me happy. That is something else that helps keep me going too.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
The main things that motivate me are audience and deadlines.

Deadlines are obvious. If something is for a contest, an assignment (either from an editor or a professor), or a live show (like an Open Mic, or a play), I might still procrastinate, but I'll get it done. Even if they're less fun, deadlines give something priority. So, for instance, right now I'm working on a speech on Naturalism in the Romantic Period, an essay on Aristotle for my Rhetoric class, and an interview piece for The Burr. I know for a fact that I will finish each of those things, and I'll do a pretty damn good job, because if I don't, my grade or position on the magazine is in danger.

None of those assignments are as fun as writing stories and poems, but I'll finish them faster.

To motivate myself to write personal projects with no deadline, I'll get myself excited to share my piece with my audience. Typically, my audience is my dA watchers, my tumblr followers, people in my writers group, or my friends. Even if a piece sucks, I feel good knowing I can put it out there and I can hear people's feedback on the piece, whether it's positive or negative.

This is why, I think, I've never been able to write a novel, at least so far. A first novel has no set deadline, and I don't like sharing part of a story (like one chapter) with other people, I'd like to share at least the whole thing, the whole first draft. So the whole first, I dunno, year of working on a novel's rough draft is very boring and makes me feel insecure, because I'm not getting any feedback.
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Sometimes knowing that someone else is counting on me motivates me to keep going and finish it, otherwise my stubborn stupidity or stupid stubbornness.
:iconnatej91:
natej91 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
One of my greatest fears is dying before I have the chance to complete at least 3 novels of which I have painfully worked on for the past few years.

I was struggling with writer's block for the better part of last year and through a quick room rearrangement I have solved the problem.

Just to the right of my computer monitor I have a bookshelf containing classics by Charles Dickens, Stephen King, Victor Hugo, Richard Adams and George Orwell. I consider these to be masterpieces (as I'm sure a lot of you will agree). Now I don't just have these because I'm a classic whore (or one of those damn hipster folk), but simply that they are accomplished authors with many masterpieces.

So if I'm questioning myself or struggling to write anything I take a quick glance to the right and think "If they can do it, why the hell can't I?"
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
With the fact that if I don't finish my story, no one else will. =P
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Writer
I want to write. It's what I like to do. Some people enjoy what I write, which is a measure of success for me. I don't have much more motivation other than: This is what I want to do.
:iconlordsjaak:
lordsjaak Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
watch soem favorite show, do cool stuff with mine RC tank and look for insperation ^^
:iconluinelle:
luinelle Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Filmographer
I am motivated to finish my novels...Usually the support I get from friends and teachers keeps me writing. They always tell me that my novel sounds interesting and intriguing and that they want to read it x)
As for me, I try to write a little bit everyday. Even at school I would type on the computers. Also NaNoWriMo motivated me to do it. I like challenges so it keeps me going x)
I've never hit writer's block before. I always have something to say only sometimes, I'm just too lazy...
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was not very motivated when my stories were boring, bad, and distracted.

I wrote a long story and cut out everything that was not useful, or interesting. 3/4ths was trashed.

I took some pointers from writers for what makes a story interesting. After I learned how to do that I am always motivated to write, but I don't take the time with college and other concerns.
Now my only story writing is being graded in English.

There are some writing techniques. One is bubbles. Think of a main idea for a story, and use that as the center bubble. Then I create other bubbles for supporting Ideas.

Writing should be freedom to create anything you like. If you don't know what you like, just starting something leads to other ideas.

I like writing science fiction, and I don't like stories people do as a fan. They base their whole story on something they used and not created.
I create my own everything. Special powers, worlds, ships, beliefs, creatures, governments, and out of this world ways of living where anything is possible.

There is always a creative side of things for people that have that (What If?) attitude.
:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Writer
Society or being the social outcast whichever sounds better, they motivate me the strongest to create worlds of my own and roam free within them.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I'm motivated to write because I have a pretty good story to tell.
Add a Comment: