Details

Closed to new replies
January 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

poetry ideas?

:icondisappearing-inkwell:
i just cant seem to come up with any good poetry ideas anymore... its not really writers block, when i get an idea i can write one in seconds, but i keep throwing them out because they are just not good enough.

can someone help me come up with good poetry ideas? nothing too specific, just enough to get going.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconflashdraco:
flashdraco Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Make a poem about roses and then one about the best word from that poem. Then try ponies again lol
:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Ideas are only worth something if you feel strongly about them. No poet writes about mundane things, unless they're being metaphorical or ironical.  No idea is mundane, only its significance to the writer.  So, your main goal should be to find what's important to you, and stop worrying so much about how good the idea is. Try writing about your own feelings and experiences, and then attempt to find some analogy to nature or some possibly unrelated thought or memory or place or thing, and go about relating them.  This is a basic poetic process.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I disagree with =vglory. Ideas are cheap. It's what you do with them that's important.

Re-reading your question so as to answer it seriously, I think your problem is really that you expect an "idea" will always make a poem automatically pop out in "seconds". That's not a realistic expectation. Any good writing takes thought and attention and work, whether it's prose or poetry.

You can write a poem about the most mundane things imaginable, if you're willing to take some time with it. Some of the most famous poetry in the world is about normal, everyday things. But they didn't spring from the poets' minds all by themselves, in a moment.
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Obtain a larger vocabulary. Words come naturally when you know a lot of them.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You could try writing poetry from science fiction angle. I have thought of the idea but it is beyond my talents.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I agree with vglory: the idea is the point, and so you must create it yourself to maximize your own satisfaction and control of the piece. My style isn't yours, and my ideas would be useless to you because they appeal only to me.
That said,if you seek inspiration, look for Forum Challenges. Those often request specific poetry or prose pieces. Also, peruse the poets on this site. Some will offer their own challenges.
In fact, you might want to check out Vespera. She has posted a page of poetry notions, and says they're up for grabs -- if you get there first. She scratches them off when they've been claimed.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Honestly, the idea is the whole point. You just need to get out and have some experiences to cause you to have some thoughts. Getting them from someone else is pointless.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I wrote a computer program that takes a bunch of text and spits out random plausible-sounding phrases. So uh... you should do that too.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Write about ponies.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Do the ponies get to mature into horses, or is that cheating?
Add a Comment: