Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Ruminations on a quote from a notable writer

:iconanubisnova:
AnubisNova Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Whoever believes that such a leap is not possible across the gap, that a man cannot write of a woman's soul, or a white man of a black man, does not believe in literature itself."
-Norman Mailer

I personally like this quote. Really speaks to the open-source nature of literature and its ability to transcend the author. Years ago, I had a professor who disagreed with this quote, claiming that "that's not the only function of literature." There may have been a miscommunication between him and I about this quote, but I digress. This makes me think of how my friends and I have discussed literature and how to approach things outside of your comfort zone (which for me is prose). One friend of mine told me, in critiquing a chapter I was writing, to "write what I know" or write what is familiar to me. To her credit, I didn't know anything about the city of Boston nor did I know how to effectively describe romantic relationships. But I still wonder if it is possible to effectively write about things of which you may be familiar but not necessarily be experienced.

Feel free to share any insights into this quote. I'm all ears (well, all eyes considering this is text).

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Writer
The key is to imagine people as complex individuals and not a check-list of organic criteria and stereotypes. The human experience is subjective to culture in a big way but EVERYBODY feels at odds with that, too. Black, white, men, women - we all feel a connection to certain ideas of who we are but also at odds with how we think we should be and how we think others see us. The spectrum of emotions and confusion connects us all.

I find it easier not to write about men and women but to write about people. Once you're past that obstacle, you can then find a more social distinction in characters with what you know and what you have experienced in your life interacting with a variety of people.

The quote really should be "Whoever believes that such a leap is not possible across the gap, that a man cannot write of a woman's soul, or a white man of a black man, needs to reconsider how he views others"
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Knowing something doesn't have to mean experiencing it firsthand, but I do think it makes a difference. I mean, I could read up on life in Iran and then write a story set in Tehran, but there's all kinds of little details I just wouldn't get without either asking a person who'd lived there or going there myself. (To take an example I do know, it's common for Greek farmers at the market to give you extra food instead of change. Cause they seriously hate doing it, I don't know the reasoning but if I read something where someone always got change from the farmers--unlikely but possible--I'd be like pssh yeah right. Also 'The Long Earth' honestly doesn't get Madison right.)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*obvs this really applies to setting more than character traits or themes.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Mailer knows what he's talking about.
All writers, even the ones that claim to 'write what they know,' end up writing about things they haven't personally experienced at one point or another. It's just that some can pull off more invention than others.
Add a Comment: