Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 212

Unofficial Lit Forum Cock-Measuring Party

:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional
Well, we're all writers, for the most part, right? Let's have a little bragging rights meet-and-greet so we have a bit more of a sense of where we're all coming from. This might be humbling, this might go over terribly. If terrible, I choose to arbitrarily blame the thread on `PinkyMcCoversong; if you get shanked fighting over the cornbread, sue her, not me.

Give a brief (50 words or less) bio of yourself. Think the blurbs that get published in lit mags, not a memoir about your childhood. Then answer us some questions:

1. Would you consider yourself a beginning, intermediate, or veteran writer?

2. Publication: Have you self-published, including online? Have you traditionally published? What books do you have out in print/e-book so far? If you're a short-prose or poetry person, what anthologies have you been in? What magazines? What's the largest distribution you've had for a piece of your work?

3. Agency: Do you have an agent? If so, how badass are they? If not, how badass are you?

4. Apart from writing, are you involved in any literature initiatives? Magazines, anthologies, contests, critique groups, arts councils?

5. Where do you see yourself, realistically, with your writing at the end of this year? What do you hope to get out of writing, in the long run?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcheshirelies:
CheshireLies Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
(You said to think of it as a blurb so I guess I'll play 'pretend to be a journalist')

For as long as I can remember I have worked with stories but only seriously so since the age of 14, so for about 7 or 8 years now. While it is difficult to judge one's own skill I say I definitely fall away from beginner and at least to intermediate, despite never being published beyond a school magazine or a self-owned blog. I have yet to secure an agent, but I was head of a literary magazine for two years in a row. As a theater major I've had to do a lot of improv and story-telling exercises, and they are usually well received. I was also a writing mod for a prompt group here on deviantart until recent incidents that drove us apart. By the end of the year I hope to at least have my novel finished, if not already pushing into the market. I would love to finish life as an author, with at least one person interested in my world.
:iconnishi:
nishi Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Oh gosh I got my hopes up here.
:iconslytherinsheiress:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Professional Writer
1. Intermediate.
2. Had a play produced last year and self-published some books of poetry. Rah rah?
3. I don't have an agent. Not yet.
4. I don't know if this qualifies as a literature-literature initiative, but a friend and I do run a little show every few months down in Chicago where we feature either unknown artists/writers/musicians/what have you or have release parties for folks who published (or self-published) a book.
5. I hope to get a reasonably polished draft of my novel done this year and to start getting it ready for publication (goal is to start sending the sucker out before I turn 30, which will be in the summer of next year. That's a scary thought, but I digress). I also am going to be doing some research for the next book. I have about eight books I'd love to publish before I die. ;)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Chicago, eh. :O
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional Writer
Better than Milwaukee. ;)
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That goes without saying :p
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Professional
:iconswagplz:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Professional Writer
:iconlolzcatplz:
:iconfushigishikiji:
fushigishikiji Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Centennial State native and self-described creative genius (name withheld upon request) has been writing for nearly 20 years, specializing in free-verse poetics as well as creative short-story and long-form fiction while juggling the challenges of the everyday struggles of the common man.

1. Would you consider yourself a begininng, intermediate, or veteran writer?
Intermediate. I have a degree in English, I've tutored in college, and I've written technical proxies for my job.

2. Publication: Have you self-published, including online? Have you traditionally published? What books do you have out in print/e-book so far? If you're a short-prose or poetry person, what anthologies have you been in? What magazines? What's the largest distribution you've had for a piece of your work?
Self-published only here (unless you want to count the excerpts from my attempts in the annual NaNoWriMo contests on my profile there). I have not traditionally published, nor do I have any works in print/e-book format, nor have I been in any anthologies or magazines. For whatever its worth, my largest distribution has been, well, this.

3. Agency: Do you have an agent? If so, how badass are they? If not, how badass are you?
I have no agent (badass or otherwise) to speak of. However, I have considered myself plenty badass on several occasions.

4. Apart from writing, are you involved in any literature initiatives? Magazines, anthologies, contests, critique groups, arts councils?
I fail to see how one can be a part of any literary endeavors that are separate from writing (unless I'm totally missing the point of this question), but to answer the question, no (unless, again, the aforementioned annual NaNoWriMo contests counts, and if it does, I have a local writers group that gathers for write-ins throughout the contest and sporadically throughout the year).

5. Where do you see yourself, realistically, with your writing at the end of this year? What do you hope to get out of writing, in the long run?
Realistically: I see myself not very far from where I'm at right now at the start of this year (thank you, real world and your responsibilities!); however, I'm hopeful that may change over time. As far as what I hope to get out of writing long-term, would be a revival of my creative forces (for one), my creative confidence (for two), and the rest...well, time will tell. The dream of publication isn't dead.
:iconfutilitarian:
futilitarian Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013   Writer
Impossible to pick just one bio.

It's a continuum, and I'm on it somewhere between starting out and making real money from it. Any points in between are arbitrary.

I've never self-pubbed, unless you count posting on dA. I don't. I've been in a few anthologies and lit mags, mostly years ago at university when I was seriously submitting things to places. I've no idea what the distribution figures are.

Hell no. Publication on any sort of scale is not a goal right now for me. It's a hard grind and only is it wholly incompatible with my day job, it's pointless until I write something novel-length I'm nearly happy with.

Local storytelling group.

At the end of this year? Not a lot different. I'm in it for the long game.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional
IS THAT A REALISTIC PERSON I SMELL THERE?
hahahaha but srsly i'm going to get a bestseller published by easter. Psych.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I demand details on "local storytelling group".
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Winning.
:iconbeyondjen:
BeyondJen Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
My bio is a WIP but I have time since I haven't submitted anything in a long time.

1. Intermediate writer, and I'll probably always consider myself one unless I'm still writing when super old and wrinkle-y and can spout off at least as many published works as teeth I would have used to have.

2. I have a poem published on the Wordsmiths site, and three are suppose to be published in the #EliteLiterature ebook that was planned. Otherwise, nadda.

3. No agent and I'm not a badass, I only have a bad attitude.

4. No. Nope. Nada. Uh-uh. Yeaaaah, no.

5. Speaking to my poetry, realistically it'd be great to say I found the balls and a piece or two of my writing I thought were good enough to submit for publication. Maybe I'll even get something published. As for the novel I'm working on, I plan on getting back to it and adding some significant word count; I think that's realistic.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional
"I'll probably always consider myself one unless I'm still writing when super old and wrinkle-y and can spout off at least as many published works as teeth I would have used to have."

^ that. that made my day.
:iconbeyondjen:
BeyondJen Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:blowkiss:
:iconthebrassglass:
TheBrassGlass Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional General Artist

Intermediate-veteran.

I self-publish on dA. I've had work published in a variety of lit mags and other publications, my favorite of which was the Blueline Literary Anthology. My largest distribution was probably the few pieces I had published in ArtVoice just because that was a pretty big art publication in the Buffalo area, which has a pretty decent population.

I have not yet completed anything of a size that would require an agent.

I belong to a writers guild as part of my local arts council, and am currently organizing readings at some local venues including a childrens story time at my local libraries. I've been part of lit mags and newspapers in the past and used to work for a publishing house as an editor. At the moment I work as an editor and paginator at a professional newspaper, which has a pretty decent distribution area.

I want to make my writing more accessible. That is my goal this year. So far, so good.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional
hump dem editors.
:iconthebrassglass:
TheBrassGlass Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional General Artist
:eyes:
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Writer
Yeah?  Who's asking?!?!
It'll keep you out of the retirement home, pappy.
ndifference Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Writer
Is that the place that smells and where they touch my tooter?
They only touch your tooter if you're sent to a Protestant one.
ndifference Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Writer
It's Touch Your Tooter Tuesday in the social room!
:iconthe-vibeke:
The-Vibeke Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
The-Vibeke is a young fantasy writer currently working on the next great fantasy trilogy, as well as more novels set in the same world. She is planning to major in Law and minor in English when she goes to college, and publish her novels either during college or after graduation.

1. Intermediate. I have lots of skill and I can build a huge world, but I'm not a pro who does it for a living.

2. I would not want to self publish. All I hear is bad things.

3. No but if I wanted one I could get one in a heartbeat, my mom knows some.

4. I'm on the year book team for my school and leader of my school's fantasy writer's club.

5. Well I'd probably be done editing the first book and start writing the second book in the trilogy.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013   Writer
Getting an agent takes a lot of work. I sincerely doubt any agent would represent you just because they know your mother. :facepalm:

First, not all agents deal with all genres. Right off the bat, the agents your mom knows might not be the right agents for your work. Second, agents are interested in getting things published. Legitimate agents get a cut of sales, so they won't waste their time on something they don't have faith in. If your book doesn't meet their standards--or even if they've got their hands full with more publishable authors--a good word from your mom isn't going to count for much. Third, a good word from your mom doesn't count for much anyway. She's your mother. Of course she's going to think your writing is the best thing ever: mothers always do.

Even if you could get an agent "in a heartbeat" because your "mom knows some," would you really want to? Do you want to get published not because you produced anything noteworthy, but because a relative knew someone in the business? As well as being patently untrue, this sort of claim is an insult to everybody trying to get their work published on its own merits.
Can yo mama get me one too?
:iconthe-vibeke:
The-Vibeke Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Prolly not.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sharing is caring. :(
:iconzebrazebrazebra:
zebrazebrazebra Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Writer
Oh, all right, dammit.

Sarah Stanton is a translator, editor and writer from Western Australia who has spent the past three years living and working in Beijing. She has been published in a number of magazines and indie projects, including Clarkesworld, Voiceworks, Hunger Mountain, Cha and Conte, and can be found online at [link] or tweeting @theduckopera.

1. Intermediate.

2. I have been published in the following magazines and/or anthologies, some of which are print and some of which are online: Soundzine, Voiceworks, Read This Press' Starry Rhymes, dotdotdash, Hunger Mountain, Nanoism, H.A.L, Asian Cha Journal, Clarkesworld, Vignette Press' Geek Mook, The Foundling Review, Conte, Verge, Seizure, and Far Enough East, with work forthcoming in a further seven publications. Of those, I would say Clarkesworld has the largest distribution, although they publish short-form science fiction and the majority of what I write is poetry.

3. I don't have an agent. But I submitted to 150 magazines last year, so fuck you.

4. I'm a translator, and much of what I do in that field is based around literature. I have edited translations of short stories by Medrol and Annie Baobei for Pathlight Magazine ([link]) and am currently translating four poems by young Chinese poets. I've also just joined Asymptote Journal ([link]) as an intern, and Asymptote are basically awesome and you should basically love them. I also translate a lot of contemporary art-related work.

5. By the end of this year I would like to have finished the novella I have technically been working on for six months. I would also like to continue building a publishing portfolio around poetry and, to a lesser extent, short stories. Nothing too ambitious--this year seems to be shaping up to be a translation year anyway. To even slightly increase my current rate of activity would be enough.

I hope to get writing out of writing. Telling yourself anything else is a lie.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Professional
Subtly bumping this thread; disregard.
Asymptote is basically amaze AND EVERYONE VIEWING THIS COMMENT SHOULD GO HUNT THEM DOWN AND READ THEM.
:iconbeccajs:
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013   Writer
Give a brief (50 words or less) bio of yourself. Think the blurbs that get published in lit mags, not a memoir about your childhood. Then answer us some questions:

I used to have a bio, but it is so out of date now so lets make one up:

Rebecca is a scriptwriter from Hampshire, England and currently engaging in early motherhood.

1. intermediate

2. I've had several poems featured in zines. I also helped edit, write and produce an anthology for a self harm charity in 2009. Most of my writing though involved writing scripts for theatre companies, although I haven't written any scripts in the last 6 months or so.

3. No agency.

4. Obviously I have CV'd here for a while. I also have been involved in a scriptwriters workshop for regional scriptwriters that ran early last year and attend (though since being pregnant then having a baby haven't been) a bi weekly local writing group called scribes. I do want to get re-involved in something soon. Oh I was also the ML for Derbyshire for both nanowrimo and scriptfrenzy 2009-2011.

5. I want to have completed some actual pieces, not just mess around short bits but finish off a play or 3. There is one I started back in 2006 I have been desperate to revisit and feel this is the year to do so!
2013 seems to be the year of revisiting for a lot of us! I wonder if the Chinese zodiac is causing nostalgia and feels or something.
:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013   Writer
I wrote a halfway decent Bio which :iconscarlettletters: posted on his Art smiths website, if anyone really needs to kill some time: [link]

1. I've been writing poetry for so long, I guess I have to cop to being a veteran. But it doesn't really mean anything.  I fully intend to remain elastic in terms of style and learning new poetic axioms to break for the rest of my writing (non)career.

2. I did self publish a book of poetry a couple of years ago: [link] . I've been published on a couple of websites, and one local mag: The Dallas Writer's Journal.  I need to submit more.

3.  No agent and I suck at promoting my own work.

4.  I am involved in multiple literature groups here on dA.  The one I am most proud of is my involvement with :icondailylitdeviations:, to which I've been volunteering my time for about two years.

5. At the end of this year, I hope to still be alive and able to write. I set high goals. As long as we're dreaming, I  would like to be independently wealthy some day, so that I can write and publish and blog at my leisure.  I don't see writing poetry, itself, as a professional goal.  But I wouldn't refuse to receive payment for doing so, if that should ever come to pass.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I was born.
I will die.

My poems stink.
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Writer
I've been writing as a hobby since I was a teenager. Now, at 16, I'm ready to take on the world. (Disregard last sentence, not true age.)

1. As a Fiction writer I would consider myself a veteran writer, but there is always more to learn. As a Non-Fiction writer I don't have the lexicon of someone like Christopher Hitchens, but I'm also more savvy with younger generations perception of literature, so I am undecided. As a poet I would consider myself an intermediate at best.

2. I have self-published two books for print which can no longer be bought. The first is a collection of random text and has no public digital copies, there are only two in the world, and a stranger has the other one; this leaves me to wonder if they ever picked up the spaceless line about anti-depressant withdrawal. This book became practice and lead into the second one, a 50,000+ word Literary Nonsense novel. I keep all my writing online for free. Except for my grocery lists and the notes I write about everything I'm interested in.

3. I don't have an agent and I don't particularly like the idea of having one. I am always tasked with the challenge to create characters that are more badass than me. Sometimes I take the easy route and make them good with women.

4. Not other than my college writing class. Last year I tried to get an organization to promote my short story which was about an African-American Satanist who parties with the homeless. But my Fiction turned out to be too liberal for The Church of Satan.

5. I have bit the bullet on starting out earning any kind of income through self-publishing due to the money needed for marketing. I would like to get my novel completely revised for the umpteenth time, send it out to larger publishers with my terms, and then work on other projects. I would love to make a living on Fiction writing, even though there are other interests I plan to pursue regardless.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Lucy Merriman wanted to be a tattoo artist but her parents made her go to college. Now she's in debt, in sane, and in love with a million poets. The first writer to blow her mind was Philip K. Dick, and she hasn't managed to put the pieces back together yet, after all these years.

[The boring version I actually send to magazines is: "Lucy Merriman is a Sophomore English Major at Kent State University. Her stories and poems have appeared in magazines and anthologies as diverse as Pif, Touching the Future, and Teen Ink.] I know it ought to end with a link to my portfolio website, but, ah, that...doesn't exist yet. Oops.

Beginner. Although, technically, I get paid to teach people to write better, and I've been paid for my writing before. But, I'm nowhere near "professional," and the level I want to write at is just so much higher than where I'm at right now. I feel like a beginner.

2. I've never written a long piece, mostly stories, poems, and scripts (short-to-middle-length). So, I've self-published here on dA and on Tumblr, and I've given Fictionaut and FictionPress (sister-site to FanFiction.net) a go, although I didn't quite connect to the community there.

I've written plays that have been produced locally, so...I'm not sure if that counts as self-published or published by someone else. Still not very prestigious, either way.

I've traditionally published in the following magazines and anthologies: Touching the Future, Pif, Teen Ink's print magazine, and Luna Negra. I'll be adding The Burr to that list soon, although that's journalism, not creative writing.

Largest distribution was the Teen Ink print magazine, which has 250,000 subscribers.

3. I do not have an agent, and I'm not very badass. My goal is to create something agent-worthy (probably a poetry / short story collection) by the end of my Senior year, but so far I've got nothing worth representing.

4. Online, I run :iconwriters-workshop: and that's really fun! Everyone should join! I occasionally participate in :icontransliterations: or :iconscreamprompts:, but not as much as I should.

Offline, I work at the Writing Commons at Kent State, helping students edit and revise their writing, and in the process I've learned a lot about different types of writing and how to explain how to execute them well. Through the WC I've been able to attend Writing Workshops and Conferences. I'm also part of a monthly poetry group that meets in out local downtown bookstore, and a different monthly art group that's partly a critique/feedback group, and partly a support group for writers and artists.

I've also started freelancing for KSU's magazine The Burr, so with luck I'll be on staff by my Junior year!

5. By the end of this year, I hope to get a little bit better at writing stories and poems than I am now. I also hope to finish the full-length script of the musical Dead Sexy Zombie Killers, have the official demo completed (as opposed to the crappy, figuring-out-melodies demo that exists right now,) and get the play approved for production so I can have auditions in the Theater Department.

No real publishing goals for this year; mainly focusing on improving my writing. I have a friend who recently just focused on publishing a bunch of his stories in 'zines before his first anthology came out. He got most of them published, including ones he wrote nine years ago! So, I feel like if I really focus on my writing and I bang out a few great stories (likely among a load of crap ones) I can always get them published later, and not worry about it so much.

In the long run? It'd be amazing to be a full-time professional writer. Novels, plays, movies, poetry, non-fiction, anything. But, you know. Baby steps. Honestly, I'm really happy where I'm at right now. I love writing, and I'd love to be a professional, but I won't be heartbroken if I don't ever make it quite there. Every once in a while I write something that really affects people, and right now, that's good enough.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Writer
I love that your goals are both realistic and aspirational at the same time.  Nice work, girl!
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks! Hopefully I can achieve them :)
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You are on top of shit. :salute:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student General Artist
Thank you. I feel like I'm where I need to be at right now. Fingers crossed.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:eager: totallydude.
:iconvespera:
vespera Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Raquel grew up in the Bay Area of California, a couple hours north of San Francisco in the wine country, which explains both her obsessive recycling and penchant for wine. She completed her B.A.'s in both English (with emphasis in linguistics and education) and Spanish, spending one year abroad in Madrid, Spain. She does not speak Spanish, but thinks it sounds lovely.

Intermediate.

2. Publication: Have you self-published, including online? 
Just began submitting for publication to lit mags middle of last year and have submitted to both print and online, but don't have any super impressive publication creds.  No interest currently in self publishing or compiling a manuscript to send out.  

3. Agency: Do you have an agent? If so, how badass are they? If not, how badass are you?
Well.  Let's just say I got a Christmas bonus.  
I mean, wine is like paying yourself to be your own agent, right?

Realistically?  I dunno, I like to believe that I will wear Rattle down.  In the long run, I'd like to be at the point where I have an agent and don't have worry about that end of it.  
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
wiiiiiiine

Napa is gorgeous. I got deliciously drunk there a couple years ago :nod: have you been to the winery that looks like a castle?
vespera Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
LOL the one that's in Sonoma County off of hwy 12? Not in Napa? LOL - cause if that's the one, I grew up about 8 minutes down the highway from that.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The Castello de Amorosa, name courtesy of ~Lytrigian :B
vespera Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
AH that is a different - that one I used to drive by on the way to my ex bf's house ;) LOL

So many wineries ;)
Add a Comment: