Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 139

Your story is complete...now what?

:iconhobbitpunk:
HobbitPunk Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Writer
So I have myself in a very frustrating (but no doubt common) situation...bear with me as I explain.

6 years ago, I began the process of writing my first novel, and it became "Mirage - The First of the Nascentian Chronicles".

What started as a 10-page children's book about monsters under the bed has now become a 5-part saga with a 20-story "mini-series" in the middle.

Book 1 (Mirage) was self-published to 100 copies to family and friends, with the intent of getting feedback from everyone who read it. What needed changing? What didn't work? What did you love, and what did you think sucked? That kinda thing.

The feedback came through, the opening chapters completely re-written to better fit a younger audience (make the main character more relatable), and the ending had an additional chapter and a half added to it for better closure.

A week and a half ago, I decided to put the final product on amazon for digital-release. In her first week, Mirage was in the top 5 Mythology Best-Sellers list and was constantly competing with Lord of the Rings for the #1 spot. But now...Mirage isn't even in the top-400,000. I have a distinct feeling that the only sales I have made are from friends, and not a single sale has come from a 'stranger'. The book is selling for $2.99 (If you type "Nascentian" into amazon's search, it'll pop up) so it certainly isn't the price but...

...NOW what?! Aside from spending 90% of my day writing countless emails, spamming my facebook friends (who are probably rolling their eyes at me by now) and signing up on forum after forum after forum, just to get the word out and try to get my numbers up (I kinda want to work on book 2!), what more can I do?

I have followers on Twitter, Facebook, here on Deviantart, and on Google+. My sales should be in the hundred's, but my report shows 18 total.

So how do you keep your book from sinking into the Abyss of obscurity...without spending a ton of money? There is all this talk online about the awesomeness of being an indie author, but they DONT tell you how difficult it is to self-market.

Suggestions? What has worked for you?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconannalwagner:
AnnaLWagner Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Kickstarter.com? Have a charity to give the book away for free, donate all proceeds to charity intended, get name of book out there. Than word of mouth will happen if its deemed in favor. Even throw up the option of 'If yo udont want to participate in charity and still interested in book, it is available on amazon.. bla bla bla.'

Just an idea. Word of mouth is the most successful tool. Even throw your charity up on reddit if you like for more attention for a supporting cause.
:iconpandadrake:
Pandadrake Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
Go to conventions. Talk to influential people. Set up a web page for your book series. Write a new book.

Stop thinking about what the sales should be, worry about expressing to other people how much this book is worth to you.
HobbitPunk Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Writer
Just so happens there is a major fan expo her in Vancouver in the next couple months. May have to get some cards together to hand out while I'm there. Not bad thinking!
:iconwaiting-for-wings:
waiting-for-wings Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
pure opinion because i have no experience in this but - you already have your name out as much as you probably can other than making friends and encouraging them. try writing another story. if its liked well enough people may look to find other stories written by you. i do it all the time with authors i like.
I don;t know if its practical for you or not but - give it a go.
HobbitPunk Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional Writer
lol thanks.

The novel I'm speaking of is book 1 in a series of 5, as well as a 20-volume "mini-series" of 2 page short stories.

Book 2 has already begun and the short-stories will be done periodically when I have a book 2 writer's block and posted on my site as free-to-reads.

I also have 3-4 books planned that are not related to the Nascentian Chronicles in any way, so I have plenty of writing to do ;)

This is just the first step.
:iconwaiting-for-wings:
waiting-for-wings Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
sounds good other than professional advertising I don't really know what you could do. maybe just work on your other book for now
:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional General Artist
If you need a proofreader inbox me.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm going to strongly recommend you clean up what's in your gallery before advertising services, at the moment your latest lit looks like it could use some editing. : O
:iconjin-saotome:
Jin-Saotome Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Unfortunately, yeah, you need to spend a TON of time 'advertising' your book if you're not actually paying for advertising. Sign up to some online forums that deal in creative writing/fantasy writing. Start sending free copies of it to reviewers maybe?
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional
A glass of wine and a bl:iconbangkillplz:
Add a Comment: