Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Favorite Poetic Form...To Read

:icona--anthony:
A--Anthony Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
I've been playing around with a few different poetic forms recently, the latest of which have been a bref double and a ballade, and have found them fun to put together, but I'm not sure how inviting they actually are to read, other than to hard-core poetry fans. Personally, I like simple rhyming schemes in a poem that tells a story. Too much Dr. Seuss as a child, I suppose ;)

What poetic forms do you find most attractive when it comes to reading and why?
Does the subject matter have more influence on whether or not you read the poem than the form?
Does the form ever stop you from reading a poem, even if you are attracted to the subject matter?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontintinnabuli:
Tintinnabuli Featured By Owner Apr 20, 2013  Student Writer
For me, a form with some relation to the subject matter is always ideal,
but I tend to fall in love most easily with ghazal, sestina, pantoum, and villanelle.
There's something empowering about well-placed repetition, like a mantra or prayer.
:iconnatesaint:
natesaint Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2013  Student Writer
Epic poetry: Homer, Virgil, Ovid, Spenser, and Milton.
:iconemperor-wildrose:
Emperor-WildRose Featured By Owner Mar 24, 2013
Epic poetry, and the philosophical style of Fernando Pessoa's various heteronyms are my favourite poetic forms.
A--Anthony Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2013
I've never heard of heteronyms before, they sound so interesting! The idea of writing not just under assumed names but assumed personalities must be so much fun :D I'm definitely going to look into Pessoa's poetry. What about heteronyms appeals to you (for example, the deliberate creation of another personality, or perhaps seeing shades of the original author in the created personality)? Do you find it differs a great deal from poetry written by poets who write as a character other than themselves, but not with the deliberate intention of creating a heteronym?
:iconimaginative-lioness:
imaginative-lioness Featured By Owner Mar 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I really enjoy epic poems - however I don't have the patience to write them, so I write mini epics ♥
A--Anthony Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2013
Epic poetry is a lot of fun, I really like poems that tell stories :) What type of heroes do you like to read (and write) about? (Do you prefer fantasy, historical, mythological, etc.?) How long of a poem would you consider a mini epic, as opposed to a true epic?
:iconimaginative-lioness:
imaginative-lioness Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm pretty flexible, though I do prefer fantasy or historical. I'm not really sure, I like to think that a 'mini epic' tells a story at the very least... Between ten or twenty stanzas maybe?
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013   Writer
I do have a soft spot for prose poetry. I started reading Robert Hass' work recently and some of his longer poems switch from prose poetry to free verse, quite lovely.
A--Anthony Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I found a few of his poems online, I especially like the way he ends some of his lines, almost tricking the reader into assuming he means one thing until you read the next line. What draws you to prose poetry? Do you find it easier to read than fixed forms, or perhaps more coherent? Does the subject matter enter into the equation?
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013   Writer
Before I'll reply to your question, I'll have to ask you something first. Have you read prose poems by Hass? If you talk about line breaks, I'd say you've read his stuff in free verse. A prose poem is a poem written as a piece of prose, so without any linebreaks or something. Not meaning to bitch on you or something. :)
Add a Comment: