Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

20th Anniversary of Writing - What should I do?

:iconchris-ticehurst:
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
In a couple of years time it will be twenty years since I started writing. It's been a long trip, many things I remember and some I have forgotten. Of course if I wish to plan something big I would need a couple years to work on it and shuffle it around the normal writings and projects that I would be doing. However I'm not sure on what type of special project I would do.

I'm looking for suggestions and ideas from people and I'll see where I could take them. Love to see what you can come up with and of course think outside the box as I normally do!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013   Writer
I'd recommend not putting too much time into it. There's little point celebrating a twenty year anniversary of writing if you spent 10% of that time working on some anniversary project. :shrug: By all means invite people over. Have a party. Get drunk and play ping pong. But don't be one of those people who spends more time "being a writer" than they spend writing. Put your effort into writing the things you really want to write. :-)
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Of course my idea would be to look into a special writing project. Something I haven't done before
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013   Writer
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say. :confused: Do you mean your "special writing project" would be something you'd write anyway? If that's the case, what would make it special?
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Special in terms of it's a rare thing like a poetry book. I have wrote one. Putting all my characters from different stories into one - that would be special or rare
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I can understand that too but you have music artists that release special albums that were released back 20 years ago so the idea of it is not uncommon. I just wanted to do different. Now it might not be special or rare compared to others but this is about my own writings and that my own characters have never mixed with each other.

I would it to be a boring year if I just did the same stuff as I would normally do. My main issue as a writer is that I think outside of the box alot and most people don't "get me". Most writers follow the boring pathway, write a book, try and get it published, repeat.
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013   Writer
I'm still not 100% clear on what you're hoping to do (neither of those examples sound special/rare, in that plenty of other people have done them), but going back to my original point: it seems kind of silly to spend any significant amount of time working on something to celebrate a 20th writing anniversary. It strikes me as being a little like a professional athlete lazing around in front of the TV for a week to celebrate 20 years of being an athlete. :shrug: Time spent working on the anniversary project is time not spent working on your actual story/stories.

It also seems like a bit of a Catch 22. If you'd write the thing anyway, it's not special. If you wouldn't write it anyway, you're letting yourself get distracted, surely?
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional
Buy a hooker and set her on fire.
:iconavatar-720:
Avatar-720 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Buy a cake, have a hooker jump out it, set her on fire and eat the cake.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional
:iconfblikeplz:
:iconavatar-720:
Avatar-720 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
*out of it.

Derp.
Add a Comment: