Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 71

At that age.

:iconalansteenhouwer:
AlanSteenhouwer Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I'm writing a part of my story from when my character was just a teenager. I need a term for Puberty that would fit into an ancient/medieval setting. Bonus point for it sounding like a term the kids themselves would use. More bonus points for it being descriptive of the growth spurt.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artist
"Boy"

"Lad"

"Half-way drunkard" -- aka, on the way to being a drinking fool with no prospects

"Fool"

"Goth" -- in the original meaning, that generally meant a barbarian/heathen, so best used in negative context
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Writer
"Coming of age" . . . how about you read some books in that setting with young characters and see how they handle it?
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Youth.
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   Writer
/end thread.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional
"First-splat." "Splatprime." "Cummas." "I got the dream of the swimming tadpole syrup, Jedediah!"
I'm trying not to laugh thanks to you. They don't work, but they're certainly entertaining.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I’m sorry. I just realized that Medieval Puberty would be an awesome name for a band.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional
:iconfblikeplz:

JUBO WHERE YOU BEEN LADY.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I work too much. I no have time to forum. :(
That it would. This comment made my day.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd think about what is most significant for them about coming of age. Knighthood, marriage, etc...?
Well that would be the zits mostly. They're just becoming teenagers, not adults.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artist
The mindset of different areas were very different than they are today. Paradigms were far from where we are now. You normally only knew about a small area, didn't move too far from where you were born, and had a rather simple life. Everyone worked, communication was lax, and education was non-existent, depending on where you lived. Cities were often dirty and heavily class-based.
:iconlovely-words:
Lovely-Words Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In an ancient/medieval setting, teenagers were pretty much adults so yeah, things like marriage and professions would be in the forefront of their mind. Zits would be a thing that was there, but wouldn't be important considering all the other things they would have to worry about. I would strongly suggest doing some research on the lifestyles of people living during those times.
Yeah if they were sixteen. They're twelve, and thirteen. Learning dad's trade isn't important yet. They aren't even fully developed. They're growing by the day, and realizing girls are attractive.
Girls at the age of 12-14 (if nobility) were being married off and boys were off learning trades (seeking their professions). Farmers and serfs were doing hard labor well into their twenties before they married. In those times you were either a child or you were an adult. There was no real transitional stage. Seriously, do extensive research on the topic.
bahaha, I couldn't figure out why nothing was coming to mind but this is totally it :slow: teenagers didn't fuckin' exist until like the 1900s!
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013   Digital Artist
Just like how Tweens didn't exist until 2009. :B
Tweens is a thing that needs to die out. Now.
(1 Reply)
Fucking tweens :stare:
(1 Reply)
The term "teenagers" is actually 1920's slang. :nod: That was the time when people were much more able to enjoy luxuries and the middle class was growing so there were more children able to enjoy the transitional stages between childhood and adulthood more freely. Something most people don't understand when talking about anything before the 1900s.
See, this is why people don't do research: you do it for them!

It slipped my mind before, but I'm remembering things about the development of the leisure class in a post-Industrial Revolution setting :dummy:
(1 Reply)
Well it wasn't like that everywhere, but you got a point... Actually I think you might of just inspired an idea. "Becoming men."
...You just don't want to do research, don't you?
I have. The culture I'm basing it on is Macedonia after the military reforms of Philip II. A noble boy was first sent to basic schooling sometime in childhood, so before or at ten. At some point probably early puberty (11-13) they started to be taught soldiering, in addition to the regular curiculum, through classes in horsemanship, lancing, swordsmanship, and archery. When they reached 16, they were added to the regular army, normally into the Hezetairoi, the Companion Cavalry.
(1 Reply)
There must be more than that if it's a change they're actually noticing. :shrug:
That's why I said for it to be descriptive of the growth spurt. My character is being confronted by boys in his class, and he's realizing that fighting is going end less and less with bruises and more with broken bones.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
In his class? I assume this isn't an actual historical setting.
No. But the setting for this one is based on ancient history in Greece and Macedonia, where there was school-like institution for the noble class. I just gave an example to ~Moonshine-Sonata if you want to see.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
OK, that's not even remotely "medieval".
They used swords and spears, and marched to battle in formation. Too me ancient Greece wasn't that much difference than the rest of Europe in the medieval age. I guess it's a good thing I'm writing fiction, ey? :iconimwinkingplz:
(2 Replies)
Sorry, this just completely confused me. The impression I'm getting, though, is that you can't be satisfied with other people's suggestions because it's YOUR story.
No. I need a term. Something like "the growth", or "His balls dropping".
What's wrong with either of those?
It just doesn't sound right. The first is too simple, and the other has nothing to do with growth spurt.
(1 Reply)
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Writer
"Coming of age" sounds like something that would resemble puberty (though it could mean multiple things) during an ancient setting. I'm certain there are more, and they're right on the tip of my tongue but not coming to me. I'm sure I'll think of them eventually.
That one already came to me. It just doesn't sound good where I intend to put it. Post them here when you do.
Add a Comment: