Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Original Character Shtuff

:iconferorodono:
ferorodono Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
So I just wanted to talk about anything and everything literature. I have a few books in the making (one biggie especially), so I have a few original characters to share, if you want to exchange ideas and whatnot.

Feel free to join this chat! (I honestly don't mind if we end up discussing the duplicate perimeter of powdered cheeseballs,...) xD

~~~

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have a lot of characters and stories. :la: Some I'm hoping to get published, others I'll just end up posting on here.

Check my journal for some of the stories I'll be posting here, if you want.

I've noticed a lot of my characters are either animals or non-humans. Is that weird?
:iconkioukjioy:
kioukjioy Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
May I ask what genre of literature you're specified in?

Also, about characters, i find that mine are mostly women. Is that a problem?
:iconwritingbycandlelight:
I assume that question was for ferorodono, but as a writer myself, most of my characters are female. It's fine in my book (pardon the pun). But I really don't think it matters, just as long as your character is interesting and someone a person will want to read more about.
kioukjioy Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
It's just that when i started writing I had a ensemble of five characters, two of which male. But later on, as my writing "evolved" and I started creating separate characters, the first ones are female. And i find it sort of hard to think and make a developed male character. I guess I'll sort it out with practice.

Yes, the most important thing for a character is to be unique.
ferorodono Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I agree with :iconwritingbycandlelight:. Your story can consist of all female characters, or all male, as long as they are rounded out and it makes sense to have no (or next to no) male characters (maybe the story takes place at an all girl's school?). Of course, there are so many exceptions to this that it all depends on how YOU write it.
Hope this helps! ^^
kioukjioy Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks, it did! :D
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I a not sure what point there is to characters other than their actions within books. How far have you got towards completing a novel?
ferorodono Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I have several chapters, and a binder with outlines, maps, and character forms. Each character is tied to each other in a way, which is why I have to make outlines of each ^^
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Have you considered that spending so much time on the characters may be distracting you from finishing the actual novel?

I say that from the point of view of someone who has written several novels and a dozen novellas, but not a single character sheet.
ferorodono Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I have written a bunch of stories already, without character sheets, but in this particular novel I find that it helps to keep my thoughts/outlines on paper. (This is unusual for me, normally! ^^)
Add a Comment: