Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Does the "enter text here" box kill anyone else's muse?

:iconsharpguard:
I'm a hardcore poet, I'm coming up with little snippets on the go all the time, I have little lyrics sitting around wherever I go. But when I come to type a song onto DA, the "insert text here" box seems to drain all the artistic ability out of me, leaving em feeling like an illiterate dumbass with the vocabulary of a 5 year old. It's not even me being nervous, I love to perform, I even do freestyle raps and I've been in rap battles, so I'm anything but shy when it comes to showing off my creativity. It's just that fucking little text block seems to work some voodoo on me and I just walk away feeling like my wordplay had been sucked away into a void of emptiness.

Anyone else have that problem?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Type it into something else first. Then cut and paste.
:iconoilux:
Oilux Jan 14, 2013  Student Writer
Oh my gosh, yes. It's like clicking that button suddenly opens one up to critiques and harshness that wasn't there before. And the fact that after you click that button you can't edit the text unless you submit it and then edit it again, really doesn't help.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Jan 14, 2013  Professional Writer
Hardcore, eh?  But not hardcore enough to create elsewhere and edit and revise and proofread and make a hardcore product that people will actually want to read?  Hardcore.
I'm not a machine focusing on the technics. Would writing elsewhere help? In many cases it would. I'm not obligated to confine to your standards of writing, do things you consider to be maximum effort, and produce a piece you want. The thing about art is sometimes it comes out and the majority of people think it's effortless shit. But to that person, and maybe even a few others, it means something. Look at the abstract painters, who throw paint at canvases. Some people cry when they see it and pay thousands for it, while others (even including myself) ponder what the fuck the big deal is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unwilling to improve, I take critique and I thank people. But I hate when people talk like douchebags about other people's effort like they own this site and everything has to meet their criteria.

Sorry to shove this whole rant on you, it's more towards a whole idea, but I had to get it off my chest. It's just these kind of elitist cynical fucks piss me off more than any dumbfuck posting shitty sonic animu doodles or idiot making sparkledogs with messed up anatomy. At least they don't think they own the site and talk a bunch of snarky shit everywhere like they have to compensate for something.
:iconvglory:
The 'technics' of working hard to make something worth reading? I would not consider that optional.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Jan 15, 2013  Professional Writer
I'm not being elitist or cynical. What I'm saying is that if you're putting your work out there for an audience -- which you are -- you need to consider that. What is your best work? How do you create your best work?

And I will say this -- Jackson Pollock? Pablo Picasso? They, like so many abstract artist, were studied and skilled in traditional, realist painting.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In the future, journals aren't a bad place for this sort of stuff. (Or the Complaints forum.) :)
Just made a thread of the same nature in general since it was art related, but if you feel it needs to be in complaints, go ahead and do so.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Should be okay. :shrug: You may want to mention that to the person you responded to?
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No, don't have this problem. Why not write your first draft down on something else whether it is paper or a word possessor before uploading it to DA? Planning and having the ability to edit before uploading goes a long way.
Add a Comment: