Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 62

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Writer
....AND THAT'S OKAY.  But you have to own it.  Admitting you're wrong isn't weakness.  But a lot of you refuse to back down when someone says, "wel,, actually, it's like this..." ...even when said someone is totally right.  There's a lot of having-the-;lst-word going on around here, even when the last word is total bs.  So here's what I need from y'all:

Tell me about a time you didn't know what you were talking about, and someone here in the lit forums totally pwnd you.

Tell me about a time you gave horrible advice just because you wanted to contribute to a conversation.  Own up to it, retract that advice, ask for better advice.  NOW.

Tell me about a time you had to pwn someone who was talking out of their butt.  Bonus points if you actually did pwn, and aren't talking out your butt yourself.

Feel free to whine about some know-it-all jerk who corrects you all the time (but know that the regulars will probably come in with their hammers if you're wrong).

Admit something you don't know and wish you knew more about.

STOP PRETENDING YOU KNOW STUFF WHEN YOU DON'T.

I'm going to go finish eating my cookie now.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Writer
I know a boss-everyone-around guy on another site, and every time somebody even typed a typo the guy 'shouts' at you (or is it a gal?).
Reporting him/her doesn't work, the site admins see the user as 'a well-respected order keeper of the community'.
And the user goes telling off you for your very existence.
Most of the times you know exactly what you are talking about (commenting on a book on a 'Worst book ever' thread, for example) the user PMs or quotes your thing and say you aren't being 'nice' or that 'The author never did that!' because he/she happens to like that author, and the author actually did that.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Professional
:iconbawwwwwwwwwplz:
:iconcheshirelies:
CheshireLies Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
I'm not sure this is very relevant but reading the topic made me think of this:

The only thing I can think of that is mildly related was the time a fellow writer posted a journal in his writing group crying about how someone had said they didn't like the writing group itself. They didn't trash talk, just simply said they didn't find it as interesting as others did. The group owner went into a ragefit and posted a journal in his group, as well as his own account, and when I stepped in to say I thought he was blowing it out of proportion, he proceeded to call out both my own work and the other dude's, and say that his group was way better than anything we could produce, although I'd never had a problem with his group.

Nobody got 'pwned' for say, but it definitely opened my eyes on someone I had previously respected.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Writer
I ALWAYS KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT EVEN WHEN I DON'T
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Writer
:stare:
It must be true because my mum said my writing is the best thing ever and I'm so good at it so I must know everything and my English teacher really likes this one poem that I wrote and so I didn't pay attention in class and just kept writing poetry after that. Clearly there is no more I could possibly learn and I am an expert on writign and stuff
I will shank you.
Isn't that illegal? I'm pretty sure shanks are endangered.

Yeah, they totes are. Who doesn't know that? You, apparently.
/me shanks
Aw shit, dog. Now I'm dead. Why you gotta be like that? U just jelly of my mad skillz
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Writer
Or something like that.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
YES LEARN THE SHANK
ALL OF THE SHANK.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
SHANKY SHANKY SHANK
:iconglossolalias:
glossolalias Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
i don't have any lit forum stories, unfortunately, but i do have two stories. let's start with the "shame on me" story--

in a creative writing class, i got into an argument with a teacher because he docked points on something i had written, saying that a sentence in it was grammatically incorrect. i was adamant that i was right--and when i looked it up and found out i wasn't, i changed my story and said i had done it purposefully. :stare: he called me out on it in front of the class, which i totally deserved.

now, "shame on someone else."

i was having a conversation with a girl about her rejection from a lit magazine. she was going on and on about how good her work was, and it was getting pretty obnoxious, especially because she refused to show me the short story that had been rejected. finally, i said, "ooookay james joyce" and rolled my eyes.

she didn't get it but laughed it off. later, i mentioned the book 'the portrait of the artist as a young man' and she was like, "oh i love that book!"

curious, i probed, "oh, really? who's it by, i can't remember?"

"uh, oscar wilde, right?"

i nodded and just left her to it.
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I wrote a reverse cinquain once, and some asshole told me it was supposed to rhyme. I'm nearly 100% positive they don't, usually.
If they do, I'd be the asshole in this situation, and I'd openly admit to it.
Why don't you go find out? You have the whole internets at your fingertips.
I did; looks like I'm right. I just don't like to put all my faith in Wikipedia, is all.
There are sources other than Wikipedia. Cross-reference!
You're absolutely right. Gotta love the internet.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
so question, what if you think you know what you're talking about?

HOW DO YOU FIX THAT.
I think we should always assume we have more to learn. Know that we aren't experts in a field until we have significant experience and even then there are people who know more than us. Always have our ears and eyes open. Research, read up on the things we think we know and find out if there is more to know (there usually is).

These are the best fixes I can think of.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That is fucking beautiful.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Writer
What can I say....I'm a genius.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
ALL HAIL.
:iconwebkinzagirl:
webkinzagirl Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
I nearly never comment on the forums (or IRL, I'm a lurker at heart) but there must be a dozen times I bs'd my way with a topic and got pwn'd. However, when I realized they were right, I apologized and retracted my opinion.

I don't normally give advice, so I'll skip this question.

On the forums, a person was rambling about how science presented by the government was all fake and the world was actually flat. I'm pretty sure he/she was a troll, but I am proud of myself for recalling at least four ways to see for yourself that the world is round and the person never replied back.

I wish I knew more weird trivia about animals and such.

I hope you had a nice cookie. :lol:
:iconthelittleone:
thelittleone Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS YELLING AT ME!? :fear:

There's nothing for me to admit because I think things into being! :evillaugh:

Things don't exist until I acknowledge them, so how could I ever be wrong?
:icondrippingwords:
DrippingWords Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know enough to answer your questions.

I wish I knew how to interact in the forum better, instead of running away with my tail between my legs half the time.

:iconcookie1plz::iconcookie2plz::iconcookie3plz:
:iconcookie4plz::iconcookie5plz::iconcookie6plz:
:iconcookie7plz::iconcookie8plz::iconcookie9plz:

:iconcookieglompplz:
:iconcookiegwompplz:
:iconcookielaplz:
:iconcookielickplz:
:iconcookieloveplz:
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
I wish I knew more about handling self-publishing and recent novels because my head's been so busy with school and getting started in indie game development that I haven't had that much time with newer stuff. Most of what I read these days is for school, although I have a few books on my radar.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't say what I say because I don't want to say nothing.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I say what I don't say because I do want to say something.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You don't say?
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:clap:
:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013   Writer
I'm glad you're only asking for one time.  I think I erroneously flamed a contest announcement journal a few years ago because of one of the criteria: please proofread your work before entering the contest. :lol:  outrageous requirement, right?  My complaint was that the criteria (a common one for lit contests) was focusing on grammar and not on what I thought counted, which was creativity and adherence to the contest prompt.  I think I was projecting my own perceived literary weakness by claiming that the focus on grammar and punctuation was shallow, and therefore flawed. What a noob.  In hindsight, it stands as a supremely stupid moment on my part, but nobody stood up to pawn me.  I wish they had.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Writer
Bahahaha. Oh man, you deserved epic pwning for that. Thanks for sharing!
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
A very long time ago, I gave some advice on the use of passive voice that was not entirely wrong but was wonky due to my not full understanding how it's used and defined.  A few people noted my errors, and I've since been careful advising about grammar when my understanding of the terminology or logic is more vague.

I've had to correct people's understanding of stream of consciousness a few times, last time 2-3 months ago.  I don't know if it's the way the term is taught (or not taught) or what, but people tend to conflate it with free/automatic writing, which describes a methodology, not a style per se.  Which is what stream of consciousness is, a style.  Just because it resembles the rambling quality of thought doesn't mean that it's written on the fly.
:iconshadowedacolyte:
ShadowedAcolyte Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I have seen teachers instruct students in the method of for-lack-of-a-better-term freewriting and call that process "stream of consciousness". And in a certain sense, it's an appropriate term, since you are just writing down your stream of consciousness.

I understand the (huge) difference between that and crafted writing that apes thought-processes, though, and so I'm not strictly disagreeing with you. I've just heard (relatively) educated people use the same term for two different things, one a method and one a style. It's certainly confusing, but that is sort of the English way: "Clarity? Not in my language!"
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
Good point. It makes sense they would be conflated, and I guess I can understand why reasonably well educated people might do so. Still, I think it confuses the terminology and also leads readers to make assumptions about certain works that are untrue.
:iconshadowedacolyte:
ShadowedAcolyte Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
That last bit is probably most bothersome to me. It's not like Joyce just crapped out Ulysses in an afternoon while bored.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
SRSLY. That's why I get so annoyed. It totally disregards the level of thought and intent put into works of that style. Heck, even On the Road, which was written closer to an automatic fashion, went through edits.
Man, that stream of consciousness thing just keeps coming up, doesn't it?
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yes, it seems to be a common misconception, and I'm really not sure why.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Of course I never fuck up. EVER.

haha, that's lies. however I do not see the problem with changing one's mind after a strong argument if you can own up to it like a big kid.

Admit something you don't know and wish you knew more about.

Writingwise....

*how to write thrillers
*how to write romance
*are there any other big mass market genres I'm missing here?
I do not see the problem with changing one's mind after a strong argument if you can own up to it like a big kid.

:iconthisplz:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:salute:
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Writer
My butt is the only thing on me that talks.  I gotta drop my drawers to order a cheeseburger.
Much like Ace Ventura. Are you also a pet detective?
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
Okay, so I can't recall being pwned on the lit forums, probably because I'm relatively new to them (it's bound to happen sooner or later) but I can relate some other lit-related pwnage.

1. I once wrote a story where the bulk of it was about this guy trying to land a crashing plane. It was plenty dramatic, but it also sucked because it became pretty clear that I knew nothing about how plane-flying works, I hadn't done any research at all. So both *RalfMaximus and a pilot friend offline called me on it. I can't remember exactly, but I might've been more defensive than I should've been (the correct amount of defensive being NOT AT ALL). I also lose points because my solution was to revise the plane out of the story ^^;

2. Bad advice I've given: I recall in high school (I believe it was on the lit forum here) someone asked if they should go to some private college because they had a good Creative Writing undergrad program and they wanted to be a writer, but the school was expensive. And I believe my response was, "FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS you can pay off debt later THAT'S WHAT I'M GONNA DOOOOO!" Which was: 1. terrible advice and 2. didn't turn out to be true, as my parents didn't let me go to Kenyon for the Creative Writing undergrad and I didn't want to take on all the loans myself.

I'm open to better advice from anybody. ATM, however, I tend to subscribe to, "There is more than one way to achieve your dream, it's okay to have more than one dream, and you don't have to gamble with massive loans on that kind of career."

3. Pwning someone else: I'm pretty bad at pwning. Like, I started that thread about what poetry people read, and someone responded that that idea that poets should read poetry was, and I quote, "alarming," and that "My most loved inspiration Stevie Smith purposefully avoided reading poetry to keep her voice pure and original."

Aaaand my first thought was, "Man, I wish `raspil were on the forums." But she's not, and I don't think I have an inner `raspil to channel, so I basically said that's very unusual and that most poets are driven by their passion for poetry, and love to read it. Plus, generally, we shouldn't be afraid of being changed by people.

Not sure I pwned a whole lot.

Stuff I don't know about that I wish I did:

-Eastern poetry
-Dadaism and the movement surrounding it
-more about neuroscience than I currently do (currently hooked on neuroticthought.tumblr.com)
-Life in feudal Japan
-How might an intelligent species evolve under water
-Life/culture in current Egypt (or perhaps leading up to the riots)
:iconglossolalias:
glossolalias Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
ahahahahaha oh the plane story. that's gorgeous.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
:D Hehe.
Add a Comment: