Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

What kinds of inventions do you think the year 2157 will have? (I need ideas and you guys can help!)

:iconmidnalovez:
midnalovez Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Currently I am developing a novel that revolves around the era of the 22nd century. The exact date is 2157. The main character is a very realistic android full of weaponry. But what I want to know is, what kinds of inventions will there be? I'd think humans will have made it to Mars by then or are going there soon.

You guys are creative, I'd like to know what there could be in the future :D I've been developing this novel for quite some time now.

ideas I currently have:
Telekinesis (weak)
Telepathy (via implant)
Androids
Sentry bots in banks and schools for protection
mechanical terrorists(?)
Genetically modified animals (for police forces, such as super strong dogs)

TL;DR: What do you think 2157's inventions will/might be at that time?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist
Having just returned from the year 2157 in my Chronoskimmer 450SL, I think I can speak with some authority on what things are like. Apparently genetic experiments gone awry have produced giant panda bears which roam the Wyoming countryside (I went to Wyoming, which is what people used to call "Texas" after it became "Florida").

Most cities are surrounded by citrus orchards, which tend to keep the pandas at bay. It's not a perfect system. Sometimes the pandas sprout wings and dive into the cities. This happens more often than you might think, so most cities have a network of sirens set up on the street corners. They all play "La Cucaracha". I'll never listen to that song the same way again.

Space travel isn't as common as you'd think. It turns out that just beyond the moon, the rest of space is just painted on some sort of canvas. Efforts to drill through the fabric have proved unsuccessful. There's a giant zipper in the direction of the North Star, but it's caught on a thread.

That's about all I'm allowed to reveal. I'm under contract to not reveal what happened to Philadelphia. If I were you, though, I'd stockpile kazoos.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Underwater cities. One way or another, some cities will be underwater by then.
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I expect us to have all killed eachother by then, so I can't exactly tell you. However, those seem like some realistic guesses, considering the statistics for some of them.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Other than the GM animals I think you are being wildly optimistic about the progress that will be made in 44 years.
:iconsmarticleparticle:
SmarticleParticle Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I like the idea of an android, but I would be careful with that idea. According to Michio Kaku, the technological singularity is due at any time, I've even heard one estimate that says 2029. The singularity is basically when machines' intelligence surpasses our own, but what consequences would this have for humans? One idea is that we would merge with machines and upload our conciouses to a mainframe type thing, to avoid being eradicated.

So, having bodies would be redundant. We would be the computers. Then again, I'm thinking of the Matrix, where the machines basically used us for energy, so it could go either way.

Even though they don't know exactly when the singularity will arrive, before 2157 definitely seems like a reasonable guess. Think about how powerful the computers which took Apollo 11 to the moon were; I'd guess they were less powerful than my laptop, and they would have been great big clunky things. Now, an iPhone has a similar amount of power as one of those old 1980s computers which they played Pacman on.

This video will probably explain it better than I can. '^^ [link]
midnalovez Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Oh! Hey that's a very amazing idea, thank you so much for sharing this video with me!
Btw I think that guy is a badass haha.
:iconsmarticleparticle:
SmarticleParticle Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yes he is. :iconbadassplz:
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Why not research some cool technology being created now, and try to imagine how it might be more advanced in the future? For instance:

:bulletred: nanobots [link]
:bulletred: programmable DNA [link],
:bulletred: tardigrades/extremeophiles (what if humans could create larger extremophile animals?) [link],
:bulletred: mind-reading machines [link] ,
:bulletred: invisibility [link] ,
:bulletred: robots that can be mind-controlled (even by monkeys!) [link]
:bulletred: a machine that helps people learn faster [link]
:bulletred: a pill that makes people smarter [link]
:bulletred: a pill or device that makes you lose weight without exercising (so many being researched to choose from!)

Think about the world in your story. What dangers are in your society? Overpopulation? Violence? Run out of oil? If that's the case, how might people have tried to create technologies to combat the problems? For instance, if in the future humans run out of oil, maybe more efficient solar technologies are invented. Or if the air is super polluted, maybe people have to wear special gas-masks to go outside.

If your main character is a doctor, research medical technology. If he's a soldier, research military technology. A teacher, research new educational methods. Have fun!
midnalovez Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I pretty much have all of those in mind, but not so much the programmable DNA and the pill/device to help people lose weight faster.

I am also quite aware of a lot of those issues that are concerns of today haha.

And thank you for the ideas/suggestions!
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student General Artist
No problem!
:iconpineapplehunter:
pineapplehunter Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Devices that allow invisibility. Leaps and bounds are already being made in the area of metamaterials. We're also really close when it comes to holograms (meaning the kind you see in Star Wars).
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Computers would not be binary based, instead use the quantem mechanics for calculations. As such, encryption and network security (in this world) would be vulnerable. What would possibly happen instead is the idea that dynamically changing salting methods (throwing in random information into the process of encrypting a password,) just about everything implementing the "3 tries then lockout" method, and/or a physical key and being at the physical server is required to get in secure information.

People logging into everything with their face, or else their eyes. This is done by simply looking into a camera and the computer logging in correctly.

There are no personal desktops or laptops: just servers and a port to put in some kind of mobile device. Everything is either done by the servers or the mobile device.

Said mobile device can run an entire house's needs, including watching TV, surfing the web, playing video games, typing up a paper, drawing on something, etc. More than likely people have their personal computer.

Internet is instaneous through quantem lines. Only bottle neck is what the sender and the receiver can deal with in a given second.

All mobile devices have the graphical output to create a realistic image in real time at 120 fps. Not everything is realistic looking though.

AI exists to do specific tasks, nothing else. They are not designed with emotion beyond their base one. Instead, most AIs deal with solving problems as the problems change. (Way too much computer science lingo here.)
Ah, thank you very much for your suggestions! :D
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   Writer
There's absolutely no way of coming up with an accurate prediction of this sort of thing. There are, as I see it, two sorts of futuristic technology. One is things that "we" as a civilization have now, but "we" as a culture haven't really picked up: eg. brain-computer interfaces. They exist, but few people actually have (or want) them. I remember a day when mobile phones were like this. I expect we'll see more of these things once people come up with more uses for them, games developers start to support them, and the devices themselves become cheaper and more powerful.

For a more extreme example, I believe it would be possible to drive a Formula One car upside-down (on the ceiling) using nothing but current technology. F1 cars generate downforce in much the same way aeroplanes generate lift, so if you could get one up to speed (and stick it on the ceiling somehow), you could drive it upside down. The problem is that whatever special track or car flipping system you used to do this would be prohibitively expensive, take ages to build and be no good for anything else whatsoever. I would not be all that surprised, however, if "Upside-down Uber Racing" becomes a sport eventually. You've got to assume that the track or car flipper would be cheaper by then, which might make it profitable as entertainment. That guy who parachuted from space recently would not have been doing that fifty years ago, even though (as far as I'm aware) no individual element of the stunt was actually impossible at that time. Even just regular F1 racing must have seemed like the stuff of science fiction at one point.

The other sort of future technology technology involves things that are not only impractical, but not currently possible. It's not a matter of making these things cheaper, better, or more universal: the world's top minds are held back by some crippling problem that needs to be solved. Maybe the idea is sound in theory, but no modern material can support it (eg. space elevators or Dyson spheres). These things might be built someday, but if they will we don't know how. However, even if they are possible, there's no guarantee they'll get used. Maybe fusion power makes Dyson spheres uneconomical. Perhaps some sort of anti-gravity machine is invented and nobody needs space elevators. :shrug:

Getting back to your original question, there are a couple of reasons why these two types of future tech are important. One is that there will always be a gap between what can be done and what's commonly done. Also, the "sound in theory" variety of tech is entirely up for grabs. It doesn't matter whether or not these things actually will be made, because at this stage we can't prove they won't. But on the other hand, there's no guarantee that the stuff we can do now will ever be done. People have already spent an awful lot of time and energy not using atomic bombs, and for good reason. One story I'm working on is set in a world where, following a disaster caused by a weaponized virus, use of genetic engineering is strictly limited worldwide, even though the technology made great leaps before that point and even greater leaps afterwards (though only in one very secure, very small area).

But (extremely!) long comment short: it's mostly just important to include whatever tech you need to tell the story. I get the feeling that you're looking for cool ideas to include--which is great--but you probably don't want to take the "kitchen sink" approach and just throw everything in. Make sure the technology makes sense in your world.
:iconnikitadarkstar:
NikitaDarkstar Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'd just like to point you to this man, who held the record for highest jump altitude and highest speed before Felix Baumgartner broke the speed record. This was in the 1960's so yes, the technology was available, just government owned. [link] :)
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   Writer
Oh wow! I didn't realise anybody would try that sort of stunt without Red Bull sponsoring it. Then again, since it was scientifically useful I guess it makes sense.
NikitaDarkstar Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well the man was a test pilot too, they're not known to be perfectly sane people. But I just find it fascinating to see what we are able to do, and what we were able to do decades ago already. Cause in some areas we really haven't pushed the limit as much as we've just made it safer to try it again.

Either way I can see this being the next step for skydivers, they're already pushing the limits on how low something can be to be jumped of off, so why not start jumping from even higher altitudes? :p
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   Writer
It would be pretty cool to parachute from the ISS. I'm not sure if it's possible, though: regardless of the obvious practical problems, I suspect the amount of equipment involved would technically count as some kind of vehicle. Someday a person might get a world record for falling that distance, but I doubt they'd be considered a parachutist. Not without some kind of really snazzy space suit, at least.
NikitaDarkstar Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I think it's actually to far "up" to be possible to parachute from it, you still need enough gravity to actually fall after all (which, well if it was close enough for that it'd have more pressing issues. :p). But I can see daredevils in the future doing new, crazy, space related things as it becomes cheaper and more "common" (or at least more readily available for the public, daredevils are a special breed of nutcases after all :)).

And really, both Felix (I refuse to spell his last name, it's a pain!) and the guy I linked you too had some pretty fancy space suits and such to survive at those altitudes, so there's nothing wrong with that. :)
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   Writer
Since the ISS is in orbit, perhaps you could start falling by using some sort of jetpack to slow yourself down. You'd leave the station more or less sideways (it would just keep going without you) and drop towards Earth. You could also just propel yourself directly downwards, but I expect that would no longer qualify as falling. Might be a new stunt in itself, though!

The thing I was thinking with the suits is that, unless you had some kind of amazingly strong, heat resistant material (and possibly some kind of oxygen tank), you'd be looking at something more like a landing capsule than a spacesuit. If simply coming down in a box counts as parachuting from the ISS, plenty of astronauts have already done it. :shrug:
NikitaDarkstar Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
*Airtank, you don't want pure oxygen with that kind of heat, it causes violent reactions. :p

But well, by the time something like this was possible for the "average" person we'd most likely have more sophisticated things in orbit than the ISS (since the station itself would need to be accessible to the "average person" too, which the ISS isn't and most likely never will be). But other than that, I agree that new stunts like that could, theoretically, happen in the future if other tech is around to support it and it's cheap enough to be used for purely recreational purposes.

Heck, to be honest, give me a good enough parachute and a good enough space suit and I'd totally jump from something like that!! :D (No, I don't have a death wish, but my survival instincts has been questioned before. :p)
Thank you! also thank you for the tips.
:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
All military forces would have some form of a Heads Up Display to identify targets, monitor relative health, radar, communications, and navigation displays. This can be through glasses, implants, or helmets as I would think.

Weaponwise, I think that lasers are pretty impractical for cost and energy usage for extended combat. I think projectile weaponry will hang around for quite a little while, but magazine sizes, caliber, chemical propellant and numerous other features might get upgraded. Definitely something someone from the 21st Century would recognize as a gun.

Provided that FTL travel has been discovered or not, advanced colonization methods can be used. On Mars, I would suggest that prefabricated villages and towns would be the norm if not a larger city connected by tunnels or such. I don't think domed cities would be all that practical personally speaking.

I expect a larger variety of vehicles than we would have today with a combination of VTOLs, traditional propellers, and wheels. Not sure about hover vehicles though. Up to you for that one.

Medical technology should certainly be advanced greatly. Lifespans should be improved, some diseases should be abolished completely, and genetic screening could prevent deformities or disabilities.

Just remember. While you may expect things to be different, things could be very much the same. My vision of the future is certainly advanced, but still recognizably Human. Go nuts, but don't alienate the reader.
Thank you! I will most certainly do my best to not alienate the reader.
:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Do your best; that's all I ask.
:iconkioukjioy:
kioukjioy Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
I think that imitations of the Lantern Corps rings should be created by then. Or at least prototypes.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist
I'd think technology may be available to allow the control of computers through thought(ie plugging into them and converting the brain's signals into what the computer can understand and vice versa).

Predicting technology that far out isn't easy. A fine example is Babylon 5. Takes place in the future with amazing space travel and weapons technology, yet folk still wait in line for the morning newspapers.
You're right; it is very difficult to predict tech in the future. However, it is a fiction story so it's not a big deal haha.
Thank you for your suggestions!
:iconmunkiic:
MunkiiC Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I used to think hover bikes would be awesome, but u know what would be even more awesome? A hover stroller for my daughter . I don't do sci fi but if I did, I'd drop a hover stroller in it somewhere.
Oh well that's actually a good idea. I shall try that!
:iconmcgraczu:
mcgraczu Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Additional mechanical arms controlled by ones mind, and I mean actual perfectly working things, not prototypes of today.

Iron Man suits, hopefully ._.
Aw I'd love to see Iron Man suits for real. That'd be so sweet.
I also have that idea in mind too! the mechanical arms controlled via mind and such.
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Fake eyes that are camara like, that allow the user to have infered or nightvision. It could also give the user the ability to scan targets to see health, sex, race, if there are any weapons on said targets.
....and the tried and true Tricorders, can never go wrong with star trek.
Ah, thank you ^^
Add a Comment: