Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

What kinds of inventions do you think the year 2157 will have? (I need ideas and you guys can help!)

:iconmidnalovez:
Currently I am developing a novel that revolves around the era of the 22nd century. The exact date is 2157. The main character is a very realistic android full of weaponry. But what I want to know is, what kinds of inventions will there be? I'd think humans will have made it to Mars by then or are going there soon.

You guys are creative, I'd like to know what there could be in the future :D I've been developing this novel for quite some time now.

ideas I currently have:
Telekinesis (weak)
Telepathy (via implant)
Androids
Sentry bots in banks and schools for protection
mechanical terrorists(?)
Genetically modified animals (for police forces, such as super strong dogs)

TL;DR: What do you think 2157's inventions will/might be at that time?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmerrak:
merrak Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist
Having just returned from the year 2157 in my Chronoskimmer 450SL, I think I can speak with some authority on what things are like. Apparently genetic experiments gone awry have produced giant panda bears which roam the Wyoming countryside (I went to Wyoming, which is what people used to call "Texas" after it became "Florida").

Most cities are surrounded by citrus orchards, which tend to keep the pandas at bay. It's not a perfect system. Sometimes the pandas sprout wings and dive into the cities. This happens more often than you might think, so most cities have a network of sirens set up on the street corners. They all play "La Cucaracha". I'll never listen to that song the same way again.

Space travel isn't as common as you'd think. It turns out that just beyond the moon, the rest of space is just painted on some sort of canvas. Efforts to drill through the fabric have proved unsuccessful. There's a giant zipper in the direction of the North Star, but it's caught on a thread.

That's about all I'm allowed to reveal. I'm under contract to not reveal what happened to Philadelphia. If I were you, though, I'd stockpile kazoos.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Underwater cities. One way or another, some cities will be underwater by then.
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I expect us to have all killed eachother by then, so I can't exactly tell you. However, those seem like some realistic guesses, considering the statistics for some of them.
:iconvglory:
Other than the GM animals I think you are being wildly optimistic about the progress that will be made in 44 years.
:iconsmarticleparticle:
SmarticleParticle Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I like the idea of an android, but I would be careful with that idea. According to Michio Kaku, the technological singularity is due at any time, I've even heard one estimate that says 2029. The singularity is basically when machines' intelligence surpasses our own, but what consequences would this have for humans? One idea is that we would merge with machines and upload our conciouses to a mainframe type thing, to avoid being eradicated.

So, having bodies would be redundant. We would be the computers. Then again, I'm thinking of the Matrix, where the machines basically used us for energy, so it could go either way.

Even though they don't know exactly when the singularity will arrive, before 2157 definitely seems like a reasonable guess. Think about how powerful the computers which took Apollo 11 to the moon were; I'd guess they were less powerful than my laptop, and they would have been great big clunky things. Now, an iPhone has a similar amount of power as one of those old 1980s computers which they played Pacman on.

This video will probably explain it better than I can. '^^ [link]
Oh! Hey that's a very amazing idea, thank you so much for sharing this video with me!
Btw I think that guy is a badass haha.
:iconsmarticleparticle:
SmarticleParticle Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yes he is. :iconbadassplz:
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Why not research some cool technology being created now, and try to imagine how it might be more advanced in the future? For instance:

:bulletred: nanobots [link]
:bulletred: programmable DNA [link],
:bulletred: tardigrades/extremeophiles (what if humans could create larger extremophile animals?) [link],
:bulletred: mind-reading machines [link] ,
:bulletred: invisibility [link] ,
:bulletred: robots that can be mind-controlled (even by monkeys!) [link]
:bulletred: a machine that helps people learn faster [link]
:bulletred: a pill that makes people smarter [link]
:bulletred: a pill or device that makes you lose weight without exercising (so many being researched to choose from!)

Think about the world in your story. What dangers are in your society? Overpopulation? Violence? Run out of oil? If that's the case, how might people have tried to create technologies to combat the problems? For instance, if in the future humans run out of oil, maybe more efficient solar technologies are invented. Or if the air is super polluted, maybe people have to wear special gas-masks to go outside.

If your main character is a doctor, research medical technology. If he's a soldier, research military technology. A teacher, research new educational methods. Have fun!
I pretty much have all of those in mind, but not so much the programmable DNA and the pill/device to help people lose weight faster.

I am also quite aware of a lot of those issues that are concerns of today haha.

And thank you for the ideas/suggestions!
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Jan 16, 2013  Student General Artist
No problem!
Add a Comment: