Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Do you space between paragraphs ?

:iconfafenheir:
Fafenheir Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
So I've been torn lately. I have vision problems that occasionally make it difficult for me to see large blocks of text. So to help myself while writing in Word, I use the option to form spaces between paragraphs, and before I upload each chapter to this site, I go through and place those paragraph breaks into the html window. I forgo indentation entirely.

What does everyone here like to see? My dialogue heavy scenes are beginning to take up quite a bit of screen space. It really is irrelevant to me how the chapters are formatted on my user page since the originals on my hard drive are formatted for my viewing ease anyway.

Is formatting really a deal breaker for you guys in regards to whether or not you will read something?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Word always wants to automatically add a doublespace between paragraphs. I remove them all just to spite it. Ain't no word processor telling me what to do.
:iconhewhoflewandfell:
Hewhoflewandfell Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Always use line breaks...it's incorrect formatting technically if you go by professional standards, but honestly...on the internet it makes everything nice and easy to read. Easy reading makes happy readers. Happy readers makes more views. :)
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I prefer just to indent, but if I'm posting it online, I always do the line-break to make it easier for others to read.
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think in the computer age, using a full line break instead of an indent is a better choice. I have perfect vision but I still prefer to do things this way! Besides, reformatting is so easy - just do what you want if you're not working for someone else.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
yes.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yes too.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
we are in consensus!
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It's as `saintartaud said. And yes you have to make the spacing adjustment yourself, but that's not difficult with a fully-featured word processor's search and replace feature. (Replace each paragraph mark with two paragraph marks, then copy-paste into the site's editing window, but don't save changes from your word processor. Search and replace can also search for formatting, which is how I re-add italics and so on for submission.)

Any work you submit professionally should not have spaces between paragraphs, but that's also an easy adjustment to make before printing.)
:iconfafenheir:
Fafenheir Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Ha! This is most certainly not professional- just something for the amusement of people who are tired of standard fantasy stories. I'm writing it on a bet. I just wanted to pick a style of formatting that would be easy to read and not intrusive or obnoxious.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional General Artist
When posting online, you should ideally have a line space between each paragraph.  It tends to make reading onscreen much easier.

For manuscript purposes, it is unnecessary.  I usually write work in standard manuscript formatting, i.e. 12 point Courier with double-line spacing.  It's very easy to parse on-screen and saves me the effort of having to reformat for printing and/or submission.
Add a Comment: