January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

To write, or not to write?

:icondevilsmatrix:
DevilsMatrix Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Writer
I usually try to avoid Cliches... but you know. I'm
tired and injured and bleh. So yeah, don't hate on me.
I have started this story, and wrote and re-written
it for so long, but I have only posted one chapter,
to see if I should even bother with the rest. I was
wondering if I could get some help with it, but I'll
post that in the thumbshare section.

I was just thinking, has anyone else has one of those
stories that they feel is not worth writing, but still
want to continue it? What do you do?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsydnerella:
sydnerella Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013   Writer
I have this problem all the time. I'm changing it though. I do understand the feeling of "this isn't worth writing", and I also see the point others are making in that our time is too valuable to waste.

However, I am trying to change that mindset. I am finishing everything I start now. I find that when I tell myself "this isn't worth writing", it's very rarely an actual case of "worthless" writing. How do I know? Because I've noticed I keep coming back to the same pieces of writing I never finished, starting them in a different way, long after I decided not to continue the piece.

I think it is best to really try to finish everything you start. I think a lot of our own writing that we give up on, we give up on because it is hard to keep creative juices flowing (like when you get started and you feel like what you are writing is almost alive, it is that vivid, but then you get to that inevitable low point where everything starts to peter out) or we are afraid of not being very good at writing, afraid of hurting loved ones, etc. Basically, there is another reason we'd rather not continue a piece, and I'm guessing those problems won't be solved until you actually resolve to finish what you started.

I suppose that's not the case for everyone, but that's my opinion on it. I hope you found it valuable in some way.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Writer
I couldn't count the number of stories I haven't finished because I got half way and had run out of things to say or because, on closer inspection, I was just doing a generally shit job of writing it.

But I don't think of these as "not worth writing" because if they weren't, I would never have started. It only means that I'm not ready to write them and I need some more time. There are stories I will not just finish but likely start all over again when I am a better writer than I am now. That's just how it is.

But if you think you're doing a bad job or that there's nothing to say with a story, then don't write it. Don't force it on without serious thought and massive revision. If you don't like writing it, nobody will like reading it.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you for understanding Thumbshare/monthly crit thread are the right places for actually sharing the work ;p

If I don't think something is worth writing, why would I bother with it at all? I value my time highly.
DevilsMatrix Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Writer
No worries ;)
That is a very logical approach, and probably
very rewarding in the aspect of time saving ;)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol: Logical sounds a lot better than lazy.

Really though, why would you write something you don't think is worth finishing?
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013   Digital Artist
No, usually if I feel a story is not worth writing, it means that I don't want to continue it.

If the story is feeling flat or pointless, but I think it has potential, then I'll fix it up and continue it. I'll make it worth writing.

There's not really much point posting a first chapter of an unfinished story to ask if you should continue it tbh. You should continue it if you want to. If someone says, "no" are you really going to go, ":iconokaymemeplz:" and if they say "yes" are you really going to continue it if you don't want to?
I would continue it reguardless, but if they
said no then I wouldn't bother posting it.
If they said yes, I would consider =]
Thankyou so much for your comment!
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013   Digital Artist
Remember about if you want to book publish it traditionally, don't post up the whole thing for free! [link]
naturally =D I'll make sure I don't
:iconamayaells:
AmayaElls Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Why are you trying to avoid clichés? Clichés have become clichés because people enjoy reading them. Do them well, add your own twist to them and you can have a good story. Avoid them completely and stories tend to be weird and/or boring.

As for me I've never had a story I thought not worth writing. I've had stories I don't think are worth editing, worth polishing for some future publication. But every story is worth writing, I suggest writing it all then deciding, maybe give it to a friend to decide.
Add a Comment: