Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 53

Evil Characters (Discussion)

:iconepiclevelsorcerer:
EpicLevelSorcerer Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Writer
I want to get people's opinions and general ideas on what makes a really evil character, or villain.

Is it their actions, thoughts, what they aspire to do, or is it something else?
Does a damaged past make up for their actions or not?

What makes an evil character? And for that matter what makes them convincing?

I want to know you all on Deviant art think of those evil characters you or other people come up with.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional General Artist
What makes someone truly evil is when they do wrong, but keep doing it anyway. That's a villain, in a nutshell.
:iconshurely:
Shurely Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Strangely, my villainous characters are usually the ones mistakenly perceived as heroes and acting for the greater good. In some books, you have the people who you think are good but turn out to be double-agents and such, accompanied by those who you thought were bad but were the real heroes all along. In my stories, the villains are never really the villains: they are just hugely misunderstood. Heh, I understand that's an overused excuse, but in all honesty, they are. They know what they're doing, they know they are destroying cities and killing people, but they really are doing it for the greater good. In some cases, the populace believes them, but when they don't, they are automatically classified as the villains, and the special forces are sent to stop them "at all costs".

I prefer stories that have villainous heroes than heroic villains.
:iconthe-vibeke:
The-Vibeke Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I base evil characters on evil people in real life that I have known.
:iconliedy:
Liedy Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Those we identify with. Those who challenge thoughts (Smith from Matrix), Those who has a point (Adrian, Watchmen). Those whom we cannot understand (Alien, Alien - Joker, Batman). Those who aren't necessarily evil, as evil, in Kantian terms, implies irrational, and intelligence is an alluring trait in a villain. It can even be as little as merely opposing the protagonist in one form or another. In certain cases like Sauron (LOTR) or Vader (Star Wars) it can be the mere aesthetic and bad intention, but this is extremely hard to pull of and perhaps needs an epic to go along with it. Usually, ambiguity, nuance and complexity hooks me on much more than cruelty for cruelties sake.
:iconskyleap:
Skyleap Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Damaged past doesn't absolve villains of anything, it's no excuse. It just makes them easier to understand and provides a reason for them to do what they do. To make one convincing, they generally start out with good intentions (but didn't see the sign that said 'this way to Hell'), and then they just hit the extreme and it all goes downhill.
:icontotallyuncreativeme:
TotallyUncreativeMe Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Villains are the best characters, because we all see a little more of ourselves in someone who does things wrong. We're more aware of our faults than our more heroic qualities.
When I write, I like to blur the border of good/bad. The heroes should have a dark side if they're to be believable.
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
"Villains are the best characters, because we all see a little more of ourselves in someone who does things wrong."
Truer words have never been spoken. I agree one hundred percent.
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Look at the Eternal Champion series by Michael Moorcock. His main character for the broadest part of the series, Elric, is a villain. Probably the best in any book I've had the privilege to read.
:icontheawesomefaerie:
TheAwesomeFaerie Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   Traditional Artist
Evil people are often heroes in their own mind. They are doing horrible things, but to them, in their warped world view, it's perfectly acceptable for the greater good, or for their own well being, or maybe they simply lack a moral compass.
:iconluinelle:
luinelle Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Filmographer
Evil makes me think of people who do bad things and enjoying doing them. Like they know what they're doing is harming others yet they do it anyways. They could also be misguided cos my evil character is sorta misguided. He was promised something if he performed cruel acts... of course, this character has a bit of a mental problem as well...
Add a Comment: