Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Need help deciding...

:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'm working on a graphic novel and there is a pivotal moment in the story and I can't decide how to go about it:

The main character has received ghost powers from an old mask and he cool with it, but he follows a grim reaper who tells him he could be useful if he beats him to his next job. The main character arrives at the train station and sees a grief-stricken woman about to step in front of an oncoming train.

I can't decide if I should have him:
A) Save the woman
B) Not get there in time

Your thoughts? Help is appreciated

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Go for A, so you can find out what the reaper has in mind. You also get the bonus of a supporting character (the woman) who might react to being saved in a way that makes your character's life interesting, and perhaps not for the better.
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'll keep that in mind, thanks
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
It seems to me that not getting there on time is a cop out as the character has no decision to make and no responsibility for the consequences.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Writer
I can see why you might want some feedback on this particular issue but, as well as it ultimately being your decision, there's not enough for us to go on. Saving the woman would be dramatic. Failing to save her would also be dramatic. But what's really important is what happens next. How does the woman's fate affect the story? Unless you can explain the significance of these two possible outcomes, nobody will be able to say anything either way. :shrug:
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Writer
Like `saintartaud said, both hold the power to make your story very different from one another. It depends how YOU want your story to go. Ask yourself, what would make a better story out of those options and if YOU were the reader, what would YOU PERSONALLY enjoy reading. Just work out both scenarios in your head/on paper and see which you think is more appropriate to your story and what you want.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
If it's really a pivotal moment, then you really ought to be the one making the decision. Why ever would you want a bunch of strangers to be deciding how your entire story should be shaped?
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist
If all else fails, change the POV to second person and write

If you save the woman, turn to Page 31.
If you do not make it in time, turn to Page 42.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
Play out each scenario in your head, see which one is more interesting to you.  Each option holds the potential for a very different story, so ultimately it's just a matter of what story you want to tell.
:iconarrayofstars:
ArrayOfStars Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
It depends on how you want to end the story. And whether the story ends with him saving the woman.

Of course, if I was writing the story I'd go with something unexpected.
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
The story sorta begins after this event... I'll keep the "unexpected" in mind though.
Add a Comment: