Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

A could use some help with stucture and other things.

:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
So I want to write my second novella but I want to make it have a good story. Now thing is I want to know if it's a good to write it out of order and just edit it all together, or make write it all in order. Also, I've been mapping out history of each location and each character.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Guys, I love my avi.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
This isn't really a structure question. Structure is about what the finished story looks like. This is about method. And there is no one answer. If it works for you, do it. If no, do something else.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   Writer
Personally, I like to do things from start to finish because otherwise I'm liable to just write the interesting bits and then get stuck joining them together. I also find that starting at the beginning and writing until the end helps because, that way, you have to at least have a plausible way of moving the story from one scene to the next: A, B, C, D, E. You don't want to find that you've written an awesome scene, but trying to include it makes your story go A, B, C, :kitty:, E.

But I believe there are people who can write stories out of order, and they may get good results. I imagine that having a really solid plan helps them immensely, but can't speak from experience on that one. Do what works for you: if one doesn't go well, you can always try the other. By all means find out what other writers are doing, though: it couldn't hurt. :-)
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
Whatever works.  There is no rule that says you have to write everything in order.  If it's easier for you to finish parts that way and you can manage to stitch it all together, go for it.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Writer
There's no right or wrong way for how to do things. I know writers who write scenes out of order and put them together when they're done and writers who write everything in order from start to finish. Everyone has their own personal method to the process that they're comfortable with, so my only suggestion can be to do what's most comfortable for you.
I'm more comfortable with writing out of order, I'll get a spark where I see a scene that I like so I'll just write it.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Writer
That's probably the best way for you to work then when it comes to structure ;)
Add a Comment: