Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Risks of uploading?

:icont-snyman:
T-Snyman Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Hey everybody! I realize that this might be a silly question, but I just want to make sure if there are any risks to uploading my short stories to DeviantArt. I have read the T&Cs but I must confess that I'm slightly more confused after doing so. The reason I want to upload my short stories is that I want to recieve some criticism from people who couldn't care less about my feelings. So far the only people who have commented on my writing is friends and family, and if they were to be believed, I am apparantly the best writer in the world, so I'm guessing that I need some criticism from people who don't actually know me. So if I can be sure that there are no risks of uploading my work here, and that I would still be able to publish my work if I so choose, I would love to hear what my fellow Deviants have to say about it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvuuran:
Vuuran Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You're stories are bad and you should feel bad! Did that help a bit? Anyway you could also try uploading them on other websites like wattpad.com. I did so myself.
T-Snyman Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
It did somewhat help my self-esteem by kicking it into the hole over which it was leaning so precariously, but they're better than whatever the average stone would produce in its lifetime, that much must be said. Well, I've now decided not to upload most of them at all, maybe one or two if I feel like it.
:iconvuuran:
Vuuran Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well I had to do something about that damn self-esteem, always taunting me with it's very existance! But then again, publish it anyway and suckle on the teats of admiration.
T-Snyman Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
That sounds so simple that I can almost not believe that I have not done it yet.
T-Snyman Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Thank you all for the responses. So what I think I should do, based on what you're all basically saying, is I should rather not upload the entire piece if I plan to have it published later, instead I should upload a portion of a story, a shortened version maybe. Or I could upload an entire story that I believe reflects my abilities, at the risk that I may not be able to publish it later, but then I could apply the criticism of that story to my others.
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
As far as I heard your submissions here are time-stamped, so in case someone plagiarizes your work you can always prove that you have uploaded it first.
Maybe don't upload *all* your work, but only a selection of your short stories. Or only excerpts in case of a novel. So people who like your work still will have a reason to buy it (I think this is the main issues publishers are having with stories already published in the web: why pay for something, when you can have it for free?) The constructive criticism you hopefully will get you still can apply to the parts you don't show here.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Jan 6, 2013  Professional Writer
Like basically everyone above has said, whatever you upload you still hold full copyright over. However, also like others were saying, publishers don't like to publish works that are already published most of the time (there are a select few that will). They want first-publishing rights. When you upload work to dA, it's considered "publishing" it and therefore, since it's available "free" to the internet, publishers won't publish it.

However, you can make it so that your work is seen ONLY on dA (which is good if you don't want people being able to read your work if they don't have an account), and you can always take your work down after you get the feedback you need. DO remember, though, that everything you upload keeps a record on the internet, so it will take a long time to (if you're lucky) scrub the presence of your work clean. (A friend of mine is a comic writer here and took down the last few pages when he was looking to pitch it, and even after it was removed, the story was still able to be found via google).
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
As far as I'm aware, anything you upload to DeviantART you still retain copyright over. However, personally I don't upload anything online that I might one day want to publish anywhere, because I've heard it seriously damages the chances of it being published, so you might want to bear that in mind when choosing what to put here =)
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Jan 6, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Here's a very helpful article from #projecteducate that should help you here :)

Show Images

:iconmondu:
As for copyright, its still fully yours, but I've heard that publishers won't touch anything that has been uploaded on the internet.
Add a Comment: