Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 59

JanNoWriMo

:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
Okay. I'm starting a movement. Right here. And I'm hoping that everyone who joins can check in on this thread throughout the month.

This year I totally bombed NaNoWriMo. I also had an epic fail on CampNaNoWriMo in 2011. And I have this one manuscript that I started for CampNaNo in June that I abanded for a new project that I wrote in August. Point being: Unfinished NaNo drafts -- I has them.

AND SO DO YOU.

JanNoWriMo is a month-long challenge to finish that draft you NaNoFailed. Whether you reached 50k and stopped but still had more plot, or if you only got 15k in, or if you merely outlined and then got distracted by a shiny thing...this movement is for you.

If you want to join, but are some kind of superwinner, use the month to revise your manuscript. Print it out. Mark it up. Input changes! Maybe even find someone to exchange critique with in Feburary. Let's do this.

So, who's in?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Writer
Ten days left, kids. How's the awesome in here? It doesn't look quite like it's over-flowing, yet.

I hope you guys are rocking it.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Writer
Oh, lord. I'm so behind. I got to this point where I realized the only way to do this is to cut a POV character and rewrite all her chapters from a different POV...so I could finish a draft by the end of the month, but the last third of the book would be so different from the start it would be more like draft 0.5 than draft 1. SIGH. Thanks ^neurotype for pointing this out. At least I'm further ahead than I was!
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Writer
Yes, I have been in similar circumstances. Fortunately I only ended up with small rewrites needed. You have my sympathies on that task.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Writer
Thanks, bro. :)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have 200 more pages to edit.
SPANK ME. :iconbangkillplz:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Writer
I'm in it deep, too. I have to rewrite this damn thing.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
HALP
:iconluinelle:
luinelle Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Filmographer
I am in the process of finishing my NaNo novel. Been writing for 2 months straight lol...
:iconghostinthepines:
GhostInThePines Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I've really stuck to my schedule... Chapter 20 will be finished by next weekend. Unfortunately, I don't think the plot is going to wrap up nicely at that point, so I'm going to have to add another chapter or two. But that's okay, I guess. At least the end is in sight! Once I get to editing, I'll probably be back to 20 chapters I originally anticipated.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Writer
Woo! I'm a bit behind, but I think I'll get there.
:iconapocalypticangel4792:
ApocalypticAngel4792 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Writer
I'd love to try this, but I'm getting used to a new schedule at college, so I doubt I'll be able to. NaNo 2012 went horribly for me because of school (it drained my creative energy), and I'd love to sort of redeem myself, but I doubt I'll have the time.

On a positive note, I did start rewriting an old piece a few days ago. Maybe I can lightly challenge myself to rewrite at least half of it by the end of the month, but we'll see what happens. I'll try to be positive, like so many others are being, but we'll have to see how school treats me. It can be a little mean sometimes, but I'll get through.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Writer
DEFINITELY challenge yourself do do this. You have til the end of the month, so just kind of give yourself time every day to work on it. :)
:iconapocalypticangel4792:
ApocalypticAngel4792 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Writer
Currently I'm using every day to get on top of my reading for school:faint: Something tells me I'll be a weekend warrior, using those 3 days (I get Fridays off too) to live life to the fullest. Hopefully it'll be long enough^^
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Writer
Checking in!  How is everyone doing? 

I've been reading the first half of my WIP (from Camp NaNo July 2011...gah) aloud to myself.  It's been really helpful, to catch lines that don't make sense, of course, but also in slowing me down and really absorbing the plot.  When I get to the end of my read aloud, I'll start writing the rest.

I don't usually work this way, but when you leave an unfinished draft for this long...gah.  You have to go back and look at what you've already got down.  Plus, I think I've significantly improved as a writer since I started writing this book.  So it's good to tweak a few things as I go.  But as soon as I get to that first blank page, I'm back to the fast-draft method!
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Writer
I'm finding myself editing more than actually getting the writing done :ohnoes: At least I'm being productive, though ^^;
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
Love and support here, but for me NaNo was like "I'll create a thing and then destroy it and then write feelings words and then never have to look at it again!" Which is not technically true because my novel/novella was an expanded short story, and I'm committed to re-writing it again in short story form. It was a short story idea at its heart, I think, not a novel.

Which means I really don't have a novel-length piece I can work on with you guys, but I'll be writing all the same :)
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Filmographer
Too bad none of my current projects are prose. All scripts right now. =( Good luck though peeps.
:icondrippingwords:
DrippingWords Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Writer
I'll try. I don't know how busy I'm going to be, though.
:iconofonesoul:
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Heck yeah, I'm in! :hooray:

Slowed down at 30,000 words and ended up with crap. ^^;

But I shall rise from crap & be a shitty phoenix! :dummy:
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Curse BSc circumstance of holiday practicals:stare: otherwise I'd be in:dummy:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Writer
Plan to do it another month! SET GOALS!
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I have. even with the practicals I'm doing a chapter in whatever time i can find before the end of the month. yes, its only a chapter but its something
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
Not in! Woo!

But, seriously, I fully support this notion. For folks who like the NaNoWriMo thing, I think this is an excellent follow up and the perfect distance (in time) from November to begin editing those hasteful first drafts.

(Also, you mean you bombed NaNoWriMo LAST year)
LAST YEAR WHATEVER.

And thanks for having our back!
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
Rock it out, people! I want to see this thread overflowing with awesome by February.
YOU AND ME BOTH!
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I just started a novel. . . why not!? I am in.
:iconglowstck:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
I'm in!!!
:iconghostinthepines:
GhostInThePines Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
This is perfect! My self-imposed writing schedule has me set to finish my current novel draft around the 19th of January. Then I was going to take a week or two to work on story art before starting rewrites. Going three months without painting has caused me to go a little stir-crazy at the moment, and I'd like to clear my mind a bit before tackling some serious editing.

I wouldn't mind finding a critique partner to start working with in Feb. with the understanding that there is quite a bit of serious editing that I already plan to do on this draft. There were a number of areas where I just pushed through a section of description or dialogue simply because I needed to move on to the next scene in order to make any real progress.
Hopefully you can find someone in this thread or elsewhere on dA to help you!
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm in :nod:

I still got some more to write, even though I did manage to get to 50K this year.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
TOTES IN.

Like I've said before, the plot is a wreck.
WRECK IT MORE.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
NO I'M TRYING TO MAKE IT A NARRATIVE STAHP

high concept wooooo
HIGHEST CONCEPT EVER.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
SO HIGH
:iconshadowedacolyte:
ShadowedAcolyte Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Hrm. I've certainly got some bits and pieces around, as well as a honking pile of Needs Editing Like I Need Oxygen. I like this plan.

However, I'm a bit daunted by the idea of "let's swap manuscripts". I don't want to sit down and read someone else's NaNoWriMonster anymore than I want anyone seeing the hastily-ended, fridge-logic-heavy travesty I have now.
I meant after it's finished up/revised.
:iconjames--steele:
James--Steele Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well, I don't know about JanNoWriMo, but I'll do my own FebNoWriMo with a new draft :la: (I won NaNoWriMo 2012)
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
As noted in chat, I don't have a proper Nano draft, but I do have a rough draft I need to finish and could probably have it finished in a month with some extra push.  ;)
YES. Join us! We will MAKE you finish!
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
:hooray:
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I will aim for finishing the rough draft before February! :dummy: I just might make it~
Huzzah!
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Writer
Hey, I'm in as long as you'll take me and my already partially revised manuscript! I'm hoping to get the first round of editing done pretty quickly, so this could be a great boost.

If there are any other revisers out there, fancy swapping manuscripts at some point? Maybe near the end of the month? I'm hoping to take advantage of Createspace's five free novels (and hopefully go ahead and self-publish at that point), so I'm keen to get mine as polished as possible as quickly as possible. Anybody else in the same situation?
Woo!

I'd advice hiring a pro editor before sending to CreateSpace, after revising with a critique partner. My two cents there!
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   Writer
I would love to get this thing professionally edited, but I can't afford it. :-( Also, I'd probably want to get an all-over edit (taking into account plot/structure and whatnot) rather than just a professional proofread, which I understand is prohibitively expensive for independent authors.

I will, however, do several rounds of proofreading myself before finally getting it printed. ^^; I know it's not a substitute for professional proofreading, but it's the closest I can get.
Well, might be worth saving up for, you know? You want to put your best work out there.
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   Writer
I'd have to save up for quite a long time. Some quick Googling indicates that the suggested minimum rate for a freelance editor is 20-30 pounds per hour, depending on whether you're looking for just proofreading or more substantial editing [link] . The same site suggests that, as a very rough guide, a proofreader might get through 3,000 words per hour. My book is just over 50,000 words long.

As a loose estimate, I'd have to spend a little more than 300 pounds for proofreading, and more like 500 for substantial editing. It could be more. While I want to put my best work out there, that's a serious investment even if all I want to do is put out a really well-polished book. It becomes even less economical when you consider how much it would take for that book to ever earn money. Let's say I sell the book for 5 pounds--a much higher price than I expect to set--and for some reason I get 100% of every sale (which is never going to happen). The first sixty books would almost make up the cost of proofreading. The first hundred would cover a more thorough edit.

Since about 80% of books sell fewer than 100 copies, I'd count myself lucky just to break even. And this isn't even taking into account that my convenient "let's say I make five pounds from every book" maths was insanely unrealistic to begin with. Even if getting a professional editor was the absolute single best thing I could do to improve my work (and actually, it might be), it's simply not practical to invest in it at this stage. :shrug:
Well, that's my two cents. I know a few people who do freelance work. I always recommend Rhonda Helms, because I loved working with her as an author. And there's also Heather Howland, though I'm not sure if she's taking freelance anymore. You should check out AbsoluteWrite.com's forums...there might be more ads there.
Add a Comment: