Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 81

Where does the inspiration for your characters come from?

:iconglowstck:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Writer
Where does that inspiration come from for you? For me I'd say half of my characters are based off of my friends the other half is from pictures I see where I put my own little spin on it. Let me know I'm quite intrigued as to where everyone else's characters come from.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondesert-druid:
desert-druid Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sometimes people I know, sometimes people I've met/talked to briefly, sometimes from dreams, and sometimes... just a simple literary device.
:icon3lano:
3lano Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Aw man. I always love questions like this! Cx I'm boring though, so whatever.

Whenever I think of making a character, it's like I've been trying to remember someone I knew a long time ago. I try to think of things they would do, or foods they like, or of memories I have from somewhere. Or, if I like a character from some story, but one aspect of theirs bothers me, I always tweak it, and then apply that personality to some other character I've thought of somewhere. Most of the time, though, I just decide to throw things in the mixing pot, and then pick out everything I don't like. That's really all I do, anyways...
:iconimaginative-lioness:
imaginative-lioness Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I am inspired by characters from novels, television shows and movies, especially with character development and individual characteristics.
:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Anywhere, everywhere. Imagination, anime, real life, other books...list goes on and on.

For my most recent story, the idea itself started with my main character. I was getting back into drawing and she popped onto the paper randomly. Whenever I tried to draw another person, she was there. I tried to draw items (ice cream, umbrella, bridge, etc) but she still came out of my head and onto paper (eating the ice cream, using the umbrella, dancing on a bridge, etc).
So I soon got curious about who she was. Over a week I learned more about her and eventually, her name. She introduced me to two more characters while I introduced her to two of mine. And thus a story started to form.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
All over the place.
:iconsnowchime:
snowchime Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Writer
I don't know. Every time I try and base a character off a popular one (like the characters from FF13, which I actually did try once), that character just...fails. Badly. It's only worked ONCE for me.

I guess I get random thoughts all the time, I write them down, and sometimes those stories have people I like. So I talk to these people, create adventures with them in my head.

I try and not realize what I'm doing as I'm doing it. It's a weird balance, and I fail most of the time, but when I get it right... *heavenly chorus sings*
:icondreamworld88:
Dreamworld88 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Writer
Most of my characters have one of my characteristics. One character has my shyness, another one has my laziness. Their other characteristics are usually different.
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Writer
Real life events and shows that I thoroughly enjoy(ed).
:iconluinelle:
luinelle Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Filmographer
Some of my characters take after me personality-wise, some the opposite, some based off people I know, some based off of characters I like, or a picture I like :love:
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Since I have many contradicting aspects to my personality, it's very easy to base characters on myself and still make them different from each other. Generally speaking I tailor them to situations where I think they can work best.
Add a Comment: