Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 81

Where does the inspiration for your characters come from?

:iconglowstck:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Writer
Where does that inspiration come from for you? For me I'd say half of my characters are based off of my friends the other half is from pictures I see where I put my own little spin on it. Let me know I'm quite intrigued as to where everyone else's characters come from.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondesert-druid:
desert-druid Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sometimes people I know, sometimes people I've met/talked to briefly, sometimes from dreams, and sometimes... just a simple literary device.
:icon3lano:
3lano Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Aw man. I always love questions like this! Cx I'm boring though, so whatever.

Whenever I think of making a character, it's like I've been trying to remember someone I knew a long time ago. I try to think of things they would do, or foods they like, or of memories I have from somewhere. Or, if I like a character from some story, but one aspect of theirs bothers me, I always tweak it, and then apply that personality to some other character I've thought of somewhere. Most of the time, though, I just decide to throw things in the mixing pot, and then pick out everything I don't like. That's really all I do, anyways...
:iconimaginative-lioness:
imaginative-lioness Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I am inspired by characters from novels, television shows and movies, especially with character development and individual characteristics.
:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Anywhere, everywhere. Imagination, anime, real life, other books...list goes on and on.

For my most recent story, the idea itself started with my main character. I was getting back into drawing and she popped onto the paper randomly. Whenever I tried to draw another person, she was there. I tried to draw items (ice cream, umbrella, bridge, etc) but she still came out of my head and onto paper (eating the ice cream, using the umbrella, dancing on a bridge, etc).
So I soon got curious about who she was. Over a week I learned more about her and eventually, her name. She introduced me to two more characters while I introduced her to two of mine. And thus a story started to form.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
All over the place.
:iconsnowchime:
snowchime Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Writer
I don't know. Every time I try and base a character off a popular one (like the characters from FF13, which I actually did try once), that character just...fails. Badly. It's only worked ONCE for me.

I guess I get random thoughts all the time, I write them down, and sometimes those stories have people I like. So I talk to these people, create adventures with them in my head.

I try and not realize what I'm doing as I'm doing it. It's a weird balance, and I fail most of the time, but when I get it right... *heavenly chorus sings*
:icondreamworld88:
Dreamworld88 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Writer
Most of my characters have one of my characteristics. One character has my shyness, another one has my laziness. Their other characteristics are usually different.
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
Real life events and shows that I thoroughly enjoy(ed).
:iconluinelle:
luinelle Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Filmographer
Some of my characters take after me personality-wise, some the opposite, some based off people I know, some based off of characters I like, or a picture I like :love:
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Since I have many contradicting aspects to my personality, it's very easy to base characters on myself and still make them different from each other. Generally speaking I tailor them to situations where I think they can work best.
:iconbenkeart:
BenkeArt Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Well... Always I write I create my characters using parts of my personality, projecting things that I would like to do or to be.
:iconb-nicolet:
b-nicoleT Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Writer
My characters come from people I know. Almost all of mine are based on friends or teachers.
Glowstck Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Writer
Same here all Almost all of mine are my friends and Teachers
:iconskyleap:
Skyleap Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Hmm...my characters are either a representation of my subconscious or based off of the personalities of my friends or people I have seen, even only in passing. My dreaming mind does most of the plotwork, so I dunno where it's pulling the characters from, really.
:iconshadowofdarkandlite:
ShadowOfDarkAndLite Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
My emotions and how I was treated by others my age when I was younger.
:iconttfnjinx:
TTFNJinx Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Some come from the people around me mixed with my imagination. Ive gotten ideas just from every where to the things I see too what I smell.
:iconblessedboydragon:
blessedboydragon Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Every where :D
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
most of my characters are a rehash of ones i made when I was little, the rest are based off of friends, people I don't like and others are caricatures or criticisms of ideas or conventional wisdom.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A lot of my characters were inspired by minor characters in published books or movies, who I was really interested in, and imagined what they'd do if they had a bigger role.
:iconwheezergirl:
wheezergirl Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Anytime, anywhere. The story usually comes first, then the characters. But music is a huge character developer for me.
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Stories, ideas, feelings, narrative concepts, anything.

If the characters have a lot of significance, and maybe aren't the main character, then I'll name them after a character in another story or in mythology (things that aren't copyrighted of course) to relate them to a certain set of ideas.
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'll throw some random people into a plot I thought of, and see how they react. Eventually their personalities come to light just by being in that situation.

Basically, the plot inspires my characters.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
Inspiration comes from anywhere for me.

I design characters around aiding the plot line and mainly use them as symbolism for moral lessons. Besides that, everything else comes and I augment ideas until I feel the are decent enough to be apart of a story. Very odd, I believe - but effective for myself.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   Writer
The "Characters need to work with the plot" answers are spot on, but I sort of feel like that's a given. A villain could be in it for the money or simply misled, and either one of those options could work with the plot, so there is some freedom to build characters outside of the basic details the plot demands.

Personally, I don't think I'm "inspired" so much as think of a situation or combination of characteristics that I believe would be interesting. For example, one of my characters is a genetically engineered bodyguard who's been conditioned to protect one specific person. To begin with, she follows the fairly rigid rules she's been given. However, she's gradually forced to make more of her own decisions as she realises that following her original instructions to the letter would be disastrous in some situations. The result is a character who wants to do what should logically be the best thing, but finds this often feels wrong.

:shrug: There's more to the character, but I think that particular detail is the most important thing. Ordinarily, a character would more likely be tempted to do the wrong thing for practical reasons (money, their own safety, etc.), so having someone whose own sense of morality was their biggest flaw seemed interesting to me. It also seemed like a neat twist on those Spock characters who ordinarily value logic over emotion.
:iconbetweenskill:
BetweenSkill Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
Random tiredness at 3 in the morning before school is pretty much where most of my stuff comes from. Probably explains a lot :D
:iconsilvertidalwave:
SilverTidalWave Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
Usually mine are based off of the plot, or maybe a certain way I already wanted the character to be before even starting the story. I sometimes add in things that are like me, (e.g maybe the character is shy, or a bookworm), sometimes I'll get inspiration from other people I know, or maybe sometimes how they look determines what kind of personality they have.
:icon0anime0lover0:
0Anime0Lover0 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
My inspiration comes from a mix of what's going on in my life, my dreams, and other literature, tv, manga or other forms of art.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
My characters are based off of my plot, like many others have said. They are created to fill the positions needed to make the plot work. As for their design and whatnot (how I see them), that comes more I suppose from their personalities and names and what I think of when those traits are mashed together... if that makes the slightest bit of sense.
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
From all the stuff I ever liked ... makes my main inspiration source list a long one. :lol:
:iconwolfos96:
wolfos96 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I just Write the story and the character is just some average joe. I don't spend much time in character development, which is probably a bad idea.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's better than having a Mary Sue, though.
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
my characters are mostly based on aspects of the human mind
:iconalansteenhouwer:
AlanSteenhouwer Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
History... and anything that fits the theme, and appears on dA.
:icontales-of-haven:
Tales-of-Haven Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Either whatever would make my plot work, or people that I would want to meet in real life.~
I never thought of it that way..I'd like to meet my main character, who knows maybe I will
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
People I know, and off of cartoon and video game characters that I like. :3
That's good how do you create your scenes?
In my writing, or in my drawings? I fail at writing so I probablu couldn't tell you.
well then in your drawings
Hmm... I just try to imagine on how my characters would act and react to certain issues. =P
That is a good way to look at it...I'm obviously not putting in enough to my characters
Yeah... but at least you have the motivation to write! :D I love writing, but I hate reading so it kinda affects the way I write. :C
I hate reading too!!!!! I can't stand it...
(1 Reply)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Characters are designed to fit the plot I have in mind, with consideration for the relationships they're supposed to have with other characters. There's no particular inspiration required.

For minor characters I begin with broad types and narrow them down as required.
Very interesting...your style seems different than most what kind of genre do you write?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I think my method is similar to most, just not the same as most of the answers you've received so far. Once in a great while there might be some specific inspiration, but what I do much more often is model a character on someone specific, or an amalgam of real people, based on what the story needs.

Genre doesn't have anything to do with it, I think, but I write mostly fantasy.
I see interesting I learn something new everyday
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I make the plot and backstory, and base their personalities off that.
hmmm...interesting personalities that go with the plot...I like it
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:dummy:
Add a Comment: