Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

This is the last thing I'm gonna leave you with for a year

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Writer
This article linked below has everything that regulars have been telling the new writers here for a long time.

[link]

Stop acting like it doesn't apply to you.

i won't be back to this forum until 2014 so keep that in mind when responding.

if this gets locked because it doesn't foster communication other than butthurt whining, i understand. but a lot of you don't read my journals and you are the ones who need this the most. you constantly seem to think the regs are trying to "hurt you". you couldn't be more wrong.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have all of those down except for the "finish your stories" bit and the "write wherever you are." I SERIOUSLY need to work on those.

Thanks for the link dude. See you in a year!
:iconbridgeheadcomic:
BridgeheadComic Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
A very good link. The one I'm probably guilty of not meeting at the moment is reading more.

Somehow I just fell out of touch with keeping my nose in a book as often as I keep a pen in my hand (or my fingers on the keys...). Thankfully I've got piles of things waiting for me now, and this article has given new motivation to start turning pages.
:iconkinola14:
Kinola14 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
All the things in that article seem to apply to me.

Successful Fiction Writers Write on a Regular Basis - I actually carry around big library books, no matter where I go (there are a few exceptions).

Successful Fiction Writers Write No Matter Where They Are - I just thought up a story idea on New Year's, while at a relative's house.

Successful Fiction Writers Finish Their Stories - ...uh, actually, this one doesn't really apply to me. I rarely finish writing a story, and when I do, it seems half-assed to me.

Successful Fiction Writers Edit Their Stories - eh...sometimes...

Successful Fiction Writers Have Thick Skin I've only presented short stories to English teachers. I'm pretty OK with how they review it, because I often get good grades on it.

Successful Fiction Writers are Passionate - Yeah...
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
The English teacher who taught me expository writing used to read essays aloud in class and mercilessly mock poor writing in front of everyone, even if you otherwise got good grades.

So it's possible for your English teachers to be a whole lot more helpful than they have been, when it comes to developing a thick skin.
:iconagmeade:
AGMeade Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Writer
Awesome that you're taking your work so seriously, but I'm not sure what carrying library books around has to do with writing on a regular basis... Is there any particular reason you don't finish or edit your stories? I'd imagine finishing and polishing would feel pretty nice from time to time.
:iconofonesoul:
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Thanks so much for sharing! :iconrubcheeksplz:

This -------> "Successful Fiction Writers Finish Their Stories"

... is what I need to do. :iconfacepalmplz:
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
here's what I think is happening: people are a little too free about calling themselves 'writers'.

People doodle in the middle of class or meetings, doesn't make 'em 'artists'. You spend all your free time reading science books, it doesn't make you a 'scientist' and humming music doesn't make you a 'singer.'

So why does emotional free writing (or w/e) suddenly make someone a 'writer'? You don't care about refining it as a craft, you only care about it as a stress release. Accept that and don't try to be anything else.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
:thumbsup:

I've really got to work on the writing every day bit, myself.  See you on the flipside!
:iconmalintra-shadowmoon:
Malintra-Shadowmoon Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have carefully read your link concerning what makes a good writer and have to agree in all points except of one. "A writer needs to have a thick skin" - Well, I have to admit that I have not at all, but I am a survivor and that is why I never give up. When I fall I will quickly stand up like a bouncing ball :D But I agree with being a good reader is the basics to writing. I started reading at 5/6 around, children books. Most of them I learned by heart and later made people belief I could read by recitating the words out of my heart. A started writing short stories with 10 around, just children fantasy short stories like "The Blue Cat from Mars"... things like that. I adored history and languages at school and liked to write compositions and essais just I had such a fun with. Teachers were impressed so I had to read them in front of class. Thus was the first opportunity I got to get used to talking in front of a greater audience. Today it is somewhat easy to recitate my poems in front of a great hall without fear. Exercise will form the master and as life is continual learning you will never learn out. That does not only apply to writing but to everything you are doing in your life. You must know how to distinguish knowledge and wisdom as there is a great difference between the two. Knowledge is theory and wisdom is transformation of your knowledge into practice. You can know everything in the whole world without being wise ;) That also applies to writing. What you read to have to try to write for yourself. And what you write, you will have to try to publish it. But I would say those are not only regulations for writers - rather rules for life as well.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Writer
Well said.
Add a Comment: