Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Writing a book - steps

:icontoxicsaliva:
ToxicSaliva Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
I'm not planning on writing anything or becoming the next J. K. Rowling, but, I was just wondering . . .
What are your steps when it comes to writing a book?

Do you start with the title? Or the characters? Or the setting? Or the plot . . . ?

Also, how do you come up with a title? Does it just pop in your head? Or do you find a memorable line in the writing and want to use it?

It all depends for me. Sometimes I say "Wow, that sounds like a great title! I want to make something of it" or, I make up a really amazing character which I want to write about, or, I get inspired from watching a movie or reading another book and make up a unique plot.

;w; What about you?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
Having a story that fits about novel length, I would guess.
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I just wrote my first book (not published yet, but hopefully will be) and learned that you really should not just start writing blindly. :lmao:

The first thing I do is get the basic story in my head, then turn it into a plot outline. You may remember the plot outline from English class, but if you don't: [link]

After that, I start listing chapters and what happens in each. Usually there are one major event that happens in the chapter, and maybe two or three small events to fill space.

After that, when it's a good day (aka when I don't have a headache) I start writing. My niece also gave me a good tip: Keep two notebooks. One for writing the story in chronological order, and another to write scenes when they come to you.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
1. I am getting old and I cannot read your tiny tiny type PLEASE STAHP.

2.  The process is different for every author.  I sometimes come up with a title before I write, only so that I can have a decent filename, but my agent/editor/whoever usually will make me change it.  So don't get too attached to your titles!  I usually do some basic planning before I start writing, and I think the biggest thing for me is character motivation.  What does my character want, what's in her way, and how will she overcome it?  Once I have that down, I can figure out stuff like setting, secondary characters, etc.
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I only write short-storys, but I hope that counts too ^^

I normaly start with a rough idea for the setting and the plot.
After that I start researching, for the story. While doing that you normaly get first ideas of your characters.
For me the titel comes quite late, sometimes the story gets a title when I'm already nearly finished writing

hope it helped
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I honestly cannot see this.
:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Writer
Can I suggest if you want people to read your posts, you don't put it in minute writing? I can't read that.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'd answer but your text is too small to bother reading.
ToxicSaliva Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
Well then. xD
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Please don't write in subscript.

Really.
ToxicSaliva Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
I AM SORRY. .n.

*offers you an apology cookie*
Add a Comment: