Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 125

Lit. Resolutions

:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Writer
Since 2013 is upon us, I'm curious as to what everyone is planning for the new year (literature-wise)!

Perhaps it's getting back to writing more in general, participating in more contests here on dA, reading more, or even submitting to publications, etc. Did you have any of these plans last year and fulfill them?

What are your hopeful plans or what you're looking forward to when it comes to literature this coming year?

(And happy New Year to everyone!)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwolfos96:
wolfos96 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I want to start writing more short stories, and maybe try writing a chaptered story.
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Writer
Sounds like a great plan! Good luck!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I want to write a children's story about retired robots this year, and I want to read more.
Sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck with both :D
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
I'm going to enter two IRL short story competitions. :la: I've already got some done for the first one.
Yay! :la: Good luck to you!

I need to start looking for more competitions, as well. I used to be so on top of entering and the last few years I've just been lazy.
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This year, my resolution is to write ALL the things! :iconallthethingsplz:

No, but seriously. I've made up stories in my head for as long as I could remember, and every now and then I'd write maybe the first chapter of one up. I've only seriously decided to write a few months ago, when I decided I'd finally jot down a story that's been bugging me for about seven years. It's now almost 30,000 words long.

I've decided that if this little idea in my brain could get that long, (I know it's not novel length, but it's something) what could my other ideas be like? So I'm writing out some of the bigger stories that have stuck in my brain through the months and years.
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
Yay! :la:

Best of luck to you, this year! Seems like a big project but it will definitely be fulfilling if you achieve your goal!
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It'll certainly keep me busy, at the very least. :lmao: Thank you!
:iconnightwind-dragon:
Nightwind-Dragon Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
By the end of the year, I hope to have something published. Even if it's full of drabbles and only about two really short stories...
If not that: Then flood my watchers with those same drabbles and short short stories. XD
But really, I want to try and do a drabble a day, even if I don't submit them to DA until a month later. >.>
Best of luck! Have you got any publishers in mind that you want to go for yet?
Nightwind-Dragon Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I found one at the Miami International Bookfair. A small, local publisher. I might go to her.
Small presses are fun to work with sometimes! I wish you luck with your work ;)
Nightwind-Dragon Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Thank you
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Writer
Less time talking about it, more time doing it.
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Writer
Haha this is basically my life! Best of luck!
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I am going to MAEK GOOD PUBLISHING.

Seriously, I've been aiming low.
YOU CAN DO IT! :iconexcitedlaplz:
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
DO ALL THE THINGS!
:iconallthethingsplz:
:iconbeccajs:
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Writer
Actually just writing again on a frequent basis. Last year I barely wrote a thing!

Going to enter more prompts/challenges/contests on dA too in hope it will encourage a better writing pattern :)
Sounds like a plan! I'm hoping to get myself involved more on dA in some contests this year, too, to get me back to writing. I used to be really active with writing when ~Prompt-A-Day was still active, but after it went belly-up, I haven't been on top of writing as often as I should for dA related things.

Good luck this year!
:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Writer
I hope to finish my novel though I am only six chapters into it :/ and a bit greedy of me is that I hope to have a short story published in a magazine, I submitted my first so now I am waiting with my fingers crossed!
Best of luck with your novel and your short story! It would be a great way to start the new year if you got it published!
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I intend to write more than in 2011.
Best of luck! :hug: Is there any particular project you want to work on, or just writing in general?
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Both. I want to write more in general and also get the full first draft of a particular project down.
:iconavatar-720:
Avatar-720 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Happy New Year. :)

I have absolutely no idea what my literature plans for this year are; if it's as bad in general as 2012 was then I doubt there will be any literature plans. If I had to make one, then it'd be to actually do NaNo this year now I that I don't have to look after a recently-relapsed Paranoid Schizophrenic relative at the same time.
Happy New Year to you, too! :hug:

I hope you'll be able to get some work done this year. I feel like 2012 was a slump year for a lot of people. Hopefully you'll be able to do NaNo!
:iconscee-kel:
Scee-Kel Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I'm going to try to write in the journal I got for Christmas as one of my characters every day. I've thought of writing something with her in it, and it would be fun to try a new format.

I should also take it as an opportunity to improve my handwriting. When I run out of journal space, I'm gonna want to be able to read what I wrote.
That sounds like a lot of fun! I got a bunch of journals for Christmas, too, that I don't know what to do with yet. That sounds like it would actually be interesting to try out ;)
:iconscee-kel:
Scee-Kel Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I'm mostly hoping I can actually start a habit. But it sounds more fun than just doing one of those 'have to write an hour a day' things. And, y'know, trying a new genre is always exciting. =)
:iconhallowedlady:
Hallowedlady Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
The biggest one is too finish my non-uni pieces for a change.
Good luck! :hug:
:iconhallowedlady:
Hallowedlady Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Hopefully I'll be able to stick to one idea at a time.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Writer
I don't really make New Year's Resolutions as such, but I am hoping to get my NaNoWriMo novel edited and available for sale within the next two or three months. I realise that's not a lot of time, but it's a short novel and (I think partly thanks to a fairly solid plan) doesn't seem to have any colossal problems. Also, Createspace is offering five free author copies to NaNoWriMo winners, but the deadline for claiming them is in June. If I'm making my work available in print, I want it to be top-notch. I won't be able to change those five copies once they're made, and I won't have another chance to make a first impression if anybody buys one for themselves.

I'd also like to contribute to more projects. With Duotrope going subscription-based, I don't see myself submitting to as many publications as before. However, I've noticed some good stuff popping up in the Projects/Job Offer forums here from time to time, and I'm hoping to find a few that I can really get involved with.

So I guess that's one plan and one hope! :-)
Good luck! It would be great to take advantage of the five free copies of your novel! I know what you mean about having to get it completely polished, though. I'm sure you'll be able to get it done and out-- that's a pretty big resolution, but achievable!

I'm still really irked about Duotrope charging now (though I do understand that they need to make money, I guess...) Have you looked at the Writers' Market books at all? They have them for all different genres (short stories, novels, poetry, song writers, children's writers, etc.) and the publishers/editors/journals/contests looking for work this year. They can be fairly expensive a pop if you get all at once, but it is helpful for sending stuff out! (I'm not sure if there's a UK edition with places there, but it's worth looking into!)
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Writer
I'm hoping I'll be able to manage the editing just by making it a priority and getting a couple of extra people to read through. As long as no huge problems turn up, it should mostly just be a matter of fixing typos and adding detail.

Duotrope going paid bugs me too, though in a way I'm glad I didn't become too dependent on it before: I only had one submission still out on the 31st. I know they were repeatedly failing to reach their donation targets, but I'm worried this may damage them in the long run. Having only even heard of them in mid-2012, and given how long it can take to get a response to a submission from some places, I didn't really feel like I'd got enough use out of the site to make a donation. Now the need for a subscription stops me from ever reaching that point. It's hardly going to be good news for their acceptance/rejection/waiting time statistics either.

I believe there is a UK version of the Writers' Market, and it might be worth a look. The thing is that I've found quite a few markets just through Google or various writing groups, so I don't know if I'd ever get my money's worth even just for the short story one. :shrug:
:icontheslender759:
TheSlender759 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
i think i'll make som fan fics due to that i haven't made some in a while
Good luck!
:icontheslender759:
TheSlender759 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
:iconiloveitmoreplz: aww thank you soo much
:iconvenomoussniper:
VenomousSniper Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Writer
My new years resolutions (lit-wise), is to work on a short story novel, to get started on a full novel, and to try and get the short story novel published. :3
:) I wish you luck!
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Finish my rewrite for my novel(la) and get at least the second draft completed by next year (2014)
Read more a. Neil Gaiman b. Robert Buettner, c. fairy tales d. Charles Dickens e. poetry collections
Participate in more prompts
Study more grammar and voice

I'd better keep and complete these goals. Happy new years!
Best of luck to you (especially with the novel/novella work)! The grammar and voice stuff a few people have been wanting to work on this year-- it sounds like a good resolution to me!

Happy new years to you, too! :hug:
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
thanks, have a good new year yourself.
:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Funny, I was thinking about Lit resolutions too myself! Now I have to act on them, since it's about 14 hours into the New Year already for me (yay Australia).

:bulletblue: Edit all the work in my deviantART gallery where everyone has given me critique for, and edit consistently (ie do second drafts of stories, and keep drafting them even when I think I'm done with the first draft) That will be the number one resolution to keep for 2013.

Hopefully, I'll love to achieve a couple of others as well:

:bulletblue: Get at least one piece published (short stories/flash fiction especially). This is contingent on the aforementioned resolution to actually edit my work.
:bulletblue: Finish at least two drafts of my novel
:bulletblue: Read 40 books. Last year, I read about 32 books. I should be able to do this!
:bulletblue: Make the Book Club on campus happen, and perhaps a general writing group as well (which welcomes everyone, regardless of whether they do an English degree or not. Speaking as someone who studies Law instead).
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Writer
I got involved with a writing group at my university: welcoming people from any academic background is definitely a great idea. The English Department ran a creative writing workshop once a week that usually had seven or eight people, but often not so many. The student-run creative writing society had something like fifty for the first session. As far as I can tell, the biggest difference was that the society was advertised to everyone while the workshop was only recommended to English students. It was surprising to see how many Maths people alone turned up.

Also, have you considered combining the book club and writing group into one society? It seems likely that people who would be interested in one would like the other, and if they don't there's usually enough flexibility with that sort of group to allow people to do their own thing. It might be a little easier to organise that way.
:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Ah, awesome to know that there's a lot of interest in a student-run society where you were! I was always sure that there were creative writers out there, regardless of what academic discipline they were studying, now to take the next step and get people to know them!

Yeah, I'm definitely planning it to be combined into the one society. :nod: It's actually going under the banner of a book charity that I started last year on campus, and I said a book club would be a great way to engage people on campus about books and reading, whilst drawing attention to the cause that we're fundraising for, now and then. Since the book is going to be a monthly thing, I'm hoping every second week we'll have a writer's group as well. Nothing of this sort has been attempted at my uni before, so I hope it all works out!
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Writer
That sounds like a good balance, especially since people are likely to have other things to read at the same time. A month is a decent amount of time to finish a book, and should leave lots of time to work on writing. Best of luck running it! :-)
Add a Comment: