Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 221

Trust your feelings

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Alright, so I often see stuff like "I felt this was good" coming from writer trying to figure out where they are skillwise.

Do you judge your own work on instinct?

Why?

Do you think this sounds like a crock of shit?

Why? (also, +15 for answering what crocks of shit sound like without being gross.)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrnrsentinelda:
RnRSentinelDA Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Student General Artist
Perhaps what they meant by, "I think this is good", really is them measuring how much pleasure and joy the author feels when looking back on it. They might not be truly defining their work on the basis of their skill or how well it was written but instead they are commenting on how they "feel" about it or how satisfied with it they are. That is the instinct aspect.

When I write, I try to read from the reader's point of view. Meaning I have to feel like I just picked up the work that I have no clue about and I all have to go is the title and maybe the summary. As the writer, I make sure that what ever I have written is presented in such a way that someone who first reads it will comprehend and understand what is happening. You can have a great idea planned out in your mind, and it makes sense to you, but if you don't structure it in a coherent way to readers, it falls flat.
:iconartistaq8:
artistaq8 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I try to judge my work not only by instinct but sometimes I try to imagine what the readers will feel like when they read my work. It's true that when writing I don't always notice the mistakes I do whether it was grammar, characters, or plot but I change what I can and give it to someone to give me his/her feedback :)
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
If I think it sounds good, I stick with it. I dont change it because people have trouble understanding it, but usually that isn't a problem.
:icontakatake:
Takatake Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
well..when story comes to me, sometimes i think i know instantly it's good, but to make sure i ask other ppl for opinion because its very important to know what they do/dont like and for me its more fun to see critiques than praises.
i dont get what u mean by crock of shit..what sounds? :DDDD ba dum tssssss
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:nod:

There's an English phrase, 'that sounds like a crock of shit to me'--so basically it's lies or BS.
:icontakatake:
Takatake Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
oh ok
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Every time this thread bubbles to the surface, I think it's Obi-Wan talking to Luke.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That is exactly what I was aiming for.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:iconfuckyeaplz:
:iconsydnerella:
sydnerella Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   Writer
It depends. If it's an area of writing that I am reasonably confident with (such as description), then I feel I'm reasonably qualified to go with what "feels" right (and I suppose this would mimic what you refer to as an instinct). And even then, that's no excuse to not examine those areas just as carefully as every other component of writing.

If someone critiques an area I know I need work on, such as plot, then I will take any help I can get. I know I will need to work harder because it's not something that comes naturally to me.

It benefits a writer to have confidence in one area, and I like to think that those who read widely and spend a lot of their time writing develop something they feel they have an instinct for. It equally benefits a writer to know what isn't coming naturally to them.
Add a Comment: