Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 83

help with story idea.

:iconkimonocrazy:
KimonoCrazy Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I have an idea for a story. The idea is that there is this dream device that can see into people's dreams. Soon dreams start becoming reality. One gets himself involved with a murder from someone else's dream. That all I've got of idea. Please let me know what you think of it and give suggestions on how to expand it further. Thank you.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjessaminediane:
JessamineDiane Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I had an idea similar to this when I was a kid. I scrapped it but I might go back to it one day.
KimonoCrazy Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Oh, cool. I've starting actually writing this and I feel its coming along quite nicely.
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I hope you've studied up on Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, their stuff will help you a lot if you are writing about dreams, they did for me.
Oh, well, I've actually gotten some more ideas and I may leave the dream part out, but if I keep the dream part in could you recommend me one of their books?
I'd start with Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols. I also like to keep a list of universal dream symbols handy.
What genre are these?
psychology...
Are these books with actual stories or are they more books that explain or talk about a subject?
no, they are books that are on certain subjects
Oh, well I guess I could check it out.
:iconsmoppet:
Smoppet Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
:iconeratsplz:
That seems really similar to the movie, Paprika.
Inception was already influenced by that anime, maybe you need to tweak your general plot more.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What's wrong with more than one person being influenced by the same thing?
:shrug: I just feel like if you were familiar with Paprika, that's all you'd be thinking about while reading rather than enjoying it for what it is. You'd just be making comparisons.
But maybe that's just me.
Paprika's anime (with the best soundtrack everrrrrrr), this would be an English-language book. It's one thing in idea form, but I can't imagine the whole book evoking the movie.

Also, 'Hunger Games' being compared to 'Battle Royale' hasn't fucked it over one bit.
:noes: I don't know. Maybe I just have little faith in some random person on dA being able to successfully accomplish that?
Accomplish something different from Paprika? That actually sounds easy to me. Paprika was so visual, and writing technically isn't.
Ok, what would you suggest I do. I've got a lot more thought up now, plus mine is going to a murder mystery subplot.
I'm not sure. Maybe you should have it based more around supernatural elements rather than a device.
Ok, even though I've got pretty good idea for the opening of my story.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Digital Artist
Try plotting out the story first if you're having trouble just writing it. Like, write notes on where you want it to go and what the major events will be. Who the main characters are and that sort of thing.

As for giving you ideas, well if we could think of some awesome ideas then we'd probably be using them for our own stories. =P It's very hard to give story advice ideas.
I know right and sometimes its hard to take advice. I'll try your method. I could just go with a overused name since the character is dead at the start of the story.
Yep, stories don't just pop out super easy. :) And they'll often change . Those suggestions I gave you are ones I'm using for starting the second draft of my novel. So definitely don't worry too much about names and specifics, they'll change.
Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll begin writing soon. I would love to give an update in a few days or so.
Good luck. :D When you have something written that you want critique on, you can post it here [link] like `PinkyMcCoversong suggested.
Ok. I also have one more question, if I don't trouble you, but I'm not sure weather to do this with chapters or just write it as is. I not asking which I should use, but should I write the rough draft stages not as a novel with chapters or should I start with whatever I feel works for me?
I usually like to plan out my main events in chapters. It helps me organise them. (So I'll be like Chapter One is where the dude meets the pirate fairies and Chapter Two is where dolphins attack the pirate ship (this is not my actual story btw))

But I suppose you could just write it and chop it up into chapters later. As with most things with writing, it's whatever works for you. :)

I have also read novels that don't have chapters, and just are in one big story. ;P
I do prefer not writing in chapters since it makes me feel restricted. I like splitting my work into parts. Well, thanks anyway.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
If you've got an idea, just start writing the story! If you don't like how it begins, you can always change it later. The first draft is never the final draft. Just go for it :D
Well, yeah, but one of my problems is keeping it going. Do you understand? Like for example I will be able to write a few paragraphs, then I just get stuck or I can seem to get my thoughts out.
A few paragraphs? How much do you read (both books about writing and stuff in general)?
Not much. I do read a lot of manga and have had my share of some good books, why do you ask?
Because a few paragraphs is pretty early to get stuck on a story if you have the thing plotted out as far as you say you have.
KimonoCrazy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I only have some of it plotted out, but writing takes time and I get bored sometimes. I end up leaving it alone and coming back to it later.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"writing takes time and I get bored sometimes" - I have no help for this. Either you care enough to do it, or you don't. It's up to you.
I do, but you don't have to help me if you don't want to. I've got a good start on my planning anyway.
(1 Reply)
It happens to everyone. Really the only way to overcome it is to keep writing or trying to. Everyone has their own methods to help (some people listen to music, etc.) overcome it, but just continuing writing can sometimes be just the thing. I also know people who leave their projects alone and don't work on it and then go back to it about a week or so later and start writing again.

Try going here for some more tips for writers' block.
Yeah, well at least I have an idea for how to start it.
That's good! Just try getting it down. Once you get some down, it will help.
Yup. What's a good name for a female scientist? I'm very bad at coming up with names that don't sound overused.
Have you tried babynames.com? If you need first names, it's a good place to search (surnames you can look on ancestry websites). It may be a tad cliche, but even if you use scientific words for surnames, it could be interesting.
I just came up with the name Samantha Carter. In my story she was the one that developed the dream machine and since it has now collided with reality she commits suicide.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
give suggestions on how to expand it further

In other words, you want us to do your work for you.

Taking an idea and expanding on it until it becomes a story is a writer's job. No one every said it was supposed to be easy.
Um.. no, I don't want you to do the work for you I just want some ideas. I'm actually doing some work myself as I'm still in the planning stage. I don't expect others to do my work for me. I just want a few ideas.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   Writer
I just want some ideas

that is work.
Well, ok. I've actually been having a lot of ideas that may change my original idea.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
This belongs in the monthly critique thread.
Ok, then if you wanna move it then do so.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
I'm not an admin. What will probably happen is a CV will lock this thread and you can repost in the critique thread, which you can find above.
Ok, sounds good to me.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Watch an anime called Paprika and do the opposite :lol:
Add a Comment: