Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Professional proofread question

:iconremh1986:
remh1986 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I just submitted, or should I say got back a submission of a short story I sent in to get professionally proofread for an e-book I want to publish. Now, before any of you says it, YES, the company is LEGIT, BBB proved, I checked. Anyway, I was going over their proofread job of my and I kind of like my version better. I'm still quite new into my writing...life? And I will fully admit I've never been great with grammar, and they are the professionals, so I probably shouldn't question them too much.

Anyway without rambling like a fool, has anyone ever had this issue with a professional proofread job before?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Writer
I agree with neurotype. If you don't like some of the changes the best solution is to ask why they made them. If they're legit, they'll be able to accommodate.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   Writer
I feel like if you're this new, you should take your time to perfect your craft.

:iconthisplz:

remh1986 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for all the comments guys.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Can you ask questions about the changes? It sounds like what you really need is a critique partner: someone you can have a back-and-forth conversation with about changing your work in the direction you want.

I agree with everyone else too, especially the point `PinkyMcCoversong makes about holding off on submitting this anywhere for a while.
remh1986 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That's my real issue. I don't have anybody to go back and forth with. Never have. None of my friends can really do it either. I Don't know what to do at this point
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Writer
You can apply too for someone to help you out at #Beta-Readers as well if you are looking :)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Get a critique partner. I've heard they tend to be available locally, aside from searching online.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
I'm just going to throw in that I agree with the above posters.

Also, if you're having this much trouble with proofreading feedback, maybe you should hold off a bit before putting this out.  Get some critiques, revise, and then try and either ebook publish or submit to agents/editors.  I feel like if you're this new, you should take your time to perfect your craft.
remh1986 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, I asked for a proofread mainly. Grammar and spelling as those are my weak points. But I feel the changes made have altered the tone of the character and the story a bit. It's little sentences here and there but kind of bugs me the more I read it. It's written in the style of journal, so that's probably the main issue I have with the tone. I don't know if it's the proofread job or if I just suck at writing and now with it cleaned up I see how bad I really am.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
If it's grammatical and spelling errors that were fixed up and changed, I'd personally keep them. Grammar and spelling are extremely important and if you plan on or are getting this story published, you want it as polished as it can get.
Add a Comment: