Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

Pen and Paper or Word

:icondelighted-endlessly:
Delighted-Endlessly Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
What do prefer when making you rough drafts: pencil and paper or typing it up on a computer?

I have heard from mainly people you should write your drafts by hand the first two or three drafts and then type it up while I have heard from others, mainly my father, you should do it all on a laptop/desktop.

Thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinestress:
Cinestress Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Filmographer
I write in both. Sometimes I feel like I have no inspiration with a computer, so I will write in a notebook to at least get started and then I switch to the computer. Poetry, I almost always write on paper and then transfer it.
:iconkimkwanho:
kimkwanho Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Writer
i just write it on the specific website i am sharing it in, if i am writing something for deviantart, i write it here, or for another example if i write something on a XYZ website, i write it there.. helps with classifying ideas according to the audience of the website, ofc if the writing tool in that website doesn't sux hard that is; and the most important thing is to save it occasionally if it is a long or quality writing.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
It is comfortable for me to sketch poems on paper and then place into word. Yet,for novels, I am much more acquainted to the feel of the keyboard.
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Word. My handwriting is atrocious, as my hands might as well be crab claws, but I can type quickly, and I know the keyboard very well.

Honestly, if I tried to read it again and I hand wrote it, I might not know what it says.
:icontwimper:
Twimper Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
i tend to use word though i will use pen and paper for bullet pointing plots and stuff like that.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I type everything. I type first drafts, final drafts, notes, plans for future chapters, reminders about the current chapter, passages I want to insert at the right time. It all gets typed into either OpenOffice or Notepad.

These days I don't even use my paper note book while I am away from my computer as often as I used to. More and more of my random ideas get typed into my phone as a reminder instead of written in pen.

I think it's mostly generational.
:iconsilvertidalwave:
SilverTidalWave Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Writer
I usually prefer writing a little bit out on paper, then I type it out and continue on word. Usually staring at a blank word document puts me off.
:iconchrismunro:
chrismunro Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I usually write things out first and then type, unless I have a really good idea of where the story is going. I type faster than I write, and the words are readable, so I'll go for typing then.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's really no "should" on this matter, it just depends on what's most comfortable for you.

My tendency is to prefer pen and paper for drafting or planning, typing for finished drafts.  More recently, in order to conserve paper, I've done more of the initial writing using Scrivener.  But I'm a pretty tactile person, I like scribbling on pages, circling stuff, crossing stuff out, and as I've had to go back and re-plan the story I've been working on the last year, I've also gone back to pen and note paper.
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Usually it just depends on where I am when I'm writing. A lot of what I've written has been written during classes in school, so any of them are written on paper. But if I have a computer or some sort of device I can type on handy and can use it at the time, then I prefer that. It's easier to fix mistakes and edit that way.

Then again, I have very little that is solely on one or the other. Almost everything I've done has been split between the two because I work on them at different times with different resources available.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   Writer
it depends. i usually write it out in Word, print it, edit it by hand, type in the changes, print it again, one more edit and that's it. sometimes i start it by hand and then type it in and repeat the process.

do what you want, this is not an exact science. what matters is the product, now how you get there.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Writer
I write my first drafts on paper. Somehow, it's not as scary as writing on the screen. It feels much "rougher", I think, and suits early drafts.

It's a psychological thing for me.
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Writer
Computers, I hate it when my hand gets sore (an take that seriously, I am a pianist and know what 'sore' is).
:iconirononiji:
iroNoNiji Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm completely unorganized, so it usually comes down to what I find first.
But if you like to add notes and mark things, which I do, you'll find that it usually works better P&P.
:iconsarahjaderoseblood:
sarahjaderoseblood Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i use te digitials
:icontildsart:
TildsArt Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I write on paper and when I'm done I copy on my laptop.
I occasionally write on my phone notes when I have an idea in the middle of the night, very unprofessional :P
:iconastro-star:
Astro-Star Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   General Artist
If you value your penmanship, writing drafts by hand is the way to go. You'll lose your handwriting skills over time the longer you go without a pencil, something I discovered the hard way. I type 95 WPM, and I still can't get my ideas down quickly enough before I lose the flow. I don't like the pacing when I write by hand. Scenes tend to end too early I guess because I'm abbreviating thoughts as a compromise to the slow speed the pen travels. Plus, the backspace button doesn't work on paper.

However, nothing beats the joy of writing down a whole scene on paper, on the fly, as it hits you at 3 am without a keyboard in sight.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
My wrist would slit itself if I tried to write on paper. Haven't really had to do that since I left high school and that was a good ten years ago. Good riddance I say.

So yeah, I write everything on the computer. A lot faster and much easier to make sure you lose nothing if something happens. Copies everywhere and in different places and all that. Honestly speaking a notebook is just way too easy to lose or destroy and then you've lost all that work.

If I absolutely had to write by hand I'd go with something like Livescribe just to be on the safe side.
:iconshwiggs-kirths:
Shwiggs-Kirths Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Paper is good for getting your story on a sturdy foundation. as a plus, You never run out of battery, and never have to worry about dropping.

Word processors are good for checking spelling an watching for grammar errors.

The magic happens when you transfer from paper to word, there entails the twists that turn a written piece into a woven masterpiece.
:iconforevercty:
foreverCTY Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends on what I'm writing, come to think of it. Visual stories like a fantasy novel with lots of maps and puzzles I write out on paper so that I can draw all the maps and stuff right there next to the story. I tried doing my NaNoWriMo on paper though but after about 100 pages, I gave up and went to the computer only because I write at like... what 40-50 words a minute and I can type something like 110.
:iconzeratul547:
zeratul547 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Writer
I type way faster than I write so that's what I use, I also use a drawing app on my iPad for brainstorming.
:iconzeratul547:
zeratul547 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Writer
Yeah that sounded too corporate, outlining or sketching out ideas for a story is probably a better way of putting it. I use those web diagrams a lot.
:iconslytherinsheiress:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Writer
When I'm outline and/or plotting a story, I prefer to do it in longhand, but I write the story on the computer.
:iconslytherinsheiress:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Writer
When I'm OUTLINING, not outline.

Shouldn't have gone to that bar tonight...
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Word whenever possible. I cannot handwrite 70 words per minute.
I'll only switch to pen and paper if I either haven't got a computer handy or if distractions [the internet] becomes a problem.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist
I usually write the initial sketches on napkins, receipts, or whatever I happen to have handy when I think of them. Later I'll collect them, lay them out on my desk, and type everything up before the cat pounces on the papers and knocks them all over the floor.

>>> I have heard from mainly people you should write your drafts by hand

There are very little "should"s in creative processes, but I'm still curious why <whoever> said that.</whoever>
I write my work out on paper because I connect better, and sadly my cat enjoys eating my paper drafts.

One more reason to type from the start I guess :meow:
I prefer to do planning on paper. It's a bit easier to shift things around, write notes in the margins, etc. If I had a tablet computer with me at all times, and could write up a decent program to take notes with, I'd prefer to go all electronic. It'd keep my notes safe from the cat :)
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Writer
They actually had made something for writers a few years ago that was like that which was portable to take with you! It wasn't a computer, but it allowed you to plug in a USB to save your work on and upload it to your laptop later. I don't remember what they were called, but I remember them being listed in the Writers' Digest magazine quite frequently a while back. Not too sure how well they worked, though...
merrak Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist
There seems to be a growing market for ~$20 computers. If I didn't have other things to do, I'd buy one and see what I could whip up. But I have other priorities, and it's hard to justify the time when my current system does work.
I will have to take you advice and maybe try do do more on my laptop.
Thank you dA for automatically closing my "tags"
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Usually I rough draft on paper, but that's because I usually don't have a computer with me when I have a spare moment between lunch and getting back to work.

There is no "should", and it's ridiculous for anyone to even say so. Do what works best for you.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Word. Why write it on paper when it takes longer, it's harder to edit, uses paper/ink/pencil lead, and you'll just have to type it up later anyways?
When I write short stories, I like to use paper because I feel more in tune with my story (if that makes any sense). I write one draft then edit then re-write 3 time on paper before I even think about typing it.
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't write any draft on paper, notes yes. I can't image writing say a 100k word novel on notebook paper. I can't even imagine how many notebooks that would be spread out over. I mean even is I were to write say a short-story. It's on computer.
I could see how the amount, if written on paper, could be overwhelming (or at least for me).
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Writer
I usually just do all my work on my laptop. I can't remember the last time I used pen and paper to sit and write any of my stories out (before my laptop, I actually used a typewriter :lol:). There is no right or wrong way of how to do things-- everyone just has their own way that works best for them and is most comfortable.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I prefer Word or anything with a keyboard. I type faster than I write and my handwriting is horrible to begin with.
:iconseeyouinjune:
seeyouinjune Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I use the iPhone touchpad to write all of my stories. This help creating the illusion that I have an abundant social life. It also set me apart from the rest of you, or not.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I use to do that, then I got an Android and looked like I was working on something important.
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
When I first started writing I did my stuff predominantly on paper. As the years went on I drifted towards solely using Word. At one point I would actually write drafts for stories on my cell phone.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Writer
There is no "better" or "right" way.  It depends on the writer.  What works for me might not work for you.  It's about WRITING, not the medium you use to write.
I understand what you mean.
:iconrisuna-phenix:
Risuna-Phenix Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
Typically my first ideas come to me when there is no computer in sight, so pen or pencil is my first draft after that I use the computer unless an idea comes to me at an inopportune moment, then back to the old standby journal that never leaves my side. I've been known to write on my arms when I run out of paper.
Writing on the arms, never thought of that. :)
Gotta do what you gotta do when it comes to writing. :dygel: I just need to find an editor and I can finally get that book published.
I hope you find an editor.:heart:
thanks
:iconkaty-l-wood:
Katy-L-Wood Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
I do both. I prefer the computer, but if I'm out and about I have no problem writing in a journal. The main reason I prefer the computer is that I can type much faster than I can write, and my hand writing is atrocious so I sometimes run into the issue of not knowing what the hell I've written down.

I also don't use Word. I much prefer Scrivener which is designed specifically around fiction writing and it has a lot of cool features that Word either doesn't have or just aren't as user friendly/accessible in Word.
Add a Comment: