Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

Pen and Paper or Word

:icondelighted-endlessly:
Delighted-Endlessly Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
What do prefer when making you rough drafts: pencil and paper or typing it up on a computer?

I have heard from mainly people you should write your drafts by hand the first two or three drafts and then type it up while I have heard from others, mainly my father, you should do it all on a laptop/desktop.

Thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinestress:
Cinestress Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Filmographer
I write in both. Sometimes I feel like I have no inspiration with a computer, so I will write in a notebook to at least get started and then I switch to the computer. Poetry, I almost always write on paper and then transfer it.
:iconkimkwanho:
kimkwanho Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Writer
i just write it on the specific website i am sharing it in, if i am writing something for deviantart, i write it here, or for another example if i write something on a XYZ website, i write it there.. helps with classifying ideas according to the audience of the website, ofc if the writing tool in that website doesn't sux hard that is; and the most important thing is to save it occasionally if it is a long or quality writing.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
It is comfortable for me to sketch poems on paper and then place into word. Yet,for novels, I am much more acquainted to the feel of the keyboard.
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Word. My handwriting is atrocious, as my hands might as well be crab claws, but I can type quickly, and I know the keyboard very well.

Honestly, if I tried to read it again and I hand wrote it, I might not know what it says.
:icontwimper:
Twimper Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   General Artist
i tend to use word though i will use pen and paper for bullet pointing plots and stuff like that.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I type everything. I type first drafts, final drafts, notes, plans for future chapters, reminders about the current chapter, passages I want to insert at the right time. It all gets typed into either OpenOffice or Notepad.

These days I don't even use my paper note book while I am away from my computer as often as I used to. More and more of my random ideas get typed into my phone as a reminder instead of written in pen.

I think it's mostly generational.
:iconsilvertidalwave:
SilverTidalWave Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Writer
I usually prefer writing a little bit out on paper, then I type it out and continue on word. Usually staring at a blank word document puts me off.
:iconchrismunro:
chrismunro Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I usually write things out first and then type, unless I have a really good idea of where the story is going. I type faster than I write, and the words are readable, so I'll go for typing then.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's really no "should" on this matter, it just depends on what's most comfortable for you.

My tendency is to prefer pen and paper for drafting or planning, typing for finished drafts.  More recently, in order to conserve paper, I've done more of the initial writing using Scrivener.  But I'm a pretty tactile person, I like scribbling on pages, circling stuff, crossing stuff out, and as I've had to go back and re-plan the story I've been working on the last year, I've also gone back to pen and note paper.
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Usually it just depends on where I am when I'm writing. A lot of what I've written has been written during classes in school, so any of them are written on paper. But if I have a computer or some sort of device I can type on handy and can use it at the time, then I prefer that. It's easier to fix mistakes and edit that way.

Then again, I have very little that is solely on one or the other. Almost everything I've done has been split between the two because I work on them at different times with different resources available.
Add a Comment: