Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 107

Are you good at writing action scenes?

:iconmackwrites:
mackwrites Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I've recently realized that I am not, in fact, superb at writing action :P by action here I mean chase scenes and guns and duels and fights and what not.

How do you go about writing action scenes? Are you good at it? What steps are you taking to improve?

etc.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsaraalaska:
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
People say I'm pretty good with action scenes in my books. I've won second place in a action catogory in a contest once on the first draft of one of my books. lol I usually can picture things in my head pretty good like a movie, for fighting scenes I just put in music and go. Mostly Bad Reputation by Joan Jet because it's got a good action kind of beat to it. :)
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I tend to think I am pretty good at it, actually. Sometimes I go so far as to think it has or is becoming one of my strengths as a writer. Particularly with fights. What helped me?

Learning to fight.

I think that all the time I've spent, in my life, studying martial arts has done a lot for helping me write fight scenes. It gives me theoretical knowledge and practical experience to apply. Also, studying how others write action scenes is helpful. That should be obvious. I'm less good at guns and cars because I don't drive and have never shot a gun. If I wanted to get better at them, I'd go learn. I think experience is one of the best steps you could take to improve.
mackwrites Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Cool!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
For me, the action of a story is hard to imagine.
mackwrites Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Yeah
:iconsaints-fan-12:
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No, i have tried and it didn't work so i might not ever try that again.
Hm well! Practice does make perfect.
:iconsaints-fan-12:
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
true
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't think I'm that good with them, at least not in making them elaborate. That's why most of the time the action I write is very short and basic. I don't go describing in amazing details how awesome the fight is or how the characters make some hard to believe martial arts moves and back flips and what have you. Things just end up short and bloody and in your face without much decorations. I suppose that sort of style has its appeal in the world of fantasy seeing as the genre is usually peppered with elaborate fights.

I'm no R.A. Salvatore who can have three chapters in a row with nothing but action. And he makes it work.
Interesting
Add a Comment: