December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 109

Pet peeves

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
"Facepalm" is not a real verb. Or a noun. Or anything, geez. :iconfacepalmplz:

What other common mistakes these days make you want to grab the guilty newbie by the shoulders and throttle them?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconclandestine-assassin:
Clandestine-Assassin Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Badly written fan fiction. I read a lot of fan fics, it's my guilty pleasure. I was just reading one that seemed almost good (One seemingly worth the read, but not one you would read again, or recommend to someone else), a modern day Assassin's Creed thing (Which bugs me, bug I can get over it for the sake of the story) and all the characters were combined into the story, and knew each other personally (Bugged me A LOT, but I moved past it to see where the plot was going). They introduced the main couple of the story pretty well - They didn't seem to like each other much at first, just because of bad chemistry, but after spending a bit of time together, grew fond of one another, then the love interest suddenly had to leave for reasons that would be explained later. Cheesy, but not too bad. Here's where they lost me: The main character's (supposedly straight) best friend asked him out. The main character went on a 3 paragraph unrelated story about some OC in their mind that had nothing to do with the plot at all, then agreed to go out with this friend, after just getting out of the depression of the first love interest leaving. The main characters thoughts weren't about moving on, or getting back out there, and didn't even question his friend's new sexuality all that much, instead they did fan service and made out.

:iconlll-plz:
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yikes.
:iconneednknow:
My pet peeves have a lot to do with styles. In a few books I've recently read, mostly YA (I hate them, but I love reading them 'cause of the usually happy ending and all......).

- "Don't get me wrong, she's my best friend and all, but blah blah blah." I loathe it when the narrator indirectly talks to me like that. In real life, I can deal with it, but I hate it when it's in books. Yes, I know you're BFFs, you'll die for each other, so move on. Because it's like the narrator is forcing me to like her, and see from her POV, when I'm already reading from her POV.

- When the narrator has the need to describe how perfect her BFF is. Or reveal how outgoing her BFF is, in contrast to the antisocial narrator. OMGEEEE.

I've seen them more recently, and they annoy the heck out of me. It usually doesn't bother me, but when it bugs me, I start hating the book.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Nothing serious pisses me off.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Have characters openly use the word "power" to describe a magical item / advanced piece of technology / personal strength level / whatever that they have.

Lord, just be better at covering it up.
:icondamonwakes:
Definitely a good guideline to bear in mind. :nod: And oddly, it doesn't seem to be a problem when it's not a character talking about themselves. "That is Xarkap the Enlightened, and he possesses a great power" sort of works where "I am Xarkap the Enlightened, and I possess a great power" doesn't.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I was just playing xenoblade, and getting openly embarrassed FOR the writers and voice actors for how often they're like "the monado's power." which is a magical sword they have. I'm fine with magical swords existing, but not characters not caring whether they sound like they're from power rangers with how often they act openly like it's a plot device.
:icondamonwakes:
Ugh. It's annoying how often video games have such terrible writing. They don't have to be that way. :p
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
oooh i have one. i keep seeing writing advice that says "hook your reader right at the beginning by starting in the middle of the action, explain things a bit later"

i hate that so much. i don't like to be suddenly thrown into action/suspense scenes when i have no idea what's going on, no idea who the characters are, and also, no reason to LIKE or CARE about the characters!! and it's so obvious that the writer is saying "LOOK, LOOK, AN INTERESTING ACTION SCENE TO GET YOUR ATTENTION!!! I'M TRYING TO HOOK YOU IN!!!" i prefer slow beginnings that explain things. not a big infodump, but explain SOME things. make it clear who the characters are and what their personalities are. make it clear what's happening in the scene. it does not have to be a suspenseful scene to hook me in!

another thing...

i dislike stories where a guy and girl argue, argue, argue... fight, fight, fight... and then they're in love all of a sudden! it's a "they fight because they love each other" thing. that just seems so stupid to me. they hate each other, but actually they hate each other because they love each other? so they don't hate each other but they always act like they hate each other, for no reason? it's supposed to be cute or something but that gets on my nerves.

wait, now i have another: stories where a nice sweet girl meets a cold, rude guy, and she falls in love with him for no reason. the guy deep down has a soft heart but it's honestly so deep down that there really is no reason why the girl would fall for him! and the guy doesn't face any punishment for his rudeness, because his mean personality supposedly makes him "hot" i guess :roll:
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
What about starting at the beginning of an action scene? Or at the end of one?
Add a Comment: