Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Writer
...DOESN'T COUNT AS A CRITIQUE PARTNER.

Your mom, your bff, your grandma, or that guy from the office are all going to tell you that you're awesome. So who do you get to read your work for feedback?

Do you have a critique partner?
Who reads your work?
How do you feel about SERIOUS feedback?
If you don't have critique partners, what are you doing to change this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconliliwrites:
LiliWrites Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
*ShadowedAcolyte is pretty good about making sure he doesn't miss any dusty nook or cranny that needs inspection. :B I have so many luffs for him for it. :D
:icontales-of-haven:
Tales-of-Haven Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
a.) unfortunately...I don't. :I

b.) myself, the occasional classmate, teacher if it's for an assignment

c.) I'd love to have someone rip my stuff apart. I need it.

d.) forcing people to read my shit. Shoving my notebook at them. :I
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
Maybe you should try giving some feedback here on dA -- maybe start in the monthly critique thread -- and find some folks you can exchange critique with.
:icontales-of-haven:
Tales-of-Haven Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Hmm...sounds like a good idea. I guess I'll have to brush off my critiquing skills
:iconseeyouinjune:
seeyouinjune Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I love my mom.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Writer
And?
:iconseeyouinjune:
seeyouinjune Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
and I love mah daddy too.
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
My dad is the closest thing to a critique partner that I have. He's pretty objective with what I write and if there's something he really feels is amiss he'll ask me about it. It also helps that he's been published before.

While my friends and family do pretty much "pat me on the ass" when they read my stuff, a few of those people will help point out errors that I may miss. So at least what they say isn't too congratulatory to be useful.
:iconirononiji:
iroNoNiji Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You obviously don't know my mum. She says what I'm writing is shit before she reads it :D

a)
Do I have a critique partner?
No, not really, although I do know some people who have a _relatively_ neutral stance. And DA helps a bit.
b)
about ten people on DA. And that's pretty much it.
c)
I love it. Really do.However, I'd really like it if people told me what was good, if anything, and what was complete and utter crap.
d)
DA and the rest of the internet. I think as a native English speaker stuck in Germany I don't have much of a choice do I? And that's what the interwebs is for, righ'?
:iconpaperairplan-e:
paperairplan-e Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I don't really have a critique partner since I'm to scared to show anyone my works. I guess that implies being a real wimp about critiques to begin with. I should probably get one.

I show most of my works to my mother and, YES I know you said she doesn't count. But she doesn't think of me as an exception when it comes to giving out her opinion about my work. Actually, I don't get much of the "You're awesome" from her. Maybe she is being a little bit more gentle with me than with others but I think she counts. After all, she doesn't have this urge to hold back any of her thoughts no matter how striking and painful they can be.
:iconshurely:
Shurely Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
A critique partner? Hmm, that'd be nice. I get no feedback whatsoever, so any at all is appreciated, no matter how vicious or condescending it is. As for people who read my work...well, that'd be my literature buddies and other friends - I rarely let my family know about my writing (it infuriates them so much). Serious feedback is the best feedback you can get, and usually I like to give it instead of the mediocre "OMG ur sooooo good!" If someone gives me sincere feedback, even if it completely criticises my work, I know that I am going to learn from it. Since I don't have a critique partner, I think I might just ask one of my friends to become one: they're all well versed in literature, so they'll all say something worth my time.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That is indeed true :nod:

Nope. :C

Who reads your work?
My family, occasionally my friends. LAME

Gimme. :eager:

When I have a story or two finished, so it gives me something to go off of. I might try to find a writing site or a group here on dA.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have no crituque partner, except my reviewers on Fanfic. net. What I plan to do to change this is, hurry up and finish my frikking novel's draft, so I can actually start showing it to a publisher....or editor...............whichever comes first. I'm kind of wining it.
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Writer
NO. You need to revise this draft several times before showing an editor/publisher. Getting a critique partner will help with the revision.
:iconanukeorsplatter:
AnukeorSplatter Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:iconthisplz:

I actually do not have a critique partner... I wish I did.

As an alternative, I usually submit my writing into critique groups and get some nice, "this sucks this doesn't" critique.
Are you going to try and find critique partners?
:iconanukeorsplatter:
AnukeorSplatter Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yes, and I have been.
:iconmetarex12:
Metarex12 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
My mother kills any ideas for stories. It almost makes me think I can't write anything at all. Always says to scrap the idea or to change it in some way. It's as if nothing I write is good enough for her. :\
I think you missed the point of this thread.
Metarex12 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
I read the whole thing, but the part that caught my attention the most was "Your mom, your bff, your grandma, or that guy from the office are all going to tell you that you're awesome" so I felt I had to give an example where it's not always true.
Of course there are always exceptions. Maybe the other parts should get your attention.
Metarex12 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm not sure. :shrug: I don't think so.
Who reads your work?
Anyone that chooses to read it.
Oh goodie~ More please.
I want to finish one of my writing projects first before going into that. Don't want to get ahead of myself.
A critique partner is a writer with whom you regularly trade feedback. Some people meet with their critique partner/critique group regularly, others trade online. If you don't know if you have one, you probably don't.

If you're waiting for people to come to YOU to give you feedback, you're probably not going to get a lot of feedback. The best way to GET feedback is to GIVE it. Try some groups here on dA. Or the monthly critique thread!
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Then don't ask her opinion :dummy: It's that easy. Just because she doesn't like it doesn't mean it's bad. I love Harry Potter, but some people hate it.
Metarex12 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
True.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Writer
YOU DON'T KNOW MY MOMMA!
THAT'S NOT WHAT SHE SAID LAST NIGHT.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Writer
HEY-O!
PWND.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Writer
i'm lucky that my dad, while not a critique partner, reads my work with an objective eye. believe me, if something is wrong, he will tell me. when his brother/my uncle wrote a book back in the 90s, he looked to my dad for notes as well.

he's good for a general once-over but i don't rely on him for this stuff. i prefer to keep it all here. everyone here is doing this on a regular basis. i don't have a crit partner. no one wants to play with me. i guess i scare people.
YOU ARE SO SCARY!

But that's cool that your dad makes a good beta reader/critique partner. Maybe you could set up a critiquing thing on Scream somtime?
i've thought about doing a crit affiliation thing with other groups but that's about it; if there are stories where people want critiques, sometimes i'll do one, especially if they ask.
Yeah. I've thought it would be cool if we could have like a matching service for crit partners, but there would have to be either a) a wanted/personals section set up for this and/or matchmakers volunteering.
i think Adopt-a-writer tried this and it flopped. i don't know if the beta reader group does anything or not. it took something like a year before i was matched up; the person who ran the group (whichever it was, i don't remember) said i was too tough to match with anyone. i'm like, what the fuck does that fucking mean and how is that my fault. then when i did get matched, that person decided they didn't want to write anymore. fml
We need algorithms.
:iconshadowedacolyte:
ShadowedAcolyte Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Best critique partner I have?

A literary-minded ex-girlfriend. She never minces words, and if I deserve it, she lets me have it bad. And grudging praise of a work done well is all the more meaningful.

I highly, highly recommend it.
:iconzeratul547:
zeratul547 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Writer
man this is why i miss `salshep, she could tear my shit up.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Writer
Quite a few!

Who reads your work?
Old writing workshop members that I still keep in touch with from university. We were all in fiction writing workshops and still share our work with one another for feedback every once in a while. They often have really good advice for improvement! I also take my work to our local writers' workshop for the Hudson Valley every Sunday where we do peer reviews. They help, as well. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, my old professors from university also take time to read over some work I send and provide feedback if they're not too busy.

I adore it. It's the only way to really improve.

:iconthebrassglass:
TheBrassGlass Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm the pickiest, most critical nasty who has ever read my fiance's work; well, maybe not nasty, but at least thorough.

He reads my work and gives me critical feedback, too. We're both smart/mature enough to know that "It's nice, honey" is not critical feedback nor helpful, and that criticism is not a personal insult.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer

Not really, no.

Who reads your work?

Internet people.

I likes it.

Nothing at the moment. There have been a few times people have offered to do it, but every time it has gotten to the point where I'm ready to send them a piece and get something from them they've stopped talking :shrug:
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
My best friend has been working on a series of stories for years, and I tell him when I think things are stupid or sound stupid because of the way they're written. :giggle: He, in turn, "critiques" my artwork - which unfortunately has gotten lamer as I've improved. :\

It's not *that* much, but it's better than just being told, "OMG SO COOL" I suppose.
:iconslytherinsheiress:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Writer
I have friends from grad school who will read my shit and not mince words about whether or not it sucks, but I'm always looking to expand my circle.
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
1. I used to have a critique partner, but we don't really talk anymore. However, sometimes when he needs the help, I'll help him.
So as of now, I just let whoever wants to critique do the critiquing. :shrug:

2. Strangers. Only ever strangers. Unless someone really wants to read it to tell me something other than omgz it's da best!!!1!11!1

3. Serious feedback is great. Not sure what else I can say.:nod:

4. Haven't really thought of that, to be honest.
:iconhermosossuenos:
HermososSuenos Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't show anything I write to my family.
Someone took my unfinished work and was all like "Oh my gosh, this is so good. It is perfect". It's like, seriously. You are lying to me. I don't think it is good and guess what; I haven't even finished it.
I show my work to people on DA that I know will thoroughly critique every aspect of a piece of writing before I upload properly (which I haven't actually done at all lately and I should be doing). The people I know that are off DA only give my compliments... because they are friends and family.
:iconofonesoul:
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I've tried to show my boyfriend my work - but it's always the same thing.

"Yeah, that's good."

I've actually recently met another writer who lives down my street. The first story I let her read she had only horrible things to say about it.

... we've been critique partners ever since. :iconrubcheeksplz:
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Digital Artist
1. Lotssss
2. Interpeeps on deviantart. Some good ones I let my family read.
3. I crave it
4. Well, when I finish the book I plan to ask for critique from certain interpeeps, real life friends (yes, they're my friends, but they will tell me if things suck, also I want to get non-writer opinions (and some of them used to write too)), and a published children's book author I know. :U
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student General Artist
My most recent story, the one I'm currently working on, I did a critique swap with ~SebastianBux. But usually, I'm not sure. I guess it depends on the project. I'm not in an IRL writer's group anymore, so that's a little frustrating, although hopefully the poetry group I and a friend of mine are trying to start on campus will be helpful.

It's gonna be weird when I graduate and I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of and whatnot.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I DON'T SHOW ANYTHING I WRITE TO MY FAMILY.

Do I win?

(Note: my sister is a cute innocent baby and my mother honest to god/s has a face she makes every time she sees a curse word.)
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Writer
Bahahaha. I think if you're writing YA it's good to have teen readers. But unless your sister is a good reader AND is okay with telling you that you suck, she might not be a good crit partner.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No, she's a terribly adorable baby who thinks I KNOW ALL. Also, her taste in books is boring :stare:

EMILY I AM NOT WRITING YA, STAHP.
Add a Comment: