Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 263

If you could write a novel, what would it be about and why?

:iconofonesoul:
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I really wanna' know. :stinkeye:

When someone asks me what I'm writing - I usually always spit out a brand new novel summary. I can never stay focused on a novel idea long enough to finish it. Eventually I'm sure I'll manage to settle down and curb stomp one out... into my laptop's disk space. But for now, I'm procrastinating with these random thoughts - :paranoid:

We all have thousands of ideas & want-tos when we begin writing; so I wanna' know...

What's one of your novel want-tos & why? :iconiloveyouplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have two novel ideas, both that desperately want to be published.

The first one is a group of were-animals (werewolf, werecat, and werebird) that become superheroes. It's less cliche than it sounds, really. :slow:

The second one is stupid and has no plot, but I'll at least write it out. For all I know, it might go somewhere. :shrug:
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There's no harm in trying, right? :huggle:
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
True. :la:
:iconneiot:
Neiot Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've technically already started a novel series six years ago. I am only going to officially write the thing in three years from now.
It might be rather cliche, but right now, I am trying my best not to make it seem cliche.

In the shortest possible way of explaining this, the novel series will be about a twenty five year old woman who is unwillingly transformed to a beast. As this beast, she claims the fate of protecting the Pacific Northwest from a dragon-like creature who, strangely enough, is literally excreting fecal material, puss and mucus from his many orifices.
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Very twisted - it is original, however; so you've done very well not being cliche. Good luck with it, darling! :iconrubcheeksplz:
Neiot Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ah, I appreciate the compliment. I will return the favor by wishing you luck on what ever you are doing with your time. :iconblanklaplz:
:iconsupertighthugplz:
Neiot Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Why? Because it is about... myself. In a fictional form, of course.
Trust me, I am also trying my best not to make the protagonist look like a Mary Sue.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, I guess I've noticed a pattern in my last few ideas ^^
I like things which are semi-based off of reality, so it's our kind of world, but there'll usually be something random introduced which is important. I've got a few ideas going, I'd explain them in full but I'm about to log off :XD: I have a projects section on my profile if you want information. :meow:
The best way to start a fantasy/fiction (in my opinion), is to start with reality and then lead the reader in. :nod:
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That's a pretty good idea :)
:iconthe-demon-sebastian:
The-Demon-Sebastian Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
Sadly, my mind is fickle when it comes to writing. I get bored with something about a week through, and want to start from scratch. That, or I create so many characters and details, that I can't create a plot to tie all of them together in a reasonable way...

Though I've had a good amount of ideas for stories in the past. (Most of them are fantasy based) My most recent one is about a dwarvern woman, currently nameless, and her daughter, also nameless. They live in a time where the humans who they were once closely allied to have turned on them, and now want to cause genocide on the world, so that only humans remain as the dominant intelligent species.

The story starts off with the woman and her daughter alone in a cell (Which holds 6 people). The daughter is crying about how the prison is segregated between genders, and how it is likely she will not see her father again. As the mother tries to calm her daughter, more prisoners arrive. One is a werewolf woman, who plays a large role in the story, then there is a nocturnal elf woman, and lastly a race that I'm not going to try to describe, since it's pretty weird. They all try to figure out a way to escape, all with different goals. The odd raced woman wants to go back to her home city, which is on another planet. There is a portal on the southern end of the continent that can bring her there. She offers to take the dwarf woman and the girl there, so that they can be safe. The werewolf and the elf want to fight back, and free others from prison. The elf happens to be a rogue character, and is able to pick the lock of their cell. They over power the only guard at the time, and the werewolf puts her clothing on, posing as the guard. With the help of forged documents and a bit of acting, they're able to escape, the humans believing that the werewolf is human, and taking the prisoners to another location to be questioned.

After escaping into new territory formerly controlled by the dwarves, they set up camp before going their separate ways. They're able to steal a two horses, tents, and some weapons and armor. After cutting their hair, and doing make-shift surgery to alter their appearance, they split off into two groups.

The group with the dwarf woman collect enough meat, bread, and water to sustain them when they go into the canyon land. They take one ram, who carries their supplies and the little girl, and are off. Once their food supply runs out, they eat by killing baby dragons and boars. After traveling for about a month, they find themselves low on water, and need to find some more fast. They find they have two choices - Go to the human stronghold set up there, and be captured again, but given food and water. Or, go to the orc stronghold, and risk being attacked, though there is a chance that the orcs would sympathize with them. They decide to go with the orcs, and go to the camp. Like expected, they are attacked, however, the odd raced woman is fluent in orcish from living in a city that was shared by their people, and explains their situation. The orcs are hesitant to help, since the dwarves have been long time allies with the humans (Who have been the orc's enemy for generations), but finally agree to help, refilling their leather skins with water, and giving them as much bread and preserved food as they could spare. A family of orcs join them, a mother, father, and two children of opposite gender, along with a manitaur man and his infant son. After traveling, they learn from the cow man that the portal that could take them to safety is under human control, and that while running from them, his wife and first born child were killed. He then offers them to return to his village on the other continent of the world, where the humans have no influence. While coming up with a plan to hijack a ship to take them across the ocean, they make camp in the mountains.

The other team of the werewolf and elf work out very well. The elf is able to forge documents saying that she is to be the new prisoner at a prison. During their stay, the werewolf will alter the guard patrol, giving the elf time to unlock the cells, and cause a riot, liberating the prisons. After gathering a group of loyal liberated prisoners, they too plan on getting to the other side of the world, where the elf city lies, and they can take refuge, while convincing the elf queen to declare war, and help stop the humans. They plan to get all the prisoners on a boat, and do more or less the same thing that they would do in the prisons. It works in their favor, and they take control of the ship, which is armored, looking more like a war ship than a prison one. As they approach the night elf city, patrol boats quickly surround them. The first thing they see is the werewolf, who is currently in her human form, and they open fire...

Got more to it, and they do manage to meet up with the other group, but it's not quite there yet. I'll probably scrap this idea.
I wouldn't scarp something you've put so much thought into - my dear. If you decide to not write this particular story, you could still salvage some of the promising ideas. I like how it starts with a mother & daughter. It's original & isn't done very often in books I've read. :iconrubcheeksplz:
:iconfafenheir:
Fafenheir Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I'm currently working on three novels (actually a trilogy). I'm working with fantasy, though, where trilogies are a dime-a-dozen. :) I am currently working on the first one- a seemingly standard fantasy that goes a little bit sci-fi/cosmic toward the end. And while there are some parts of this story I find unpleasant to write and imagine, I know that it is all necessary to set up the finale.

But the second book is the one I really look forward to. Whereas the first consists of action, sorcery, and politics; part two will be entirely backstory, with an overall mellow and exploratory mood. The story will be about our main character traveling from village to village, solving paranormal events that at first seem unrelated. It will be a character drama in slow motion, allowing the reader to enjoy each character for who they are, savoring each scene, and to let the reader feel like they have truly met the characters. Where most fantasies define characters by their powers and appearances, this story will focus on who the characters are and what they believe in and stand for on interpersonal levels, and I feel that by knowing this backstory, the finale will have all the more punch.

I know I have high hopes, but I hope that with a little advice from the Deviantart community, I can make it work.
Oooo - a character-driven series. :iconlaplz: Would you consider it more commercial or literary fiction?
Fafenheir Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference. If by 'commercial' you mean to sell, well then no.

Fantasy as a genre is generally corrupted by something my friends and I call 'power quantification', a symptom that commonly develops in series with functional sorcery (like the power to conjure storms or fireballs, wherein characters' value is determined by how much 'power' they can accumulate. The boy hero develops into a powerful knight in armor, or a great wizard, etc., and that is why the audience is meant to respect him. His ability to accomplish his goals is not a product of personality or his innate valuable traits (unless those innate traits concern throwing fireballs). Very rarely is the hero valued for his mercy, or her cleverness (real cleverness, not simply being an average person amongst fools).

Don't misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with having a powerful wizard or paladin amongst the cast, just like some people in real life are strong or smart, but a characters value to themselves and their friends should not be based solely on how easily they can hurt other people. In real life, I don't give a pass to be a jerk for people I think are dangerous; if anything, I respect them even less for throwing their weight around. But as fantasy readers we are often expected to give this pass to the main characters because they are 'special', even if in reality we would find them insufferable.

I'm sorry if my response is a bit long winded. This is just a subject very dear to me, and is one of the main reasons I haven't read a fantasy novel in years. It is a shame that a genre with so much potential so often ends up being someone's D&D campaign in paper form.

I've already started writing the first part and posting it on this site. It's more traditional sword and sorcery than the second part will be, but feel free to give it a read. It takes its time setting up the world and the characters, but I can promise you everything will pay off in the end.
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I certainly understand your point, my dear. Literary fiction usually focuses more on the characters and their development than "selling books". So for you - your desired work is probably going to be literary fiction.

& I'll be :+devwatch:ing for updates on your story, my dear! I'll try to critique it when I have the time. :iconsupertighthugplz:
Fafenheir Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Great! Thanks for reading and replying. All I ask is that you give my current story some time to develop. It's a plot that is best served by dipping slowly into the adventure.
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I'm always thinking about writing about the life (first person) of a normal person/animal who is very, very, negative. I'm having fun thinking about it.
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There could be a lot of sarcastic humor behind that... :plotting:

... do it. :salute:
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
I'm trying to gather up the determination.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I already did write a novel. I think it was pretty good. It had magic in it!

My novel want-to? I want to write something that fully explores death. I would like to write a novel that examines death socially, psychologically and spiritually. And God. Death and God are the themes I would most like to write about when I feel I am a good enough writer to express those notions.

I'd also like to write a really scary book. Something that would make readers feel the way I felt when I read The Shining.

But one thing at a time.
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I love that you want to write about Death - I've actually started a graphic novel with =PiccolaRia centered around the same thing! Good luck with your projects, my dear! :iconrubcheeksplz:
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
And you.
:icontheslender759:
TheSlender759 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
all i make is fan fics there is a one i would make, that is where a man is lost in the world of fantasies and he spends his life there till he is given the new that he will be taking part in some war
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
That certainly sounds interesting! Keep working on it, my dear! :iconbrohugplz:
TheSlender759 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
thank you very much for encouraging me. Dear you
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:iconsupertighthugplz:
TheSlender759 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
DAWW :iconiloveitmoreplz:
:iconwolfos96:
wolfos96 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I have a couple ideas. I want to write a story about a post-apocalyptic ice age, and a story about a group of friends who find their way into a treasure hunt for the Fountain of Youth.
I love the bases for both! :iconlaplz:
:iconeve-lang-el-coup:
Eve-Lang-El-Coup Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm writing infinity novels that are generally going nowhere. Here's a few rundowns.

1) A thriller-like concerning a group of humanoids bestowed with superhuman powers related to voice, vision, smell and feeling and the bad guys that have similarly proficient senses. It's about their banding together and realising that what they're doing might not be as good as their intentions. It's setting is quite bleak.

2) A man dies on his way to a market through a series of unpredictable events between various town folk, animals and 'natures will'. Once dead he is told that the only way to resume his life is to murder the 13 beings that lead to his death that morning, 'natures will' excluded. To do this he would need to recruit a 'recently deceased', however they're all ratbags and have various vices which need fulfillment. The stories main concern is between him and his servant and the final murder which he must do himself.

3) A contestant on a blatantly impenetrable game show vows to murder the host after being told he was incorrect. The host is stricken with panic and heads for his apartment to flee only to find someone else living there. The woman now living there helps him on a journey through a succession of strange occurrences brought on by images and questions relating to the game show.

4) An aging traveling entertainer goes back to make amends with his son. He performs in the city of his sons residence and eventually he and his son make progress. The city though is inhabited by a lot of strange town-folk and they attempt to sever the ties in order to appease the 'order of things'.

5) A detective thousands of years old is asked by a group of 'priests' he hasn't seen in centuries to discover the source that has been making many old people like him disappear. With his better side, best friend and pet he finds a plot that may halt the production of wishes forever.

6) A person struggles to understand why the world is contorting and changing and things pop in and out of existence. If this is a dream why is there no end? It's about reality and not being able to understand it.
Those are all really unusual, interesting ideas! :iconlaplz:

I certainly like the second one the best. I think there's a lot of sarcastic humor underlying the plot. I would love to read it! :iconsupertighthugplz:
:iconeve-lang-el-coup:
Eve-Lang-El-Coup Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Quite a few of my ideas are based on dreams. I tend to remember quite a lot of my dreams so they're never in short supply.

Indeed. I would love to write it!
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Artist
...I have too many ideas to pick from, honestly. I do want to do something with horror, after I finish the story I'm working on now, and something in a pure Fantasy setting.
OfOneSoul Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Horror is actually my favorite! :iconfuckyeahplz: If you ever post something, be sure to let me know. I'll check it out! :iconsupertighthugplz:
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Artist
If I do, I will. Presently, there's just a proof of concept 2-page story. I'm going to be writing the actual full story some time late this summer/early fall -- amongst other things...
I'll be :+devwatch:ing for updates! :iconsupertighthugplz:
:iconnekoryocatsan:
NekoRyoCatSan Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
a sad or memories kind of story~ like a tragic..or Lose Memories stories and stuff :3 you could say that..it will be a sad story :D because i love to read a sad story or watch a sad movie xD
Me too. They're so sad - but I simply adore tragedy. :iconrubcheeksplz:
NekoRyoCatSan Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
yeah xD but i sometimes hate when the main character died and make it more sad >.<
... oh, but I love tragedy. :drool:
NekoRyoCatSan Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i know that tragedy is good!~ >.<
:iconsarahjaderoseblood:
sarahjaderoseblood Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i alreddy did
:eyes:
:iconsarahjaderoseblood:
sarahjaderoseblood Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
EW
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm currently starting on a novel/graphic novel/videogame idea that I've been working on for over a decade now, just because it's taken me this long to finally be happy with it. What can I say, I'm picky.

It takes place in the future after the Earth could no longer sustain life and what remained of Humanity had to leave, colonizing the moon, Mars, and build colonies for themselves in space and on other worlds. Of course, by this time they've come into contact with alien races and formed an allied government with them, but peace is always a fleeting thing and disagreements are ever presant as well as the threat of war.
The main character is a shemale (both genders) Human bred as a military weapon from ancient DNA believed to be from a Human-like species that existed in the early time of the universe and the story follows her journey in discovering what it really means to be Human and what role she plays in the bigger scheme of things.
That's all I can say for now.
I would certainly keep working on it, dearie! I wish you luck in the new year! :iconrubcheeksplz:
:iconumagic65:
Umagic65 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Mmmmm... Probably a biography about Syd Barrett (since I know so much about him)...
Or some stupid story where an alien comes to Earth and tries to take it over despite being stupid... Sounds WAY too much like "Invader ZIM" already! :X
OR OR OR something like a WRITTEN magical girl series. I dunno. I'm afraid it will come out too much like Sailor Moon. :C
Some of the best ideas come from the things we've already read! :heart:
Add a Comment: