Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 189

Put on your big kid pants, writer noobs.

:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
:iconrageplz:

1. You are in a creative field. You can't get better without feedback. Hell, even in non-creative fields, you're not going to get better without feedback. So why do you think you're so special that you're going to burst into the dA writing community and just be like totally awesome without any kind of critique?
1a. Why are you whining about getting "negative" feedback?
1b. Why do you think the feedback you're getting is "negative" anyway?

2. You are in a PUBLIC forum. Everything you put up here is visible to the entire Internets, not to mention the regulars who are in here every day and, in many cases, have been visiting the lit forums for years. Why are you surprised/angry when you get multiple responses -- sometimes opposing your viewpoint -- to your threads?
2a. Why aren't you lurking before you post?
2b. Why aren't you checking out who's who?

3. Nobody is out to get you. 99% of the people who are here responding to your work OR your forum thread are here because they care or are interested in what you have to say and want to ENGAGE you. Yes, sometimes this means arguments or debates, but it's not about being a jerk, it's about critique and discussion.
3a. Get over yourselves. Stop whining.
3b. Why are you feeling so defensive?
3c. We really don't care how old (or young) you are.
3c-i. ...as long as you treat people with respect.

4. EVERYONE has something to learn. I don't care if you're Joe Noob or Stephen King. We all have things to learn and weaknesses and places we can improve our craft. That's why we're here. So when you're ready to put your learning hat on, and you're ready to not only throw down your opinion but to OPEN YOUR BRAIN AND LISTEN, that's when these forums will be useful to you.
4a. Your feelings aren't going to help your craft.

THOUGHTS?

(PS, yes you may air out your grievances about feeling like someone was mean to you here. NO you may not name names. That makes you a jerk.)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013   Writer
I think there are as much complaints about complaints about feedback as there are complaints about feedback. Or something. Anywayz if people keep whining tell them to stop whining and stuff.
:iconevilgiggles1993:
EvilGiggles1993 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
You have made several valid points. If you like giving feedback to people I have the perfect group for that [link].
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Writer
I don't really have a lot of time to give critique other than in the occasional chat vent or to the critique partners I already have. That wasn't really the point of this thread.
:iconevilgiggles1993:
EvilGiggles1993 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
It was just an idea. :) I know some people that are looking for feedback (including myself) and you seemed really level headed. It's all good though.
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Sometimes the truth hurts, but I agree one hundred percent with you. This is an art sharing website, after all. As long as the comment is constructive and I can take something from it, I don't care how well you do (or don't) sugarcoat it. I think it's fair to say a lot of us here on dA are here to improve, anyway. Noobs be noobin'.
:iconsydnerella:
sydnerella Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   Writer
Sometimes I wonder if a lot of the people who get really upset about criticism are even ready to be posting their work at all. Sometimes, I wonder if that's hurting them as a writer.

When I started writing, I never showed my work to anyone. I'm so glad I didn't have unlimited access to internet then, or else I may have been pretty upset by any constructive criticism. I'm thankful that I took time to somewhat develop myself as a writer before I started looking to others for advice. Even when I did start posting at the beginning of high school, I'll admit that feedback pointing out flaws hurt me. At least by then I had some level of maturity not to get angry and put my own feelings about someone's feedback in perspective. Most importantly, I had already decided I enjoyed writing and had developed some area of confidence in it. Those who are just getting started and putting their very first pieces up for critique probably don't have either yet, so feedback becomes the motivator rather than developing as a writer.

You're right - we're in a public forum here. Everything we post to dA is going to be for others to see. There are tons of things I've written that I would never let anyone see. Either those things are crap and I've abandoned them for whatever reason, or they are so personal that there is no point in opening them up to criticism.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are posting what I'm guessing falls into one of the categories above. They also aren't expecting criticism to begin with, and they haven't developed the maturity to handle feedback better.
:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I actually rarely get really critical criticism. I love constructive criticism when I get it. I love to hear it because learning from what I did wrong and improving upon it makes me a better writer! Getting those ones that are only one line long saying things like 'OMG so cool' don't help aside from that brief shot in the arm of a warm and tingly feeling. They let me show people are reading, but is it really going to help me get better? Probably not.

Nobody's out to get me because nobody's out to get me. In the six years that I have been writing, I haven't had any real major complaints in the way I've been writing my recent stories. In my opinion, the characters are believable, have flaws, some of them major as of late, and a world that responds to their actions.

I just don't get reviews as often as I would like. I don't try to include a lot of gimmicks. I just want to tell a story about otherwise normal people in abnormal situations.

Reviews aren't lifeblood, but damned if they don't help!
:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   General Artist
Why do lurking and knowing who's who matter?
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Writer
It gives you a better idea of what kind of advice people give, what sort of tone folks generally take, who the regulars are and who might be trolling.
:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   General Artist
Fair enough. Thanks.
Add a Comment: