Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 117

Change For Us Writers

:iconbeauty-elevates:
Beauty-Elevates Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Writer
I love DA but why do the writers not get as much attention as other visual artist? I mean I know read a story or poem is more time consuming then glancing at a picture but our work takes about as many drops of blood, sweat,and tear maybe more.

I just want to do something to help us get the attention we get as other artist. I would like ideas and answers please. I do not think I am the only one who feels this way but I think it needs to change.
~~~~

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
PS. this is for anyone who honest to god(s) thinks only writers have this issue on dA. [link]
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Writer
nice

anyone who thinks writers are the only one with this issue... this is a life issue. I remember being the new kid in school and the way to make friends with people is to NOT FLING SHIT AT THEM but get to know them, knowing the ones who had been there since kindergarten were the ones who knew more than me. this is no different but it's on the internet so it doesn't count? wuhevs.

you don't assimilate yourself with people by shitting on them. if they're shitting on you, maybe you did something to cause that to happen. accept responsibility that you did it wrong. and if you didn't do anything but say hello and they shit on you, maybe they're not a group you need to be around OR you're not ready for a bunch of personalities that are stronger than yours. that's all i'm saying with new people coming to this forum. there is no welcome wagon here. watch what we do, get to know us first. give us more than a day.

AND NO we're not "better than you" because we were here first, we're just here first and we know each other. when outsider/new people come in with hella attitude and then get mad that we're not more welcoming ... man, FUCK THAT SHIT.

/toss the mic
Also, I don't understand why people think it's only everyone else who should change their attitudes to be friendlier or whatever. No one is asking you to change, either.
because it's all about them.
Probably. But seriously, first day of school, it wasn't like you could do whatever the fuck you wanted and hope the teacher kissed your ass anyway.
it was never that way when i was growing up. there was still fear in the classroom. if you fucked up, you got called out for it in front of everyone.
Same here, dude. I haven't heard it's any different now. I think people just expect more asspats online.
people who expect asspats for doing nothing but the bare minimum are idiots and i have no sympathy for them.
(1 Reply)
:iconlighteremoteplz:
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
And the bronze sculpture community, the egg tempera community, the web design community, the glassblowing community, the animiwamaguri (the cute crochet thing) community. :D
Amigurumi :P

There isn't that much of a web design community (tends to go offsite), but I've seen the sculptors be pretty unhappy about not having their own GM. And note this: we're one of only four galleries that gets its own forum.
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
I love those things, but I can never spell it.

We are too! Probably because we talk so bloody much. :P I just had a look at the categories, and I reckon there should be an artisan craft forum. The other categories can pretty much go under general, digital, photo or lit, but that one kind of sticks out.
They're SO CUTE.

Yeah, right? That's another group of guys who runs into a lot of problems with not getting out there/people being like THIS IS JUST CRAFTS I DID IN KINDERGARTEN/all that jazz.
:iconrileighfreeman:
RileighFreeman Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Listen. This Is An Opinion. And the thing to do is give your feedback. In a nice way please. Just because you've been here a while does not mean you know everything. Step back, and calm yourselves down. This is her own opinion, and you need to respect that. Also, you DON'T know how long she's been writing. You don't know how well she writes or anything like that. And really, you think you know it all? Yeah, you probably do have some major knowledge. But give it out respectfully without the smart remarks. I'm pretty sure a lot of people agree and disagree, and be free to voice your opinion. But back it up with past experience and knowledge. Then you will be a big help.
I'm confused as to how being 'free to voice your opinion' and 'give your feedback in a nice way please' go together. Could you explain why people should have to tone themselves down when a person is essentially issuing a call to arms? :)
I mean say what you want, even if its negative. But you can do it in a respectful way and propose constructive criticism. And what do you mean "issuing a call to arms" ?
Your post is the least respectful I've seen so far. No one has told her to calm down or stop using "smart" remarks (how is that polite, exactly? It reads as sarcastic to me)—they've suggested reasons she feels this way and suggested solutions including moving past it because it's not going to change when the OP has nothing but questions.

"I do not think I am the only one who feels this way but I think it needs to change"—is there some other subtext here? It's possible I've assimilated this with the series of journals and other forum posts on the same topic.
I believe you think I'm talking about Beauty Elevates. If so, you are wrong.
So...not the OP.
It seems like you're trying to tell every single person who's posted here to play nice.
Well, sorta. I don't think anyone should respond in a mean way that would hurt someone's feelings. You can disagree. I am not saying you HAVE to agree at all. I have seen people disagree with what she says. But they don't say it in a mean way. They say it with constructive criticism.
So why your original call to tell people to stop being rude? At least, it seemed like that to me. Perhaps you just wanted to advise people who hadn't responded yet.

Also, there is a gap between hurting someone's feelings—which would be attacking them as a person—and criticizing what they're saying. :)
(2 Replies)
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Writer
Well since the OP is talking about the writing community and literature section on deviantART, don't you think time on the site is relevant?
Yes. And I have been on here. I took your words and conceived them as a lash. But I should've realized how you may have felt about the situation. However, I believe this experience has made me better at responding to others.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Writer
Just lurk more.  And give a little credence to the folks who have been around the block.  Nobody's trying to lord experience over anyone else, but folks who have been on dA for a while know a thing or two that you might not.
True That, True That.
you make a lot more sense now
What do you mean?
you and BE are friends. no wonder she's white knighting for you in the other thread.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Painters are high in the firmament, poets wallow in their own filth.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's easier to decide if you want to look at art from a thumbnail than it is writing. It's a lot more time for the average viewer.
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Digital Artist
I don't think deviantart needs to change. :) It's just what is popular is what people like. More people like to look at pictures than to read here. So DA can't/shouldn't tell people what to like. I reckon that literature is promoted a fair bit on here and because it is a smaller 'community' it is more like a community. More people know each other, even the really pro people have time to talk. It's easy to get critiques and make friends than it is for visual art (for me at least, I do both)
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Everyone does on dA what they want to do and what they came for. The literature community happens to be smaller than, say, photography. You seem to want to make photographers read literature, too. I think that is quite impossible and it would be quite useless. I personally feel that being seen by 10 fellow writers who enjoy reading your work is much more valuable than being seen by 1000 digital artists and photographers who aren't really interested in it nor have much of an idea what they're looking for because their interests lie elsewhere.

Do you disagree?
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Writer
Assuming that the photographers are actually interested in the story (even if they don't write themselves), I'd disagree. People have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't even if they don't use that medium themselves. Feedback from a fellow writer might be more valuable, but I'm not sure it's 100 times more valuable.

There would be other factors at work, too. Say you've written a novel about a photographer who does digital art on the side. Would you rather have feedback from 1000 digital artists and photographers, or 10 people who write sonnets exclusively? :shrug:

But in general, I agree. I could offer feedback on poetry, but I feel like I do more good by generally sticking to prose. I imagine most people feel the same about their particular area(s) of art.
:iconmalintra-shadowmoon:
Malintra-Shadowmoon Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I do disagree. There is one photographer among my watchers faving all my literature: short stories, poems and essays.
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that those are strictly separated communities where no one ever crosses a boundary; far from it. I know very well that many people are interested in more than one type of art. In case it was unclear, I meant to ask if you disagree with the point of my comment; which was that even if you find a way to make others read more literature, there's little point in it if it's not what they are interested in - it's way more valuable to invest that time and effort in fellow writers and readers. Is that clearer? :)
Yes, you are right, I misunderstood your point. Thanks for explaining it more detailed.

I partly agree with you. The other part that disagrees thinks that in first line I do my art just to let loose my feelings (in poems) or points of view. People interested in it, will read it. Others would probably shake their heads. Of course, I feel very honoured when a professional writer considers my works as good, but it is the same to me as when a painter do it because I know that it is not common and I highly appreciate it.
I won't make anybody read my feelings if they do not want to, but I am glad when they do :)
You even can invest time in vain if a fellow writer do not like the style or the things you write about.

Hope you understand my viewpoint :)
When I have started here some months ago, I have nearly thought the same as you do.
But things have soon changed.
When I have seen a group with only drawings I was interested in, I contacted the admin and asked if literature would be allowed. Some of them even created new folders, literature folders for me to enter.
The same experience I have made with contests. The latest contest I have won third place was a OC's drawing contest. I contacted the responsible again, asked for literature. My piece was only literature in a drawing contest where I have won a place in.
So, I have changed ways of thinking. Literature is nearly accepted everywhere. It has to fit the topic theme of the group or perhaps negotiate with the admin how you would like to handle your literature topic.
:iconthebrassglass:
TheBrassGlass Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
:highfive: :D :thumbsup:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Awesome!
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Writer
:iconclappingplz:

you're doing it right.
Thanks. It is just the experience have made in the short time I have been here up to now (8 months around).
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Writer
here's to you for showing that this site, essentially, is what you make it, no matter how long you've been here. cheers :thumbsup:
Yes, I completely agree with you in this point :)
I think you are right, I should view the situation differently. I think I am approaching this in a negative way when it does not have to be.
Probably. Perhaps you should try. If you end up in auto-suggestion that everything around writing is negative, so your result will be this way - as you create something in advance that must not be.
Do me the favour and try it out. Positively. Do not damn visual artists. I adore people who can draw because I cannot. And there will always be people who cannot write and will admire writers.
Give people around you a chance that you get to like them and they will got to like your work :)
I never looked down upon visual artist but I will make sure to keep a positive over view. Thank you. :meow:
You are welcome. Enjoy your Christmas season :)
You Too.
Many thanks :)
Add a Comment: