Details

Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Writing and Inebriation

:iconanotherhappycamper:
I'm really curious. Writers being alcoholics is a common stereotype. Do you find yourselves relying on substances to be creative? Would anyone ever admit to that on a forum? or even to themselves? Does a glass of wine just help you get going?
This discussion is not a new one, I was mostly curious about people's experiences.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Dec 27, 2012  Professional General Artist
Baudelaire wrote a book on the subject called Artificial Paradises.  Haven't read it in a while, but I seem to recall that wine got a glowing review, while he didn't think much of hashish.  So it goes.

I myself like coffee or other caffeinated beverages for writing, and I do find that a bit of wine of alcohol loosens me up.  Not drunk, though, just mildly tipsy.  My experience with other drugs is rather limited, but I can't say anything else I've done helped much on the production end.  Source material, though, it is very good for.
:icondamonwakes:
I rarely drink while writing. If I do, it's generally because I had a glass of wine with dinner and haven't finished it yet. Or I just fancied having a little whisky. It's sometimes a mistake, actually: I find it difficult to write while tired, and alcohol can have much the same effect. But on the other hand, it's good to relax after a long day, so maybe it helps indirectly?

I did used to get up and make a cup of coffee before I sat down to write (and frequently later on if I hit a bit of a slump), but I stopped drinking it altogether a few weeks ago. I was a little concerned that might affect my writing ability, but as far as I can tell it hasn't made a difference.

For the record, I wasn't really aware of alcoholic writers being a stereotype at all, let alone a common one.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
I have the occasional drink here and there, never been to the point where I've been drunk, however. I've never actually written while having a drink, either. However, from what it seems, it doesn't sound like it would help very much with me personally. Everyone I know that ends up drunk can hardly write or type or anything, so I honestly don't know how well I'd be articulating myself under the influence of such things.
:iconclaycowboys:
ClayCowboys Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
I can't write when inebriated and/or stoned. The only thing I really want to do under those circumstances is sleep and/or watch trash TV.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Dec 25, 2012  Student Writer
I'm not sure alcohol is really a good idea while writing. I rarely ever drink, and I've never tried to write while drunk. Alcohol makes me feel hazy; it doesn't really seem like it's the type of thing that can help me think more efficiently or creatively. I think those write while drunk are the exception, not the rule.

I do find that going out to smoke a cigarette can help me refocus myself while I'm writing.

Marijuana is good for brain storming sessions, but that's about it, and I don't rely on it. It just happens that, sometimes, when I'm lighting up, I'm struck with a brilliant idea for a story or a poem. What ever I come up with will require heavy, heavy editing while sober.
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Personally, getting drunk is good for my comedic material, but all other aspects of writing? Nah, it just goes down the drain. I find it hard to grab the pen when I have to make the choice between the whiskey bottle and the pen.

I need stone cold soberity for serious writing. Maybe the occasional gem of an idea can happen, but it's far and few in between.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If I'm drunk I prefer to put on a crappy 80s horror movie and throw my brains in the corner instead of trying to write. Writing just goes better when I'm sober.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Oh, so it's now OK to think of entire groups according to some obsolete stereotype? Cool.
:iconanotherhappycamper:
I said it was a stereotype immediately. Don't turn this into something controversial, I'm not fighting anyone on anything.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's a bit like asking a black man about fried chicken and watermelon...
Add a Comment: