Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

on the subject of Daily Deviations

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Writer
how important are they to you? do they mean anything to you? why or why not?

for those who have had a Daily Deviation, how did it make you feel to get? do you feel you deserved it?
for those who haven't had one, do you think you deserve one? why or why not?

*as for me, i've had five. each time, i feel good for the day. soon afterward, i feel like i have to up my game and that causes pressure to prove it was "deserved" and to be honest, it makes me panic a little.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Writer
So many people on here have had multiple ones, pretty awesome!

I've not had one, but I can't say I'm that fussed about it. I don't really think it's a matter of deserving or not deserving one; just if someone happens to read something of mine that they like enough to request it or whatever. I don't really think of it as an award or whatever. I also wouldn't be able to say if mine's up to scratch or anything like that since I'm very critical of it, especially older stuff.

Though, if I see a lit piece in the DDs at the bottom of the page, I almost always make an effort to read it unless I'm too busy. I like to read skilled, imaginitive works and DDs are a good place to start when the internet's got so much writing to sift through.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
I've received two DDs during my time here. I'll admit, for the day, they do make you feel good, especially when you wake up to a bunch of comments and realise that something of yours has been recognised, but after that, things go back to normal. I am with you on it, though. If anything, they push me to want to write better than the one that was chosen in hopes that my work could improve and have a chance for another if someone things it's deserving enough.

Honestly, I think there could have been more deserving DDs, definitely. I've seen SO many other great works that have been suggested and never featured and I always question why one of MINE was. I'm always suggesting literature whenever I can. Personally, though, there are some other pieces of my own work that I would say I enjoy much more than those that were featured, too.

While, yes, they do make me feel good for the day they're featured and make me want to strive to work harder and make something better than them, there are many other pieces that I know have been more deserving around the site that perhaps haven't been recognised at all yet. Honestly, I don't strive for DDs. If I wake up to one, it's a nice surprise and makes me happy that someone appreciates and recognises my work. Other than that, though, they're not that important.
:iconangeljunkie:
angeljunkie Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   Photographer
I don't keep track of how many I've gotten, which gives a pretty good indication on how I feel about them. It's always nice to get a pat on the head. I do know that I've gotten them on things that I felt the least confident about, but someone liked them so. I don't feel like I have to up my game or get panicky about expectations. Actually, after the first day, I just want to crawl in my hole and hide, and I usually do, because I get tired of people. And I despise favs, and that's pretty much what you get out of a DD. I know, I know. But I'm a comment kid all the way. And it's not like it's really something you can put on your CV...

And then what =futilitarian said.

I do like the concept of them. I've stumbled across some pretty awesome artists/writers because they've been featured somehow (DDs, group things, etc.).
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Well, I would never campaign for one or ask anyone else to do it in my stead. I don't think I'm a terrible writer, but I feel I have far superior writing inside me, yet to escape. It would be embarrassing to have my current work celebrated when there is better work to be done.
I tend not to notice them at all, unless a friend gets one. Then, I am truly proud of them and honor them for the achievement. Some of the folks I watch are amazing writers / poets, artists et cetera, and truly deserve what they got, so it's a joy to see their joy!
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
A Daily Deviation means that someone thinks highly enough of someone else's work to share it with thousands of people. I don't take that lightly, not when I was featured, nor when I did the featuring.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've had five. All of them have made me feel more vindicated that the direction I'm on is a good one. Have they been my favorite pieces? No, but that's what self suggesting is for and I should've done it. But it's a good reminder that the pieces people think the rest of the community should see aren't always the ones that are personally important.

That said, I mostly wait for it to go away because attention...eergh.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Digital Artist
I've got two, and it was bloody amazing! :D

The first time was just like, "ZOMG!" so many comments. :wow:

Then I know what you mean, Raspil, I got follow-up freakout. I was trying to come up with something to top it, and then I was trying to come up with something you would like, and then I ended up just saying "screw this" and going back to writing stories about my characters.

Then I got another DD for a piece I wrote about my characters. And the prince married the pauper and they had baby unicorns. Moral of the story, just be the best at writing the type of stuff that you write, and don't worry so much.

As Lytrigian says, it's not out of reach. Just polish your stuff up and put it places where people will see it.
:icongalaxygoddess:
GalaxyGoddess Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have never gotten a DD and I rather want one.

I know it sounds silly, but to me it's like a gold star sticker. Yes, it has absolutely no bearing on anything, but it's like this little "yeay you did it!" prize sticker. That someone liked something you did well enough that they want to share it with other people, and that it was just good enough that someone agrees.

It sounds kind of silly and childish, but it's true. It's a little pat on the head.

That being said, I cannot in good conscience suggest myself for DD, even though it's encouraged. I just don't feel anything I have is good enough. If someone wants to suggest something of mine, I would give you huggles, but even then this is not me asking, or even trying.

I guess that goes back to my near constant feelings of inadequacy that I've discussed entirely too much. I'm a bit of an annoying person in this regard, but hell, I'm annoying about a lot of things. But, I am working on my "mental problems", as you well know.

As for any negativity they some times generate, that's perfectly fine too. I mean, it's the internet, you expect people to not like you, and be all cranky because they don't agree or whatever.

Hell, lots of people don't like me. *pout*

Oh well.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   Writer
:iconhugplz:
:iconhermosossuenos:
HermososSuenos Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've had no DD's, it doesn't bother me one bit. I feel that if I enjoy what I am writing and work to improve my literature that it will be enough to make me happy.
Add a Comment: