Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 99

what are you currently researching for your writing?

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Writer
is it a new genre?
is it how to do something better?
is it how to do something in general?

there are no wrong answers so share with the class!
find someone who knows what's going on! make a new friend! find a partner!

*i'm currently continuing my research on how to write mystery/detective stories

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The United States military from the 1930s onward. This is so I can find any inconsistencies or vague aspects I can fit a fictional detail into or around, as part of my story takes place at Area 51 and concerns covert operations.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
1600's French monarchy, law, military, and daily life for a time travel fic.
:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm researching several things for two topics I keep switching back and forth for.

#1: Fantasy adventure story. Curses, magic and flying air ships are the majority of what I study. But I do come across random little details that I might like. Such as dragons.

#2: Fairy tales. Most from childhood. I'll be taking my favorite ones and either combining them or creating something new. At the moment, I'm halfway through the story research. I'm on 'Frog Prince'. I found a ton of stories with different endings & stories. I'll be reviewing disney's version and then see if I can find any short movies like on youtube.
:iconfallingstarz5:
Fallingstarz5 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm currently researching:
~Storms
~Greek Mythology
~Ways to die

The last one sounds really odd, I know, but it's for a story.
:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
How make my poems stick out more...Just not sure if they are as good as they can get yet.
:iconneiot:
Neiot Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have been researching countless things, at least in order to write. Currently, I am attempting to figure out whether or not society would cower in fear from the protagonist of my novel series along with what they will be doing when they live with her.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
The last thing I researched was the amount of the body occupied by a digestive tract, for a character who doesn't have one and uses the space for storing some interesting cyborg parts.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm just dabbling in whatever I need to make a particular scene work... :aww: I've looked at quite a bit to do with internal injury and that area of science, and a little about psychology for a few of the characters in my story. Mainly, I'm just trying to give each character a convincing mind and ultimately work on making the story work better within itself. I've done most of the external research I need and I picked a topic which I already know a fair bit about, so I don't think there's too much I need to look up. If I find anything, I'll just ask Google: job done.
:iconmare-of-night:
mare-of-night Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
My current round of library books includes a few about 18th century servants, one about Jesuits, a book of designs for peasant houses written by an 18th century architect, and one about the history of a particular village in France. I haven't gotten time to read those yet, though. The previous round was also 18th century France setting research stuff.

I also want to read at least a quick survey of the most important Enlightenment philosophers before I get too far in writing the story. And also some Machiavelli - I've got a character who needs to be consequentialist even though consequentialism wasn't quite a thing yet, and I've heard Machiavelli's ethics were pretty much consequentialist. (I'm trying to make sure I'm not giving the characters ideas and language that they wouldn't have encountered in their time, so I want to read a little of the sort of thing an educated 18th century person would be reading.)
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'm trying to research Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey." Gothic Horror novels from the 19th century, mafia operations from the depression era to post-wwii, the gestalt-principles of visual perception, and astronomy.
:iconglassperegrine:
GlassPeregrine Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I'm currently renewing my research on the Hundred Years War. I've been reading up on Crecy and Agincourt to get a better sense of what led to the Lancastrian period of the war.
Other areas of research I'm focusing on are:
- How to write without overusing moments of high drama.
- Mercenary, Police and Military strategies and tactics.
- How to kill my inner editor. (I'm doing the prompt, he's just harder to kill than I originally thought he'd be.)
:iconsaints-fan-12:
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
For right now, it's the French revolution.
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Philosophy
Mythology and fables
Maritime skills, navigation, proverbs, knots and common knowledge
Fighting techniques with various weapons (cutlass, spear and hand to hand combat)
Map-making
Nomadic cultures
Psychology
AC/DC circuits methods and circuitry
Ancient astronomy and astrology
Anatomy (human and animal)
Alchemy
Clock/watch making

...Do I have my work cut out for me or what?
:iconlilybayer:
LilyBayer Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm currently researching more about writing and how to improve specific parts of it (time spent on description, pacing, how environment affects behavior...) but recently researched the effects of starvation on the human body, what effect low temperatures have on its healing processes, what types of animals are common to a below-freezing environment, and metal rusting.
:iconglassshields:
GlassShields Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
When I have to research for writing, I end up having to research all kinds of things that seem entirely unconnected. For something I'm about to start, I'm researching apartment buildings (layouts and such), tulpas, different kinds of vampires, and a variety of mental disorders. Yesterday I spent around ten minutes looking up stuff about bedsheets for something I was writing.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Firefighting :lol: There's a scene where a building burns down, and I want to make sure I'm at least somewhat accurate.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I think the last thing I had to research for a story was a few months ago when I read a bunch of articles on how opium was traditionally smoked.  I realized I had no idea and wanted to get it right.  This story also required research into temporal lobe epilepsy and associated psychological issues, along with medications.  I'm sure I will need to research genetics and epigenetics in more depth soon.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Writer
I'm sure I will need to research genetics and epigenetics in more depth soon.
the first time my boyfriend talked to me about this i was so overwhelmed with information that my brain was bleeding. it's cool and all but man, give it to me in installments!
Haha. Luckily, the one scientist character is not the main focus and most of the story is outside his POV, so I don't need to develop the science *too* deeply, I just have to make sure the language is correct. I did write one passage without any research that sounded fairly convincing, so clearly I've absorbed enough from NOVA specials to fake it. ;)
i know Hank Green of the Vlogbrothers has material on this topic.
Hmm, might check that out. Thanks for the tip!
no problemo.
:iconglowstck:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Writer
For the story I am currently writing I have had to do quite a bit of research into Greek mythology. I also had to do research on what the plaques on top of the Mountain "Pike's Peak" said, however I could not find any good sources so I went up there myself.
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Wow. That's determination. :iconchallengeacceptedplz:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Writer
I guess you could call it that lol
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:aww:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Writer
are you serious? that is awesome!
It's only a few miles away
still cool.
I guess so It is kinda nice having the Rockys so close
:iconbogrune:
Bogrune Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
For the past few monts I've been researching:
-Political differences in the United States during the Civil War
-Civilian life during the Civil War
-Life at the battlefield (Confederate to be exact)
-Psychology
-Novel and short-story structure
-And lots more!
nice!

if you need help with novel and short story structure, i have two plot sheets that i use for my novels and shorts that are 100% effective and guaranteed every time. they are yours for the asking. no strings.
:iconbogrune:
Bogrune Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
That sounds pretty useful, thanks! =)
if you want them, let me know, note me.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I had to do a bit of research on human sacrifices in the great Meso/South-American indian nations. Turns out the Aztecs had a pretty hefty system for it which suits the story I'm writing perfectly..not that it plays a major part, just needed some historical tie in and didn't want to name people that didn't do such things.
kick ass.
:iconnekoryocatsan:
NekoRyoCatSan Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i'm researching and reading a lot of sad story lately...i'm still trying to improve with the idea of the story~
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
Been doing a lot of research the last few months on hallucinogenic drugs/opiates (particularly laudanum) of the 19th century, tuberculosis, and Victorian London life ;) I've been getting quite a bit of help and information, but just got a few new books for Christmas today on the subjects. Time to get reading!
:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Sounds like an awesome topic to research. Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas de Quincey comes to mind, and so does Samuel Taylor Coleridge and his experimentations with opium. But i guess you probably have covered that ground with the research. :)
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Writer
I actually purchased Confessions of an English Opium Eater at Maggs Bros. in London this summer when I was still living there! It was a print from the 1800s (one of the earlier editions of it)! I absolutely ADORE that copy and keep it wrapped up when I'm not looking at it. I don't want anything to happen to it :ohnoes:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
That is so awesome! I hope you got the book for a good price. Love old books! Especially their smell. :B
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Writer
I actually did! It was extremely expensive originally (and British pounds are basically double USDs which I was technically spending), but since I showed so much interest in the store (it was at 50 Berkeley Square which I had written some small pieces on and was very interested in the attic hauntings and the police notices around the place :XD:) they sold it to me cheaper. It was still around $100, but it was definitely worth it.

And yesss. Old books have the BEST smell ever.
:iconnight-ice:
Night-Ice Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I've noticed that all of my recent characters are scarily similar to me, so I've been researching different personalities/occupations to change it up a bit.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
How the human mind works, at least on a purely emotional basis.
I want to make my character appear more real and human :)
:iconangeljunkie:
angeljunkie Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   Photographer
Military stuffs, apocalypse/survival skill stuff, making paint out of plants, palazzo architecture, Renaissance social structures (specifically Patronage), and the usual gunk of myth, legend, folklore, etc. that I'm always rifling through.
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Writer
The last research I did was the popular literature on here to see if I could write up some satirical Flash Fiction which has been titled, "Sonic And My Little Pony Love Story Creepypasta".
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Writer
Well, specific to a particular story, I'm researching the geography, history and population of a particular area in northern NSW. Yay for google maps, amirite?

More than that, I'm trying to organise and record the things I already know about writing in general and put them into something clear and useful.
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I would be curious to read your story once you are done with the research and the writing. There isn't enough Australian stories here, especially well-researched rural ones. :)
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Writer
It's probably a couple months from completion but if you are interested, I'll be announcing it's completion on my dA page when it is finished. I tend to set most stories I write in either Australia specifically or somewhere "australia like". It's a "write what you know" kind of thing.
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Same with me. I used to be pretty vague with settings, but I started defaulting to Australia (well, Sydney) because that was what I knew best. Occasionally I'll write about Singapore as well (I spent nine years there) but definitely a 'write what you know' thing. I'm not afraid to try out writing other settings though, but it'll just take more work in terms of research.
Add a Comment: