Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 99

what are you currently researching for your writing?

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Writer
is it a new genre?
is it how to do something better?
is it how to do something in general?

there are no wrong answers so share with the class!
find someone who knows what's going on! make a new friend! find a partner!

*i'm currently continuing my research on how to write mystery/detective stories

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The United States military from the 1930s onward. This is so I can find any inconsistencies or vague aspects I can fit a fictional detail into or around, as part of my story takes place at Area 51 and concerns covert operations.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
1600's French monarchy, law, military, and daily life for a time travel fic.
:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm researching several things for two topics I keep switching back and forth for.

#1: Fantasy adventure story. Curses, magic and flying air ships are the majority of what I study. But I do come across random little details that I might like. Such as dragons.

#2: Fairy tales. Most from childhood. I'll be taking my favorite ones and either combining them or creating something new. At the moment, I'm halfway through the story research. I'm on 'Frog Prince'. I found a ton of stories with different endings & stories. I'll be reviewing disney's version and then see if I can find any short movies like on youtube.
:iconfallingstarz5:
Fallingstarz5 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm currently researching:
~Storms
~Greek Mythology
~Ways to die

The last one sounds really odd, I know, but it's for a story.
:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
How make my poems stick out more...Just not sure if they are as good as they can get yet.
:iconneiot:
Neiot Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have been researching countless things, at least in order to write. Currently, I am attempting to figure out whether or not society would cower in fear from the protagonist of my novel series along with what they will be doing when they live with her.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
The last thing I researched was the amount of the body occupied by a digestive tract, for a character who doesn't have one and uses the space for storing some interesting cyborg parts.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm just dabbling in whatever I need to make a particular scene work... :aww: I've looked at quite a bit to do with internal injury and that area of science, and a little about psychology for a few of the characters in my story. Mainly, I'm just trying to give each character a convincing mind and ultimately work on making the story work better within itself. I've done most of the external research I need and I picked a topic which I already know a fair bit about, so I don't think there's too much I need to look up. If I find anything, I'll just ask Google: job done.
:iconmare-of-night:
mare-of-night Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
My current round of library books includes a few about 18th century servants, one about Jesuits, a book of designs for peasant houses written by an 18th century architect, and one about the history of a particular village in France. I haven't gotten time to read those yet, though. The previous round was also 18th century France setting research stuff.

I also want to read at least a quick survey of the most important Enlightenment philosophers before I get too far in writing the story. And also some Machiavelli - I've got a character who needs to be consequentialist even though consequentialism wasn't quite a thing yet, and I've heard Machiavelli's ethics were pretty much consequentialist. (I'm trying to make sure I'm not giving the characters ideas and language that they wouldn't have encountered in their time, so I want to read a little of the sort of thing an educated 18th century person would be reading.)
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'm trying to research Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey." Gothic Horror novels from the 19th century, mafia operations from the depression era to post-wwii, the gestalt-principles of visual perception, and astronomy.
Add a Comment: