December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 154

what are you best at with your writing?

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Writer
just like it says.

what are you best at? you're good at something, you know you are. it's alright to admit you're good at what you love to do, doesn't it keep you going? to see how good you can be?

here's a time to toot your own horn. i want to know how you are awesome! i want you to tell everyone how you're awesome. it might get you some new watchers...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsydnerella:
sydnerella Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013   Writer
In my longer pieces, especially my nonfiction, I am good at finding a theme or some kind of moral proposition/focus. I guess some larger point which makes my writing applicable to others without being preachy or overt. Also, I like the way I put words together, and the flow of my writing.
:iconbruggush:
Bruggush Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I'm really good at plagiarism. I'm a copy and paste artist, I tell you. :)

In all seriousness, I really don't know what I'm good at as far as the actual writing goes, I don't know if I'm any good at the writing part, but I really believe that some of the crazy ideas for poems I get in my head can be really stellar. As far as getting them onto paper with the right wording and hooks, I have no idea. I've put up two poems I've written, hopefully I'll find out what I'm good at or bad at soon enough. :)
:iconbeeinthebottle:
beeinthebottle Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013   Writer
In poetry, these days, I'm good at capturing "snapshots" or slices of emotion and imagery. In creative nonfiction, I'm good at being vulnerable enough, at letting my guard down enough, that other people can find bits of themselves in the vignettes I write.
:iconcactusskate:
CactussKate Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I think I have a decent grasp on the concept of parallelism. Of course, I have nothing to show for it in my gallery. Yet.
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I've been told I'm good at describing action sequences and characters...
:icontoxic--sunrise:
toxic--sunrise Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I'm good at poetry that appears to come straight from a blender, and creating some of the most complicated and interconnecting back stories and story lines.
:iconglassperegrine:
GlassPeregrine Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Descriptions, Character creation and action sequences. :typerhappy:
:iconspiderlondon:
SpiderLondon Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm best at writing poems, I try stories but I never finish ^^;; Why? Writers' Block and school,school,school, and SCHOOL! I do poems because they relax me and it's my way to write out my emotions
:iconshehrozeameen:
shehrozeameen Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
ummm.... I'm good... at being versatile...

I can't put it in brief so I'll put it in a slightly long exposition.

When I first came here on dA, my first entry was a fan-fiction fantasy blank verse style poem for "shadow of the collossus".

Immediately after that, I wrote a sci-fi alien specific prose, first person, stream of consciousness work called "the conquest of MUZTWA". in essence, that was my first novel series here on dA.

Then came "Vigillum" - third person fantasy prose writing with a JRR Tolkein, Lovecraft, and slightly Freudian/Jungian approach merged with ideologies and constructs inspired by w40k (not directly related, mind you. Just in terms of the cynical approach).

I started writing my poetry and short stories after that.

the shortest I've ever written is "Question" and the longest is "Mise un abime". the former was six words, and was straightforward. the latter was a mix of a rant merged with some form of a story... Apart from them;

My first poem was "A Desert Flower". Although having said that, I have written obscure poetic works as well: "Shadows in the Drapery", "My Inner Sanctum", "The Orchard of Spring", "Apoptosis"... among a notable few.

My old school works are "A Byron's Advice" and "Mistress" - the former is a tribute to Byron, while the latter was purely spur of the moment.

I've written free verse as well - "The Wolves" in particular. its about bullying.

moving on from there:

in terms of short stories, I'm a serious writer - I look into subjects that speak about... more or less human nature's personal side.

Works: "Glass House", "Trembling Hands", "Cold November", "The Dream I used to have", "Labyrinth", "Pipes", "A Perspective", "Look there".

That isn't to say I don't explore further. "The Origins of Squee and Nuu" was my funniest work to date; "Jubal's Terror" and "Jubal's End" are both interrelated works based on a fantasy theme; the "Orbit" series that I've written is my own philosophical take on life; "The door", "Romanticized Sahara", and "Sahara revisited" were my ideas about the year 2012; I once wrote an essay about Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy; "Dear Adult Me" was just a submission for that contest - its not exactly me, its just me playing along with a character.

My personal works, though, are just as serious: "Overcast Skies" was one of them. "Christmas means to me family", the occasional letter I've written.

I've written dialogue writing too: "tra le braccia dela morte e vita perche a vita e la morte" was my first, "You're a fool O Mcbrian" was the next, "Captain Ulmar Wenceslas Lockhart" was a complete play, "The Tale of Lucifer and Constance" was another dialogue driven poem.

Having said that, my most different works are "amor vincit omnia" and the "Krummvisiur Saga" which was a take on a fable based approach (and even in that saga, my approaches vary significantly - it comes out like a play for the most part).

Well... that's just what I've written...
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I had someone compliment my dialogue once. I think I use way too much of it, personally, and don't use enough detail, but that's me. A teacher of mine also said once that my rhyming in poems was really good and apparently I use a lot of rhymes that are not exactly common and most don't think of.

Generally the only thing in writing I consider myself all that exceptionally good at is having my characters convey their emotions and feelings. I've never had anyone point it out, but I think I do a pretty good job at it.
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Most of my work is haiku, but my accuracy and placement of word choice and brevity are the best qualities of my work.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   Writer
talk about critical elements!
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Indeed.
:iconellerochelle:
ElleRochelle Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Writer
I'm pretty good at coming up with unique and original names. lol I've also been told that I know how to keep a reader interested and wanting to read more. I'm good at descriptions too and creating a good love story :D
:icongragonwings:
Gragonwings Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I really like writing emotional stuff. Things like depression, nightmares about someones past... things like that, and, I think that's what I'm best at as well.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm very good at detail and relaying to the readers what they're experiencing in any given scene, as well as developing meaningful, in-depth characters.
:icontheskaboss:
TheSkaBoss Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Casual, conversational humour.

(Also, I've been so much better at dialogue over the past year, I'm still not awesome at it, but it used to be my biggest flaw and I feel this is an achievement worth mentioning more than the humour. ;))
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Writer
I'd like to thing my strength is in character, particularly dialogue. I've been told my characters come across as real people, and I can believe it, because that's what I'm going for.
:iconsaraalaska:
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not sure what I'm good at. I join in contest sometimes and the only ones I place in is Action, so I guess I'm good at writing action scenes, and I believe I'm good at coming up with ideas.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Writer
ideas are useless without proper implementation. plus they're everywhere.
:iconsaraalaska:
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Okay then. Well then I don't know what I am good at :/ I hardly ever get feedback on my writing so I don't know what I'm good at other than possible the action...
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Writer
you have to give feedback to get it. if you think you're doing enough but still don't get feedback, you're not doing enough.
:icon8bitstitchpunk:
8BitStitchPunk Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm really good at describing people and scenes. It's the main reason why every 2-page writing assignment I do at school turns into a 10-page novel. XD
does that mean you're actually good or you haven't mastered the art of editing because you find your words to be too precious to you? there is a massive difference.
:icon8bitstitchpunk:
8BitStitchPunk Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hmmmm. . .not sure. Probably the latter.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
Description, imagery, characterization, theme.
:iconsunowl:
SunOwl Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I have no idea what I'm good at. I can't say what I think works and what doesn't.
how come?
I guess faith in myself has been eroded.
do you want it back?
Yes. I've been considering joining screamprompts.
you are welcome any time.
Thank you.
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Apparently I'm good at characters and dialogue.
:iconglowstck:
Glowstck Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Writer
I've been told I'm good at making the reader feel like they are actually part of the book. They see what the main character sees they feel what the main character feels they do what the character does they hear what the character hears. I'm also good at bringing across a moral or common theme and I'm good at making pointless connections.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Writer
I'm also good at bringing across a moral or common theme

this is intriguing. please tell me more. theme is something i am not very good at and i want to learn all i can.
It usually depends on the type of theme you are trying to portray. For instance in the book I am currently writing there are several themes present. The theme "An ememy is only someone who attacks first" is brought about through the main characters actions and reactions with the other characters. The other major theme "The human race will be it's own downfall" is brought in through what the other characters say and do in relation to the main character.
do you have theme be a thing you think about before you write your story and then go from there?
The theme about humanity was something I had before I started writing, but I saw the other one a few chapters in and I took advantage of it. I do suggest you give it thought before you start at least have a rough idea.
is there something you recommend (a website link, book, anything, i'm not picky) to get me started on learning about theme? it's really the missing link i need to tie my work together neatly. it's something i've been intrigued by for a while now but it's been hard to get a concrete answer for. i'm open to anything! google has given me some answers and as much as i use google, it still seems ambiguous.
Most of what I learned about theme came from personal experence the rest came from my creative writing class. Unfortunatly I do not have any suggestions atm, but if you give me some time I am sure I can come up with something for you. I personally am struglling with my own writing. I have reached the point where I want to give up, but I don't because I have put so much of myself into it.
don't give up. you'll never know how amazing you actually are.
(1 Reply)
:icondragonlordfrankie:
DragonLordFrankie Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I've been told I'm good at writing female characters. Don't know if it's true or not....
:iconnekoryocatsan:
NekoRyoCatSan Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i can do Adventure Comedy or Sad story~ the one i'm working on is a sad story :3
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Negativity. Irony. Surrealism. Incorporation of themes.

worst would be using words correctly, writing legibly, grammar, expending any effort on parts I clearly don't like as much as others, positivity that doesn't come off as odd or creepy... umm... stuff. I don't know.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Writer
i didn't want to know your worst, this is supposed to be a positive thing, DAMMIT! :fork:

i'm totally kidding, write what you want. :)

however, and all kidding aside, i would like to know more about how you incorporate themes, that is my weak point. send me tips, send me links, send me whatever has worked for you, i need to know moar

:iconmoarplz:
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm good at the quick one-liner but I'm beaten by anything more complicated.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Writer
ok
:iconbeauty-elevates:
Beauty-Elevates Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Writer
Since I am so new to writing compared to others, I have a LOT of improvement I need to make, but I guess because I am young my imagination is in a nice place. I am good with teen character feels and making my character suffer (I do not know if that is good thing) but I really struggle with adult feelings since I have no hands on experience.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Writer
is there a reason you make them suffer? it's not a good thing if there is no reason, but that can be for any age range of character. if you're going to make them suffer, why not make them overcome and win in the end?

there's nothing wrong with writing for your age group -- i never write with teen characters anymore; i can't relate to them so what i would write wouldn't be as authentic as if i was still 16.
Add a Comment: